Recipes for Vegan/Plant-Based Dishes and Meals

Peony: Here is the recipe of the “Lemon Dream Pie” - I think it’s this author’s raw vegan version of the key lime pie. Seems that coconut oil+cashew paste (from grinding soaked cashews) is used for the filling instead - which is common for many type of vegan cakes. And oats/nuts + dates for the crust. They do mimic the textures fairly nicely (except being a bit “nuttier”) after getting set in the fridge.

1 Like

Irish moss is just Carrageenan as the main component for gel setting - standard in many kitchens. There are many different ingredients to use for gel setting depending on desired temperature and pH. Selling at irish moss is just marketing to make it more “natural” (even though Carrageenan is nothing unnatural)

Peony: Thanks for sharing! Haha. I am new to baking and “raw vegan” food. So the marketing has certainly worked on me :smile:

Key lime pie is a classic dish with an unbaked filling. Beating the lime juice with sweetened condensed milk causes the milk proteins to set.

Using something substantial such as nuts or tofu would give a totally different texture.

If you want to get a deeper understanding of hydrocolloids (which can be used extensively in cooking to get certain textures - raw vegan and far, far beyond) the Khymos blog is a good place and their Textures “book” full of great examples

1 Like

Warrior: Wild Living Foods in DTLA has a delicious raw, vegan key lime pie that tastes much like regular key lime pie. Not sure what it’s made from. I would guess soft tofu except that they generally don’t use soy in their dishes.

Looking at raw vegan Key lime pie recipes online, most use something solid, like ground cashews, avocado, or tofu (though strictly speaking, tofu has been cooked). So I guess the vegan sweetened condensed milk substitutes don’t have the necessary proteins.

Another approach is to use cornstarch or arrowroot, but then you’re cooking the lime juice which will affect the flavor.

I never thought about that regarding tofu being cooked! No wonder Wild Living Foods doesn’t use tofu. It’s better for it. Too many vegan places rely too heavily on soy, and especially fake soy meats. Wild Living Food relies more on nuts, seeds, avocados, and other good stuff.

Nothing wrong with soy in reasonable quantities, but if you eat a lot of vegan substitutes for meat, dairy, etc. it could easily add up to an unreasonable quantity.

Over a long term, an exclusively raw vegan diet is unbalanced and unhealthy. There’s no fact-based reason to avoid cooked beans and whole grains.