Pizzeria Sei

because of @NYCtoLA’s bad influence I had to try a few pies to pregame before dinner at maude (review forthcoming).

I’m not a fan of the whole soupy center, fork and knife neapolitans, but I really enjoyed these japanese style ones. everything @NYCtoLA described about the crust was spot on, pillowy with a mochi like chew but also with a slight crisp to it.

pro tip: ask for it savoy style if you want your pies with the proper amount of olive oil and salt.

pizzeria_sei_PXL_20220226_002651682.PORTRAIT

pizzeria_sei_ezgif.com-gif-maker (54)

pizzeria_sei_PXL_20220226_003147022

piping hot

pizzeria_sei_ezgif.com-gif-maker (56)

marinara - tomato, garlic, basil, oregano, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt

pizzeria_sei_PXL_20220226_003232795

no soupy center

pizzeria_sei_PXL_20220226_003332533.PORTRAIT

margherita - tomato, fior di latte, basil, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt

pizzeria_sei_PXL_20220226_003619229.PORTRAIT

pizzeria_sei_PXL_20220226_003307951.PORTRAIT~2

funghi - fior di latte, shaved mushroom, slow roasted garlic, pecorino, oregano, fresh thyme

pizzeria_sei_PXL_20220226_004232517.PORTRAIT

big endorsement from cimarusti for this new neapolitan style pizza.

@NYCtoLA review forthcoming…

Screenshot_20220220-175921

Screenshot_20220220-175933

https://www.instagram.com/pizzeria.sei/

https://www.pizzeriasei.com/

13 Likes

Thanks to @moonboy403 and @PorkyBelly for the tip whilst I was figuring out dinner plans. I dearly wanted to dine in, but given family concerns (i.e., a toddler who was in a grumpy mood), I decided to do take out. So take this post with that in mind, though I believe a dine in review from porkybelly is forthcoming.

The below is the spread. We ordered the Margherita (not pictured), Diavola, and Bismarck. Also ordered a Caesar salad, tricolore, and prosciutto + mozzarella di bufala, and the guardiniera pickles.

The Diavola - tomato, fior di latte, basil, soppressata, olive, parmigiano reggiano, chili flakes, EVOO

The Bismarck - Fior di Latte, prosciutto cotto, egg, Pecorino, basil, truffle oil, sea salt

The Prosciutto + Mozzarella Bufala appetizer (includes arugula and toasted bread)

The undercarriage

Pizzeria Sei is run by a husband & wife team. Chef William Joo has had stints at Providence, Angelini Osteria, and then Ronan, so he has quite a lot of experience. I was told the pizza they’re making is pure Neopoletana style, inspired by Pizza Savoy (in Tokyo).

A note that for dine in options, there is a counter with 7 seats, another 2-seater inside, and then two small tables outside. As mentioned previously, I got take out, though I made sure to down a slice of the Margherita piping cardboard hot as soon as I got in the car. It was… fantastic, though it had softened a little from the steaming in the cardboard box even from that short time. Once I got home, I poached, did a quick high temp blast in the toaster oven and that did the trick.

The pizza crust has that pillowy, malleable texture typical of Neopolitan pizza - the cornicione also has a delicate crispness that makes to that soft texture. The tomato sauce was a touch sweet, but not too cloying, and the fior de latte had a fantastic richness and freshness.

It’s tough going wrong with the straight up Margherita. I liked the Diavola (some porcine flavors with a touch of heat, plus the savoriness of the olives) as well. The olives definitely showed restraint - too often I feel olives disrupt a pizza with their saltiness.

The Bismark is unconventional - there’s some truffle oil in there, but the highlight is the runny yolk oozing over the prosciutto cotto.

One thing to note - the caesar salad has a sweet dressing - my wife didn’t like it, so fair warning for what to expect.

All in all, this was fantastic, even if I didn’t get to eat the pizza fresh out of the oven. This is a unique offering even relative to the other neo-Neopolitan styles.

Also, i saw Stephanie Breijo there as I was picking up my food, so I would expect an LA Times piece on this place imminently. You should try to get in before the lines start getting massive!

EDIT:
I was able to go back for another visit and actually eat at the restaurant, and I stand by everything positive I mentioned. The crust (never having touched a cardboard box) was supple and soft, but with a slight crisp. I am far from an expert but I suspect the nod to Japanese style means the pizza is a bit dryer and not as oily/watery as “pure” Neopolitan pizzas I’ve tried. Still highly recommended from me. My favorites are the margherita and the funghi.

Shown below are the Napoletana (add cheese, which I understand is a “Romano”) and the Funghi.

16 Likes

Crisp? So this is pseudo-Neapolitan which means this sounds like something I should check out (I seriously dislike real Neapolitan with the sogginess and knife and fork required)

Thank you for the review! Looks great!

2 Likes

Sorry to disappoint! I think this is more pure Neopolitan than neo or pseudo Neopolitan. Most of the middle was soft with no crispness - only the cornicione had the crispness to which I was referring. I’ll edit my post to be more clear!

3 Likes

Thanks for the fantastic report. It’s a perfect location for a post Angler or Mori bang bang.

Would have been amazing to live 2 blocks from this joint back in the day. The pizzas looks great.

1 Like

It might be a canotto, What is a (cornicione) Canotto pizza style ? - Lovemypizza -.

1 Like

You were dead on: Pizzeria Sei, from a Providence, Ronan and Pizzana vet, opens in Pico-Robertson

6 Likes

I was able to go back for another visit and actually eat at the restaurant, and I stand by everything positive I mentioned. The crust (never having touched a cardboard box) was supple and soft, but with a slight crisp. I am far from an expert but I suspect the nod to Japanese style means the pizza is a bit dryer and not as oily/watery as “pure” Neopolitan pizzas I’ve tried. Still highly recommended from me. My favorites are the margherita and the funghi.

I was hoping you would chime in on this thread! What determines a canotto or not? The thickness? I think the pizzas at Sei seem to have regularly sized corniciones…

11 Likes

Here is an explanation of Canotto, Canotto Style Neapolitan Pizza Recipe | Gozney

2 Likes

Canotto is the Italian word for a round inflatable raft with a large raised edge. At first glance, a pizza canotto looks like a traditional Neapolitan pizza in every way, except that the crust is noticeably larger and puffier.

2 Likes

Very nice info @matthewkang

2 Likes

windy day pizza walk

13 Likes

I would order that salad just based on prettiness.

8 Likes

Is that a salad or the giardinera?

2 Likes

Oh, giardinera probably. Idk, I’m dumb.

2 Likes

Haha I’ve never been either. But was looking at the menu earlier today. Either way this looks great as do the pizzas.

2 Likes

How big are those olives!??!?!??!??

They look like Cerignolas, which are huge. Pitted, sad.

Castelvetranos if I remember correct. I think them looking huge huge is more camera trickery than anything

1 Like