Restaurants checking vaccination status: threat or menace?

I have an iPhone. I just saved a PDF of my vaccine record obtained from the state, saved it in “files” on my phone.

3 Likes

You can also just create a “Vaccine” album in Pictures and store it there. Easy to change albums and open the record.

7 Likes

If someone asks me for my papers I’m going to tell them something too rude to type here. That’s why I junked the thing. Got an ugly feeling the day this whole card thing started, it sure hasn’t gone away now. History repeats itself.

1 Like

I predict you’re going to have a bad time in 2022

9 Likes

Do tell

2 Likes

Not really the forum for it but since you asked

It starts with de-humanizing people. It’s how we enslaved our African brothers years ago, and how neighbors helped neighbors to gas chambers mere decades ago. Same noxious wind a-blowin today. Once certain people are “lesser than” you can do whatever you want to them with no pesky remorse to stop you. You even start to feel good about them suffering.

I know a woman who’s a university professor, she constantly talks about the unvaccinated or the Trumpers not deserving a hospital bed for anything, even non-covid related illness. Let em die she says. Her colleagues applaud it. All too familiar. Went to San Fran a couple weeks ago on business, wow the place is in a fog of just anger, fear, mental illness has gripped the masses.

We wanted anyone but the orange man, now we don’t even know who’s in charge, who gives our “president” his cue cards he can’t read… who tells him what questions he can and can’t answer…

They told us there would be no passports, no mandates. I took them out at their word not out of foolishness but out of hope. Now you see other countries with police checking people’s papers again… that was the beginning of the end for 90% of my relatives in that era. That era we swore never to repeat.

Same sorry wind a-blowin now. Just a warning: don’t ever let anyone dehumanize your fellow man. Even if they’re on the other side of the political aisle or you find their views misguided. It always led to a sad place before; it will again.

But this is a pastrami thread.

3 Likes

No offense, but that same noxious wind has been blowing constantly for as long as people have roamed this earth. There’s always some group that is oppressed. If it’s one thing all of human history has shown, it’s that we’re incredibly good at being horrible to each other. It’s always been like that. It’s just that many people nowadays no longer feel the need to hide it behind a fake smile, and social media and “tech” has given us an undesired peek into the dark recesses of people’s minds and an understanding of just how nasty people are… and likely always have been.

Just my $0.02.

That’s why I need to stuff my face w/ f*cking pastrami. :slight_smile:

::shrug::

6 Likes

Ahem. You not being able to see a Dodger Game in person because you made a political choice on your health isn’t the same as someone who has been SYSTEMATICALLY oppressed. Showing your ‘Vaccine Card’ has been standard from the time you were in Kindergarten. In fact, I had to show mine to get into Grad School for a third world field of study in my 30s (The exact same one because thankfully my “Brown and Proud” Chicana Mom kept it all that time).

That being said… the Langers family has always been beyond wonderful and gracious, which makes their Sandwich even more of joy to have. So glad they are protecting their Patrons and Staff. After recently being caught in the middle of a management/staff snit at Brents due to them being short staffed… More they do to put focus on supporting their staff… the better we all are…

13 Likes

There are so many wrong statements in this post that it is really not worth following up. But as a German seeing your comments about gas chambers and comparing them to anything in the current situation just shows that you obviously have really no clue about history and what happened when for which reasons.
And it is always good to see when people don’t care about the thousands and thousands of people who didn’t have to die because of Covid (or not getting a hospital bed when they need it because non-vaccinated people are occupying them)if people cared for each us and get vaccinated (but yes, how can politicians just care about not unnecessarily killing more people by mandates) and instead blame everybody else.

11 Likes

Which is more dehumanizing: having a restaurant check vaccine status to keep out people who by their own free choice are far more likely to infect others, or catching Covid and dying?

Bars already check IDs. Gyms and Costco check membership cards. Can’t get on an airplane without ID.

Who did?

