Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

I was in Chinatown a few hours ago. Nobody’s there.

3 Likes

All is calm in Chinatown. Super easy pick up at PRD. Sorry was driving on my pick-up adventure.

6 Likes

Picked up at 2:00. Not a lot of action in Chinatown. Quite a few Postmates Howlin’ Ray’s folks.

The food was, for the most part, a success. The chicken was tender and flavorful, the broth was nice, and the sauces worked well. The rice, unfortunately, was a bit underdone, with quite a bit of “crunch”. Also got some Mapo Tofu which was even better than last time - such a nice peppercorn flavor and tingle. I not longer want for pork in it :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hainan Chicken Rice! :scream::heart_eyes::scream:
Thanks a million to Chef @JLee and his amazing team for putting together my order and making everything so easy. I was late for my pick-up, so everything was ready. Super easy and (luckily) safe from civil unrest.

It was an amazing lunch. The rice was so fragrant and it was the most moist chicken I have ever eaten. Each of the accoutrements were so good…the entire plate was resplendent and the broth really made it feel like a traditional Chinese meal…I love having soup with my meals. So good that I had two servings. I had some fried shallots lying around and used them as garnish.

17 Likes

@hanhgry I asked about the mapo sauce when picking up my order and they said it’s all vegan.

3 Likes

awesome! thanks @PorkyBelly for checking for me. That’s so kind of you. I was thinking about going to grab some for dinner tonight but things are looking a little…dangerous in central/DTLA area right now so I will try tomorrow around lunch time.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s getting pretty bad now, i would wait until tomorrow morning.

3 Likes

You’re welcome. You’re also in luck @hanhgry, their current special is buy one mapo sauce and one tofu and get one dollar off.

2 Likes

For the mapo sauce do you add your own pork and tofu?

Yep, it’s about a half quart container of sauce by itself, though as @PorkyBelly mentioned they also sell Meiji soft tofu that you can buy together with the sauce (and get $1 off the combo).

Highly recommended.

6 Likes

Yes, sauce is vegan add your own meat, vege, impossible meat, or nothing at all.

Also protest seemed to be away from Chinatown but if you are coming tomorrow (sunday) I would come during the daytime, earlier the better as we may be closing earlier than normal so that we can send our staff home while there is still daylight in case there is another night of protest.

10 Likes

Stealing this, thanks.

1 Like

I have a 5:30 PM order for Hainan Chix but I won’t be taking the chance. Please give to your staff, or the homeless, or another customer.

2 Likes

Hi, @JLee: is your post above still the way you plan to proceed today? My pickup time is 1PM, and I’m going to try to read/watch the news to see what’s going on out there before making the decision to head out.

I am willing to step up to the plate and eat all my FTC brethren’s abandoned hainan chicken orders.

6 Likes

Try calling or texting the PRD team direct. You’ll probably get a speedier response. I’m sure Chef is trying to figure out how to proceed today. (626) 688-9507

1 Like

Just spoke to someone there (maybe Chef Lee), and he said that they’re going to open for as long as they feel is safe today and that updates will be provided, if anything significant changes. I’ll continue to check here and their IG page.

3 Likes

1 Like

Was lucky enough to pick up an order of Hainan chicken plus a pork chop bun and the mushroom chow fun. So wonderful all around. Not like I need to tell any of you :smile:

14 Likes

When were you there??? I was there around 1:10PM.

My first time trying their hainan chicken. Good stuff. The tumeric rice was wonderful, and the scallion sauce was easily my favorite. Bok choy was tasty, too. Such tender and lush chicken (“lush” isn’t a word I think I’ve ever used to describe chicken!).

Thankfully, things seemed pretty quiet in the general area.

6 Likes