Recipes for Vegan/Plant-Based Dishes and Meals

Pot pie, traditionally you want flour-thickened filling. I’d make mushroom broth: a pound or two of white or preferably brown cremini with water to cover or not quite, simmer for a good while, discard mushrooms, make sauce with broth using a roux of two tablespoons each rice oil and flour per cup of broth. Mix with a lot of mushrooms sautéed with onions, garlic, thyme, and sage, optionally cooked carrots and/or peas and/or textured soy or seitan. Dried porcini would not be bad, but it wouldn’t taste much like chicken pot pie.

1 Like

Coinkydink. I just edited my post to say s/he could also make a Roux. But if you’re avoiding gluten then Vegenaise.

1 Like

If you don’t want wheat, substitute sweet rice flour.

I’ve tried a lot of dairy alternatives. I used to do soy milk until a couple years ago when I realized that I can’t tolerate soy anymore either. The Ripple half and half is the closest flavor and consistency wise to real half and half.

I do use the Veganaise soy free mayo, but i just got the the Kraft avocado oil mayo to try and have to admit I really like it. Tried it in a potato salad tonight and it was really good. I’m really not interested in making my own vegan mayo - I am already limited on what I can eat and cook at home for almost all our meals so I don’t mind using some premade ingredients like mayo, especially when it’s in the background of a dish.

The best vegan cheese I’ve found is the Follow Your Heart mozzarella cheese. Tastes much better than some of the other brands I’ve tried. For cream cheese, its Kite Hill jalapeño cream cheese (almond based). So good on crackers or a bagel.

3 Likes

My daughter is vegetarian. I make her tacos with a black bean, corn, and chayote filling. Add cumin powder, cayenne, and salt after sautéing the veggies. Great for tacos, quesadillas and enchiladas. I like the filling and skip the cheese for tacos. We’ve also done jackfruit tacos too which were also very good. A Beyond burger, crumbled up, is a good taco filling too with some taco seasoning.

For pizza, I use Follow Your Heart vegan cheese and lots of veggies. The guys get pepperoni or sausage on theirs. We’ve tried the faux Italian sausage links but she didn’t care for them so we skip them.

5 Likes

Good stuff. Thanks!

1 Like

Asian markets have so many good mushrooms, i’d get 3 different kinds -maybe maitake, oyster & button; saute hard with some shallots (big pieces) baby turnips or potatoes might be nice, deglaze with some sherry / madiera add your broth, reduce -add some roux & finish with your favorite herbs. Chill/Fill your pot pie bake -enjoy

4 Likes

I don’t have a recipe for a vegan ceviche, but I had a really good one at China Poblano at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas. It was made with thin cut pieces of young coconut meat marinated in lime juice, chopped avocado, and red onion. Caveat- I have never had real ceviche, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it was really refreshing and tasty on a hot day.

4 Likes

The closest thing to vegetarian ceviche in the Peruvian tradition is ensalada de chonta (hearts of palm), which also includes tomatoes, onion, olive oil, and lime.

The only vegetable I can think of that responds to being marinated in acid anything like the way that seafood does is mushrooms. King trumpet mushrooms could substitute for scallops.

2 Likes

Gracias Madre has a similar one. It’s delicious.

4 Likes

As an ex meat junkie, black bean tacos do not excite me. I make a crunchy potato and black bean one that is passable. I’m just going to have to let it go. But you may be on to something, maybe I’ll do crunchy potatoes and beyond meat. Then the problem is I still miss my cheese. I made some gringo tacos with impossible meat and follow your heart cheddar cheese and it was delicious but the aftertaste afterwards was horrible.

Making pizza tonight I got miyoko’s mozzarella, I got the dough from Trader Joe’s, I’m going to use the Rao’s marinara. I’m going to put mushrooms, red peppers, tomatoes, basil and onions. Would love a good pepperoni or sausage substitute. But trying to let go of faux stuff. I really don’t need it.

4 Likes

I got the vegenaise, the better than bouillon, some just egg and some miyoko’s mozzarella last night. I spent a fortune. I see why people just stick with fruits and vegetables. :laughing:

3 Likes

What’s a good vegan ice cream recipe?

1 Like

Charcoal-grilled polenta is about as close to a meaty flavor as I’ve had from a vegetarian dish. Serve with some spicy tomato sauce. Grilled tempeh can also be very good.

https://www.seriouseats.com/tags/tempeh

This coconut-ginger sorbet is rich like ice cream:

http://lauriston.com/recipes.html#coconut

2 Likes

what veggies should I put in my pot pie? potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, mushrooms. What else? was thinking about asparagus…

3 Likes

Parsnips.

4 Likes

Nice. I’m never satisfied with my food at Gracias Madre. I will definitely check this out next time.

4 Likes

Potatoes in pie seems like too much to me. In addition to mushrooms, more mushrooms, onions, carrots, and peas, I 'd maybe add turnip, celery root, parsnip, leek, rutabaga, butternut squash, sweet potato, and/or zucchini. Maybe chickpeas.

2 Likes

I’ve eaten at Gracias Madre a couple times now and I feel the same way. On paper, the menu items sound good. But every time I’ve just been kind of meh on the food. Maybe I’m not ordering the right things.

3 Likes

I’ve not made this but it looks quite appealing:

2 Likes