Picketing at Cafe Gratitude

Intriguing comment. Do explain.

Did you read your own article? It is talking about consumption of water not global warming. No where in the piece does it do an analysis of water consumption to irrigate and grow crops for the growing population as a supplement.

You realize the earth has gone through periods of cooling and warming for billions of years right?

The 4-5000 year history of man is a blip at best.

Yes climate change is occurring. As it always has. Carbon emissions and the industrialization of the planet may be a plausible culprit. It being “in large part meat driven” is certainly not “incontrovertible”.

Okay… Let’s be fair. We are talking about a flesh & bone creature with emotions and feelings such as fear. That’s a little different than a zucchini.

I attached two articles. Apparently, you were so eager to argue with me that you didn’t fully read my post.

Humans have existed for 100,000 years, not 4,000 to 5,000 years. Almost all scientists agree that humans are creating climate change.

It’s not meat or cows per se, it’s the scale, how the cows are raised, and in many cases what was displaced to make room for them… Eating the occasional retired dairy cow from a sustainable farm does not contribute to global warming.

That’s what Pollan was talking about when he said, “I do think there’s a place for meat eating, but it’s a lot tinier place than what it is right now.”

https://twitter.com/michaelpollan/status/529462493555736576

2 Likes

Even in this article you can see that the science is imperfect and that models run without climate change still predict a rise in temperatures.

The humans 10,000 years ago weren’t raising cattle or driving cars.

@Bigmouth - That’s scary, creepy and funny at the same time. I’ve been trying to add cows to my no-list. Haven’t been successful. Thankfully, beef is not my go to meat anyway.

So it’s okay to threaten killing a human for it?

Save a cow, kill a human?

@robert - I agree. Unless Michael Pollan has drastically changed his views. He also believes livestock farming is good for the planet - to a certain extent - in that it’s helping the process of pollination.

Watch In Defense of Food everybody. It was long and I figured I’d fast forward thru most of it. Didn’t fast forward thru one minute. He makes this stuff really interesting. If you can’t find it watch his series on Netflix called Cooked.

@Porthos - Of course not.

Actually, raising beef at all does contribute to climate change. Small scale farming does obviously have less impact, but not none.

I think that arguments from cattle ranchers (Nicolette Hahn Niman) about the sustainability of cattle ranching to be skewed toward confirmation bias.

I’ll go with what the late great George Carlin said. “The planet will be fine. We’re the ones who are fucked.”

1 Like

Could be. It’s good to question everything. Even the side that confirms your theories.

1 Like

Animal rights terrorists think that they’re trying to stop murder. So far no one has actually been killed.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/animal-rights-extremism-and-ecoterrorism

Um, see below where Robert is apparently calling vegans, “Animal rights terrorists”.

Threatening someone who disagrees with you with violence is what terrorists do.

She has reams of facts to back up her arguments against factory farms and in favor of sustainable ranching. Do you have any facts to the contrary?

I read this quote recently from a letter PETA’s Ingrid Newkirk sent to Yasser Arafat in 2003 when she read donkeys were booby-trapped with bombs to blowup buses, etc.

“Your Excellency, We have received many calls and letters from people shocked at the bombing. If you have the opportunity, will you please add to your burdens my request that you appeal to all those who listen to you to leave the animals out of the conflict?”

She was then asked by the Washington Post whether she would also criticize the attempt by the Palestinian perpetrators to kill Israeli civilians, but she said it was not her business to do so.

It’s absurd!

Obviously only a tiny percentage of animal rights activists are terrorists, and not all vegans even believe in animal rights.

1 Like

Exactly. It’s a terrorist act.