Really good wonton soup?

Hu’s Szechwan?
On National?

yes. i know what youre thinking. i was there too before eating recently. I thought it was delicious for easy W L A delivery. check out Yelp for some recent pics.

2 Likes

Welcome @KAS!

2 Likes

Welcome to the board. Interesting to hear about Hu’s. There had been downhill reports pre-pandemic. Will have to check them out again.

1 Like

harlam’s kitchen was a pre-pandemic favorite & i’d bang-bang them when tasty food was still in the same mall cranking out their hainan chicken rice but IIRC they were closed for quite a while and i failed to pick up their transponder when they re-opened. only one storefront out of the eight(?) there was open for a while.

for QPR i’d go with harlam’s kitchen. tam’s is better, but not twice as good for twice the price. noodle boy which occupied the space which now houses noodle palace aka lao xi noodle house’s in-laws was probably the best place before they closed.

1 Like

Finally got there. This was an awesome wonton noodle soup. Thanks

7 Likes

Welcome to FTC!!!

2 Likes

And nice to grab some SJB at Kang Kang next door.

Great little mini mall with

The Congee
Kang Kang
5 Star Hue

2 Likes

I thought these pics were from Hu’s and almost fell off my chair out of shock. Thank goodness I reread the thread and saw that they were from The Congee (which made total sense) before I ran over to Hu’s.

1 Like

That’s funny. Def not Hu’s - which I tried because of this thread but I wasn’t too happy. Nothing like The Congee.

1 Like

That someone would be me. Let me
just say how much i genuinely appreciate you gave it a shot.

In French they say, “Chacun a son gout” or each to their own taste. Ill def give this spot a
try too next in SGV.

Curious, what’s your favorite westside la chinese food resto/delivery? Favorite Won ton soup?

cheers!

2 Likes

I appreciated the suggestion and am glad I tried it for sure. It wasn’t bad at all - for me, just not great. Thought the wontons were mushy and the broth wasn’t to my taste. I also prefer Chinese broccoli to bok choy.

I don’t think I have had any Westside wonton soups that I loved.
I usually find Hop Woo on Olympic decent for “classic” (meaning somewhat westernized) Chinese takeout. Their Sichuan menu is pretty legit, when they are “on” which isn’t always unfortunately.
Meizho Dongpo is great but a PIA to pickup at Westfield.

Qin West
Gu Yi

4 Likes

Has anyone tried the Wonton Soup at Capital Seafood?

1 Like

Not yet but very curious! If you ended up trying it would love to hear how their wonton soup is!

No yet either!

Not directly related questions but which are the best wonton wrappers you can get, something very thin and chewy - ready made / store brought?

Dim Sum House in Westwood has a very serviceable wonton soup.

2 Likes

Uphill alert there from me as well. My last takeout there a few weeks ago was the best they’ve ever served.

4 Likes

Nice to hear.
What did you get?

Don’t want to derail too much (and you didn’t ask me), but I really like their shiu mai, shrimp/spinach dumplings, fried shrimp balls, hom sui gok, salt & pepper shrimp, wonton soup. Other classic dim sum are good too to be honest (I’m no expert, though).

Gripes: When you order online, you have to manually add in a request for mustard and chili sauce as a “special instruction” for each item. (I use CTRL+V a lot.) I think their cheung fan sauce just isn’t right–not sweet enough.

5 Likes