Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

Don’t forget I’m a fitness model on IG :wink:

12 Likes

I hope some of you fine folks got in on the weekend’s turnip cakes. They are delicious and the creamy texture is insane.

This has been my breakfast for 2 days. Gave them a sear on both sides and then pour one scrambled egg over. Finished with a drizzle of Maggi, PRD ginger scallion sauce, and some chili crisp. I would be happy to have this for breakfast any morning.

17 Likes

When one has no gaming skillz to work Tock PRD ressies :weary: have to resort to DIY

#gamingisa21stcenturylifeskill

11 Likes

Picked up the obento from GatsuGatsu out of PRD and loved every bite (yes even the vegetables).

It was the ultimate bowl of yoshoku comfort food–the hamburg steak being the star and the standout thanks to a fantastically savory demi glacé. The wedge salad was also sneaky good. I’m looking forward to them continuing to pop up with other dishes as most recently it’s really just been the egg tarts that have seen any consistent production.

12 Likes

Got some obentos myself and agree with everything @rlw said. I actually sampled the demi-glace beforehand and thought it was too savory and bitter at first, but it was perfect with the hamburg steak and all the other bites (to counter the sweetness). I never doubted you, Todd…

Don’t want to speak for Todd and @JLee, but you’ll likely see more Gatsu Gatsu stuff at PRD going forward.

13 Likes

Its been a minute since I had Hainan Chicken.

The skin really struck me this time around, not only for it’s bright yellow color but for being supremely gelatinous. It was as good (if not better) than I had remembered it. Not having been since they shifted to a Tock operation, it was awesome to see the whole team packed into their small shop, churning out orders as a well oiled machine.

I also picked up the egg tart from Gatsu Gatsu:

And the bao:

It’s astonishing that even with the the number of dishes on the PRD menu, that the team has the energy to deliver and execute on a number of specials as well.

17 Likes

shrimp wonton noodle soup
first time trying the noodle soup since its debut. the shrimp wontons were as good as before and the broth tasted more flavorful than what I remembered. BYOCC.

18 Likes

turnip cakes
this had a little sweet and savory action going on. did an @attran99 and BYOCC and BYOM. hit the spot.
maybe add a little dried shrimp for v2?

10 Likes

For me, the dried shrimp are de rigeur for turnip cakes.

2 Likes

agree, didn’t detect any in my batch.

BYODS won’t work in this case either… lol

2 Likes

Got that obento from GatsuGatsu, this week featuring chicken fried rice and an avocado and shrimp salad. It was fewer components than last week, but equally delicious. Honestly, Chef Chang really has a way with crunchy toppings, because the toasted seed mix on top the shrimp salad–similar to the one on top of the wedge salad from last week–takes those bites to another level.

As long as they keep it up, this will be a weekly get.

8 Likes

My schedule didn’t allow me to pick up this week. I’ll probably get it the next time they offer it. I did enjoy the first obento from last week so looking forward to more of these.
I wasn’t able to try their Banh ho mi either. His whole team is stepping up and coming up with concepts and new items for their specials.
Did anyone get to try the fried shrimp stuffed tofu in abalone sauce?

3 Likes

the shiitake and abalone sauce was umami^2

10 Likes

Nice, I wish I could’ve done some eating out this weekend

1 Like

Pearl River Deli

We started out last Sunday morning headed to Steep LA Tea Room for the StopAsianHate Charity Sale. But we got there about 10 minutes after opening and the line was already way down the street. We looked at each and said How about we make a donation and go to PRD? Done

Since this was impromptu we didn’t do any ordering ahead or even spend a lot of time studying the menu.

Soy Sauce Chicken

I’m not an expert on whether or not the skin was snappy enough but it was very good to me. The sauce was lighter than I expected but permeated the skin and the big pieces of tender chicken nicely without making it salty at all. The rice sopped up all the delicious sauce and the greens were perfectly cooked with just the right amount of crunch. Yep, my impromptu choice was pretty perfect. :blush:

Char Siu

I’m not sure what cut this is. Shoulder? It’s relatively lean, but not dry, with a nice amount of fat. The caramelized sauce on the outside was so good. :hearts: Noodles were springy and again with the nice crunchy greens.

Mapo Tofu Kit

This time I did not forget the Mapo Tofu for home. I added ground Duroc Pork, garnished it with Scallions & served w/Rice. It was so good my husband kept saying “Where’d we get this again? It’s really good. Can we get more?” “Yes, dear”. Definitely on his 2021 Best Bites list. :blush:

18 Likes

headcheese banh mi

grilled lemongrass chicken banh mi

18 Likes

PRD x Chef Ai

Hit the pop up last night with Chef Ai frying up the kushiage and Chef @JLee manning the flattop just mainlining okonomiyaki.

Red Snapper and Chrysanthemum Kushiage

The ideal fish stick. Seriously.

Pork Hiroshima Style Okonomiyaki

While I prefer Osaka-style Okonomiyaki, this was damn good and absolutely ate like a full meal. It’s stacked high and held up nicely in the container on the drive home. It was a picture perfect mess.

Night two starts soon, so go get it!

17 Likes

New Item Alert!

https://www.instagram.com/p/COQ5m5zDs7u/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

13 Likes

Ah yeah! Lion’s head (獅子頭) FTW…

5 Likes