Pizzeria Sei

So I decided to pop my continental US Covid era indoor dining cherry today at Sei.

Alas got shafted, pizza was not prepped (nor assisted) by Sergio. Reminiscent of dining experiences at Q. :confounded:

See you all in 2030.

11 Likes

what time? was sergio even in the house?

Later half of 2ish. Sergio was in the house, just tending to matters in the back. Perhaps I caught him during his afternoon break. Luck of the draw I suppose during off peak hours.

3 Likes

Did it taste any good?

1 Like

Honestly I’m quite deprived after two years of not dining out so not the most objective reviewer. It was good, can’t say it’s the best Neopolitan style I’ve had and not familiar with the Tokyo style Neopolitan. Definitely a respectable pizza and one I’d happily chow on again, preferably with Sergio on deck next time.

6 Likes

Brian Baik of Corridor 109 joined me at Sei for lunch today. Went at open - able to seat us.

Ordered

Tricolore Salad
Margherita
Bianca
Fungi

nice thin soft crust with just the right amount of chew - balanced topping dispersion. Sometimes I feel like the style of pizza has crust that’s TOO chewy where my jaw is sore, but not an issue here. Margherita sauce could be a touch sweeter for me but otherwise everything else was good - the additional salt crunch is a bit off putting at times, but not enough to distract from the overall experience for me.

Very good pizza - very much enjoyed it. Too bad I absolutely hate driving to that neck of LA. Especially in the morning/afternoon. As good as it is, it’s not worth the 1hr of traffic each way for me. But if you’re within a radius of 30 minutes, i’d def rec people go try it.

Sergio prepared the pies - non stop slinging as take out orders were coming in hot and heavy. Had to message @NYCtoLA “who is sergio?”

p.s. I wasn’t super enamored by La Morra.

9 Likes

Pico/Robertson has to be one of the most unpleasant places to drive into and around in all of LA.

1 Like

Anyone got a takeout suggestion nearby?

1 Like

I take out from Natalie Thai quite often. It’s at Olympic and Robertson. Their Thai bbq chicken and bbq pork are pretty tasty.

Sergio did not touch a single pie while I was there.

Overall a very nice addition to the LA scene with the marinara being near the top of my list.

2 Likes

what time?

1-2

I lived a street over from Robertson on Wooster in a single story apartment complex. Three apartments. My back neighbor was a couple with small child. Had no idea what they did for work. Nice quiet family. One day in the 2009 time frame I walk into Umami Burger when it first opened and was getting popular. My neighbor was there. He said this was his restaurant. My neighbor was Adam Fleishman.

The traffic in that area was never worse than when Madonna went to the temple and the entire area was completely swamped with paparazzi. The place where those people all wear red bracelets. It was a nightmare.

There was no good takeout near the area when I lived there but it seems like fortunes are changing. I would have killed to live 2 blocks from Pizzeria Sei.

10 Likes

Kabbalah.

2 Likes

Non Sergio pies. Notably, not-Sergio uses what seems like a truffle shaver for the garlic instead of the crazy thimb chopping technique. Don’t sleep on the not pictured tiramisu either.

9 Likes

Haha I personally use a vegetable peeler :crazy_face:. Also works great for shaving hard cheeses too

4 Likes

If I tried to use a peeler to shave garlic I think I’d cut myself. The cloves are too small or I’m too clumsy.

We have a gizmo that’s specifically a garlic slicer. Probably was a gift since I’d just use a knife.

I use my Kuhn Rikon Y peeler to shave garlic and it works pretty well since it’s a small peeler.

1 Like

I bought one of those because I saw chefs using them on TV all the time but I don’t seem to be able to use it without cutting myself. Clumsy.

1 Like

I took off the tip of my pinky nail and finger with a y peeler when I was a kid. I’ve tried to use them again as an adult but for the life of me I can’t make it work better than a knife style peeler whenever I try.

1 Like