Really good wonton soup?

Who does it well?
Nice HK broth, yellowy noodles and wrappers with tasty wontons?
Craving it!

4 Likes

Tam’s Noodle House

7 Likes

Ho Kee Cafe, San Gabriel

5 Likes

Tam’s Noodle House, PRD…

5 Likes

I also like the version at The Congee in Alhambra.

4 Likes

Sam Woo Village - Van Nuys

Maybe not “really good” but very solid.

12 Likes

Is that roasted duck on top?

Yup

Ho Kee San Gabriel

2 Likes

My favorite is Harlam Kitchen. They have a version that can add on stewy beef!

The broth is awesome! Very light but flavorful

The wontons are stuffed with meat…. Not much in the way of fillers…. The broth inside adds to the soup.

They even offer a dry version if gravy is more your jam. I prefer the dry…

16 Likes

Anyone got a translation for this?

Good lord, that combination seems like it was made in a lab for Mrs. Wiremonkey. Is that a common option? I’ve seen twice cooked pork or similar in wor wonton soup but not stewed beef.

I tend to associate wonton soup with Cantonese food and beef noodle soup with Taiwanese food but only intuitively from experience. If beef in wonton soup is something you can find in multiple places that would be a game changer

stewed brisket in soup is a staple in Hong Kong-style noodle shops. there you can usually mix and match: brisket + wonton, wonton + fish ball, fish ball + brisket, beef meetball + tendon, etc etc. also you can ask for any of the above with different style of noodles too (egg noodle, rice noodle, flat rice noodle, etc). freedom of choice is in the DNA of that style of cuisine

4 Likes

Mmm…stewy beef… :drooling_face:

8 Likes

That is fantastic to know. We’ve actually been craving noodles but in kind of a rut lately.

Yep! I kinda became obsessed about it after one of the final episodes of Parts Unknown. Tony had a bowl just like this in Hong Kong. It’s surprisingly not on a lot of menus which is why I had never had it.
Adding Wonton to traditional chinese/taiwanese beef soups also doesn’t cut it.

But at Harlam Kitchen, it’s on the menu. Wonton and Beef Stew Noodle Soup #26 or Lo Mein #31

Menu 10/28/21

3 Likes

This reminds me of the @J_L -special at Tam’s Noodle House of shrimp egg noodles with beef brisket and wontons.

1 Like
  • made in-house
  • fresh wonton - $20/LB for takeout
  • fresh dumpling - $22/LB for takeout
9 Likes

Traditionally, they’re never mixed but many non-specialty places allow you to add on additional toppings such as wonton and/or braised brisket.

yup. they were called “cart noodle” where a street vendor would have a variety of said toppings in their cart ready to go when you order your noods in the good old days!