Recipes for Vegan/Plant-Based Dishes and Meals

Saute with garlic and herbs, serve with pasta, polenta, toast, or rice.

2 Likes

Was looking at this recipe the other day:

1 Like

Follow @thechez5’s lead:

2 Likes

Butter and eggs aren’t very vegan.

1 Like

True. But Miyoko’s cultured butter is:

That, plus a tofu scramble (using black salt)

And those mushrooms made in the vein of what @thechez5 cooked, would make for an excellent meal!

2 Likes

Yeah, or even just evoo with thyme would be good.

2 Likes

Making a vegan counterpart of brown butter is a technical challenge, since vegan fats don’t typically contain the proteins required for a Maillard reaction, but reportedly Miyoko’s does.

2 Likes

My attempt to make the GGET vegan strawberry muffins :strawberry:in 2022.

Photo was taken after being refrigerated overnight so it lacks height ‘cuz the fruit sank.

Still a good recipe and I used some leftover soy milk instead of macadamia or almond milk.

For your convenience, please see a copy & paste below:

============

GGET Vegan Strawberry Muffins

Time1 hour

YieldsMakes 1 dozen

(Mariah Tauger / Los Angeles Times)

(GGET Vegan Strawberry Muffins)

BY GENEVIEVE KO

OCT. 23, 2019

Coffee company Go Get Em Tiger serves delicious food at its cafes, including this tender vegan strawberry muffin. This double-strawberry muffin recipe is fast and easy.

Strawberry runs through these super-soft muffins with swirls of jam in the batter and fresh-cut fruit on top. Coconut oil and macadamia milk bring richness to the two-bowl batter, which comes together quickly and bakes into muffins that taste delicious whether or not you’re vegan.

Nonstick cooking spray

2 ž cups all-purpose flour

1 ½ teaspoons baking soda

½ teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 ⅓ cups macadamia or almond milk

ž cup melted refined coconut oil

⅓ cup granulated sugar

⅓ cup packed light brown sugar

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

½ cup thick strawberry jam

7 large strawberries, hulled and cut into ½-inch pieces (1 cup)

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 12-cup standard muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.

Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk the macadamia milk, coconut oil, both sugars, the vinegar and vanilla in a medium bowl until the sugars dissolve. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir gently with the whisk until no dry bits remain and the batter is almost smooth.

Add the strawberry jam to the batter and fold gently until evenly swirled. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups and press the strawberries evenly into the tops.

Bake, rotating the pan once, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

Cool the muffins in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then unmold and cool completely on the rack.

Make Ahead:

Leftover muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.

3 Likes

Apologies if this has been posted upthread, but my favorite vegan dish is New York Times “White Beqns au Vin”. With flavor like this, who needs Boeuf Bourguignon?!

2 Likes

That’s really close to what I make without a recipe. With good canned beans, I would not throw out the pot liquor. I’d probably use real tamari (miso byproduct) in place of salt for more umami and skip the Cognac and balsamic

1 Like

So glad you’re in accord. I have shared this recipe with a handful of accomplished eaters and they have all found it a keeper. Something you can pull out of the hat to please an entire dinner party of mixed diners

1 Like

Peony has made many an incredible raw, vegan dessert from this cookbook and a couple other books:

IMG_0060.HEIC
IMG_0174.HEIC
IMG_0175.HEIC
IMG_6822.HEIC
IMG_6825.HEIC
IMG_6879.HEIC

IMG_7346.HEIC
IMG_7350.HEIC

These vegan strawberry muffins at Go Get ‘Em Tiger are indeed good. Very moist, unlike their vegan banana bread.

How do you bake something and keep it raw?

You pound the English language like it was a schnitzel.

Words have meaning!

Penny: “Raw baking” lets the cake set in the fridge instead of in the oven. Also they have unusual ingratiates such as “Irish moss” (used in the red jelly of the last two red layered cake pictures). A mixture containing Irish moss will form a jelly like texture at room temperate - so no heating up is needed. It’s completely a different cooking methods. Lots of fun and creative ingredients to explore!

440px-Occidental-Petroleum-Logo.svg
41ISLgO5XSL.AC_SY580

I vote for calling it “raw vegan desserts.” To avoid confusion.

Would a no-bake cheesecake be referred to as a baked good? Doubtful!

Yeah, “no-bake” is the normal term.

Can you make Key lime pie with sweetened condensed oat milk or do you have to add some gel or gum?