Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

Need @A5KOBE to compare this hainan chicken to Flock and Fowl.

1 Like

Damn I think he has reached whole another level with his Hainan Chicken Rice. Of course I canā€™t taste my screen but damn!

@JLee Dreams of Hainan Chicken Rice

5 Likes

i liked it better than flock and fowl. i think this deserves the ftc bat signal.

batsignal

17 Likes

OMG, instead of the LAT 101 list, maybe we can come up w/ a heroes gallery of dishes deserving of the FTC Bat Signal!!! And Commissioner Gordon can be Sergio!

5 Likes

Good lord. Literally salivating looking at this.

2 Likes

I can say that with Flock and Fowl moving to the DTLV location, quality has dipped. At the old location on Sahara, it was amazing but they only had limited quantities of the poached and the hours were a 4-5 hour window. The rice was like crack cocaine.

I had Side Chick (most likely post @JLee departure) and it didnā€™t look anything like what @PorkyBelly posted and it was not good. The chicken was hacked up and tough, and the rice was so greasy that it felt like careless cooking. That rice doesnā€™t look greasy at all, and for sure it wasnā€™t a yellow tint although that might be a small tweak since then.

I wish I knew about this before it was sold, I am always down for hainan chicken rice :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I imagine Flock and Fowl had to deal with similar issues I did at Sidechick and that was pressure to scale it and train other staff to make it, which while I was still there the quality was overall very consistent from what friends told me. But its still a challenge if the cooks are motivated to keep the quality and at the end of day they will never care 100% as much as I do.

What I like about my situation now is I can cook it when I choose to and I can control all aspects of it. The downside is I have to limited how much is available and that means not everyone can try it all the time but for the FTC hookup just message me directly on my personal instagram account and I can reserve one for you next weekend if we do it again (which we most likely are)

20 Likes

You are the best!

Lol - Veeery close to this really well-made short production (22 minutes long) which came out in 2016: Juan Likes Rice & Chicken

4 Likes

Thanks for the pics @PorkyBelly

@JLee chicken looks great. Is this iteration ala Com Ga Hoi An?

1 Like

Canā€™t wait for all this craziness to be over so I can safely fly back to LA. I am checking this thread daily to ensure nothing has happened to PRD. So glad to hear Needle will be returning. Please thrive so I can eat at these places on my next visit. FTC, keep them in business! :wink:

A Chinatown kid from way backā€¦Love to see Cantonese food making its mark in my old neighborhood once more.

9 Likes

If you are, Iā€™ll grab one for sure! Good looking out on the FTC fam.

Glad your current set up gives you more control. Iā€™ll hit your IG later on today.

1 Like

No but I had that dish when I was living in Chicago at HaiSous and was inspired by the tumeric-tinged rice. Added a bit of tumeric is purely an aesthetic choice but I figured it doesnā€™t hurt, I donā€™t add enough for the flavor to be noticeable, and if anything its healthy for you, although probably cancelled out by the chicken fat.

7 Likes

Omg ribs look great !

@attran99, @Chowseeker1999, @A5KOBE, @paranoidgarliclover
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAtCtlMDOxN/

5 Likes

I donā€™t have any IG account, so Iā€™m gonna be doing this. Thankfully, I have a break in my schedule right around noon that day. :smiley:

4 Likes
4 Likes

your pickup order at Pearl River Deli is confirmed!

Yes!

3 Likes

Got my order in :yum:

2 Likes

Aaaand theyā€™re gone. The ftc bang has found another grazing location along its migratory path.

10 Likes