9 Likes

I had a feeling when reading the words “papers” and “history repeating itself” this was going in the direction of nazism. I hate when anti-vaxxers (includes those forced to get one) compare the horrors of nazism and slavery to government mask & vaccine mandates implemented to protect people from illness, death, loss of income, school & business shutdowns, over-burdening of hospitals and healthcare workers, not to mention the loneliness of being separated from loved ones.

Anybody who has an irrational fear of being tracked by the man should throw away their smart phones. They’re doing a lot more damage to your privacy then a vaccine card.

P.S. I can’t wait ‘til I finish losing my Covid-19 lbs so I can take a big juicy bite out of a #19… cole slaw on the side.

16 Likes

I was wondering this, as well. A cursory internet search shows

Addressing reporters, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said there would be no “federal vaccinations database” or a “federal mandate requiring everyone to obtain a single vaccination credential”.

“The government is not now, nor will be, supporting a system that requires Americans to carry a credential,” she said.

Such a statement (which seems very carefully worded to me) is not inconsistent w/ this

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-03-29/biden-administration-working-on-vaccine-passport-initiative

As far as I know, there’s still no talk of a federal mandate for all citizens.

Private businesses presumably have always been allowed to screen customers, as long as those decisions were not based on state or federally protected classes.

2 Likes

Also… this is where usually the “States Rights” folks should go YEAH!! Until… it’s inconvenient for them… then it’s all jackboots and little mustache imagery…

5 Likes

I love this.

2 Likes

I was just in France a few weeks ago. They require proof of vaccination or negative covid test to enter the restaurant. Vaccination rate has gone up to nearly 85% over the 2 months period. The nicest part is that when you enter the restaurant and have your code scanned, nobody wears masks anymore. One can argue about the risks of transmission in a group of 100% vaccinated asymptomatic people, but I can tell it is very nice to dine and see no masks.

4 Likes

You are comparing vaccine passports to the Holocaust? From one Jew to another, have you lost your mind? So incredibly disappointing to read this nonsense on this or any forum.

13 Likes

Huh…but I guess it’s okay to dehumanize the president, calling him senile and imply a conspiracy manipulating him like a puppet.

Showing proof of vaccination or other types of papers has been standard for travel or doing a lot of things in society. Equating it to holocaust is just such a ridiculous argument.

Responsible innocent people are dying because their easily treatable illness are unable to be handled due to hospital systems overwhelmed by unvaccinated covid deniers. If someone doesn’t believe in the science and medicine behind Covid and the vaccine but gets sick and takes up hospital beds and denying treatment to responsible vaxxed people, I can see the relatives of the dead responsible vaxxed person raging against why the unvaxxed person should be denied treatment or at least have lower priority.

If they don’t believe in the science of the vaccine and doctors advice, why are they going to the hospital.

I see a lot of misplaced anger in your post. Raging against vaccine papers and mandates but not the deniers and anti vaxx who have caused the situation.

If everyone who was eligible to get vaxxed and gotten vaxxed, the country would be close to pre-pandemic times with no need for masks or mandates.

I think it’s utter madness to rage against “showing your papers” vs the reason for why papers need to be shown.

8 Likes

Yes, absolutely. We’re way behind due to an obstreperous minority resistance.

Until then, I have no fundamental problem with showing proof of vaxx. We show our drivers license to cops if they ask, don’t we? The problems are logistical ones.

To simplify things, I made up reduced-size copies of both the CDC and CA records and laminated them at a size the fits into my wallet (as in, back pocket wallet).

2 Likes

Reliability

First of all I already stated I got the vaccine

But what I compared to nazism was NOT having to wear a facemask nor even the requirement certain people in certain sectors get a vaccine.

It was the dehumanizing. Seeing people as lesser than, and treating them as such. And we see it now. In this thread. Anger, hate and some of it being directed my way when all I did was call for a little peace, common understanding and mutual respect.

I said I got vaccinated. I warned against de-humanizing people. And it was met with VITRIOL. I think you all proved my point rather perfectly.

But apparently, this is no longer a pastrami thread.

1 Like