Recipes for Vegan/Plant-Based Dishes and Meals

3 Likes

This recipe at least cooks the cashews, suggests nut milk instead of broth for richness, and gets body from cauliflower instead of alliums, which don’t belong in the dish. But with all that nutritional yeast and lemon zest it’s not going to taste anything like the original.

Maybe nutritional yeast does taste something like some American “parmesan.”

1 Like

I wish I had gone with the Serious Eats recipe instead, though I don’t think I’ll want to try cooking vegan alfredo ever again :grimacing:

2 Likes

It was a bit of a thought was exercise for my own curiosity and not really Alfredo but i bet it would make a great pasta sauce with some sautéed mushrooms and a hearty pasta shape

1 Like

Vegenaise! Yes, I’m a broken record. I can understand if you want to stretch yourself and do everything from scratch. In that case I agree about using Cauliflower over Cashews. But if you want to cheat

Mix it w/Vegetable broth or Better Than Bullion (veggie or shroom base) and your spices of choice.

Just ignore my overcooked pasta, but you get the idea.

6 Likes

Black Beans & Sausage

Rancho Gordo Midnight Black Beans, Sm Amount of leftover Kidney Beans, Fried Beyond Bratwurst, Garlic, Onion, Dried Chili Pepper Pods, My Chili Powder Blend, Vegan Butter, Better Than Bouillon, Tamari (my sister says soy sauce brings that umami :wink:).

Polenta Squares

Bob Mill’s Polenta/Corn Grits. I substituted butter w/Vegan Butter. Top with your favorite Vegan Cheese & broil to melt (photo was before broil)

Mixed Greens w/Pepitas

Photo is before the dressing - Lime Juice, Grapeseed Oil, Honey, Chili Powder Blend, Salt.

6 Likes

Shepherd’s Pie

Sautéed Vegan Ground Beef Crumbles, Onions, Garlic, Carrots, Spices.

Topped with Mashed Potatoes (3 Trees Almond Milk, Vegan Butter, Salt, Pepper), sprinkled w/mix of Breadcrumbs & Vegan Parmesan then broiled until crispy.

5 Likes

It’s not soy based, but I use Ripple brand plant based half and half for cooking with great results. I have used it to make creamed spinach and creamed corn a few times and it turns out great. I avoid dairy and soy both, so the Ripple half and half is a great substitute for me.

6 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

I think you, @Luluthemagnificent, and I are on a similar wavelength!

No photos, but I did a Shepherd’s Pie/Gardner’s Pie with a base of Beyond Meat crumbles, onions, garlic, carrots, peas, celery, and a whole lot of mushrooms; added a small amount of Better than Bouillon chicken broth as it was too dry. Then a topping of mashed Yukon Gold and Russet potatoes with garlic bread crumbs on top. It was good! What vegan parm did you use?

3 Likes

Good one @boogiebaby.

I’ve been wondering about the thickest non-dairy product to replace cream. The 3 Trees is the creamiest of the pure Almond Milks (no additives). But now that @ElsieDee posted the article about Bees & Almond Growers I’m having second thoughts (want to do more research than one article, though). I bought Oatmeal Milk but haven’t used it yet. It’s why I’m dependent upon Vegenaise - I like creamy stuff and the flavor best mimics butter & meat drippings (btw they make a non-soy version too). I admire the efforts of folks using cauliflower, cashews & soy emulsions and look forward to reading the results. But I’m not actually Vegan and don’t see myself experimenting this way. :slightly_smiling_face: Just trying to use less dairy. Anyhoo, to make a long story short, I’ve seen Ripple but thought it was just another processed Almond Milk full of additives. Pea is a really good plant-based protein. So thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @ElsieDee!

I used Follow Your Heart (makers of vegenaise), but I’m not married to a particular non-dairy cheese product. Also forgot to note a little butter or vegan butter in the breadcrumb mixture, and broth to moisten the meat crumbles. I make these hearty dishes for my son, but since he’s not completely vegan yet I do use real cheese at times.

Happy Vegan Cooking!

2 Likes

Mayonnaise contains no dairy.

Vegenaise and Ripple “half & half” are (like conventional mayo) emulsions of vegetable oil and water. They have slightly different emulsifying agents and flavorings. Both contain sugar (brown rice syrup is around 75% sugar), which seems unnecessary.

Vegenaise original: expeller-pressed canola oil, filtered water, brown rice syrup, apple cider vinegar, soy protein, sea salt, mustard flour, lemon juice concentrate

Ripple “half & half”: water, sunflower oil, pea protein, organic cane sugar, contains less than 1% of sea salt, sunflower lecithin, tricalcium phosphate, natural flavor, acacia gum, guar gum, gellan gum.

Some DIY alternatives:

2 Likes

Anyone got a good recipe for a vegan ramen or soyviche?

A friend made vegan ramen the other night and it was so bare bones that I had to follow it up with 4 asada tacos and a cheeseburger.

3 Likes

I’d try this:

3 Likes

Thinking of making a pot pie next. Any ideas on a good Mushroom gravy inside?

3 Likes

LOL.

Cookie, are you a professional chef? cuz that food looks delicious! Thank you all for the ideas. I am so stoked! Now, I just need good tacos and pizza.

3 Likes

I still love me some Best Foods and always have a jar handy for Potato Salad and such. But it tends to separate if I try to use it like Vegenaise in sauces. Plus it has eggs which won’t work for Vegans.

Those recipes for the Chickpea Mayo and the Allioli look good. The Allioli seems really simple.

1 Like

I have been wondering the same thing!

1 Like

Thanks @Luluthemagnificent! No, I just had a mom who let me hangout in the kitchen a lot while she cooked and also let me do my own cooking at a young age (probably too young). I literally started cooking when I was seven.

Broken record, again. :relaxed: I would sauté Shrooms in Olive Oil & Vegan Butter add Shroom or Veggie Broth or Shroom Better Than Bullion & Water and use Vegenaise to thicken and reduce.

Edit: if you don’t want to use Vegenaise you can make a Roux with Vegan Butter and Flour and slowly whisk in the Broth.

2 Likes