Restaurants checking vaccination status: threat or menace?

This is EXACTLY what scares me.

First of all, most scientists and experts agree pandora’s box has been opened, Covid is here to stay and nothing we can do is likely to eradicate it completely.

“deniers and anti vaxx”
vs
“responsible innocent”

Those are all PEOPLE, my friend. Don’t ever let yourself forget that. Or would you like a social credit score to be taken, to determine who gets care?

Maybe that way these deniers, anti vaxx and trumpers can all die and we can celebrate… is that it?

We still haven’t eradicated the 1918 Flu virus, but we manage to co-exist with it. There are very few people who really worry about it anymore.

Yep, covid is here to stay. Hopefully just endmic, not epidemic.

2 Likes

We may never get rid of it entirely but we can drastically reduce community spread and consequently hospitalizations and deaths right now by not letting irresponsible unvaccinated people go places where the virus spreads most easily, such as indoors at restaurants and bars.

There’s nothing dehumanizing about that, or about calling people with no serious reason not to get vaccinated assholes. What’s more human than being an asshole?

1 Like

Humanity. I think I’ve said all that needs to be said.

I prefer the more delicately disparaging term “obstreperous”, as in “obnoxiously defiant”.

But “assholes” will do in a pinch.

4 Likes

I’m not your friend and your condescending tone smacks of hypocrisy coming from someone who claims to be against dehumanizing, etc. Where in my response did I say they weren’t people? I gave you a reasoning as to why some people may feel that way. In no way did I make a judgement unlike you.

LOL! That’s your takeaway from my response? Where did I say anything about celebrating death.

These come across as strawmen emotional arguments. but I don’t see any empathy coming from you about how many people who feel they have sacrificed feel that they are the ones continue to having to pay for sacrificing while the anti-vaxx and deniers are a big cause of prolonging the current situation.

I don’t believe you’re arguing from a good faith perspective. So really spare me this bs about your concern regarding how people are being treated when you’re doing the exact same thing.

10 Likes

A few years ago, people in Berkeley organized to stop the police department from having dogs, since it reminded them of “Bull” Connoir and was therefore inherently racist.

Exactly. I didn’t know pointing out false equivalencies is equal to being a fascist… But when you don’t have a solid argument to counter… that is a good as any I guess…

2 Likes

To me, one of the most galling things about the past 18+ months and the pandemic is the sheer hypocrisy and selfishness of the anti-vaxx deniers.

I certainly don’t think it’s “de-humanizing” for many people to think that segment of the populace is selfish and hypocrites. Healthcare workers who are utterly disgusted by the stance of anti-vaxx people are still being professional in treating those people while they’re being subjected to contempt and physical attacks.

So again, who exactly is “de-humanizing” whom?

7 Likes

Use your best judgment. Do I need to go out to dinner or whatever to spread or get covid . I know people who were completely vaccinated and got sick . This whole idea is not foolproof. Stay safe

1 Like

Nothing is fool proof. But the math says that being vaccinated means there’s a very low chance of passing it and also a low chance of catching it. The odds compounded drop the overall chances even more.

Lowering the risk and making it safer for immune compromised and other segments who are unable to get vaccinated is the safe, kind way to treat each other.

8 Likes

You seem to forget that those who die because of people who don’t want to get vaccinated are also people which get even more “dehumanized” by just becoming a number on a long list of unnecessary deaths. Nobody wants that antivacs die but why should we care more about them than those who have already died or will die in the future because of them. People are literally dying because of people you are defending. Why don’t you care more about those families who have suffered so much pain by those who don’t care about their fellow citizens and are OK with their deaths.

3 Likes

I’ll still look at you as infected. Regardless. Playing it safe . Thank you.

And an even lower chance of dying or exhausting the healthcare system like the unvaccinated.

3 Likes

Even before the vaccine were started to be administered it was clear and often said that because of the nature of the covid virus that there will always be breakthrough cases. So nobody ever claimed that the vaccines were foolproof. The only way to make them nearly foolproof is to vaccinate everybody

4 Likes

Plenty of anti-vaxxers are vaccinated. It’s called keeping your job. You may or may not be anti-vaxx but your sympathies and rhetoric are very anti-vaxx and very orange. You’re damn right people are angry, exhausted and have lost their manners.

11 Likes

Lol no I don’t think thinking people who won’t get the vaccine are selfish assholes is equivalent to the fucking nazis Jesus Christ dude.

7 Likes

Wow can’t believe you can compare anti vaxxers and deniers to SLAVES and JEWS KILLED IN THE HOLOCAUST with a straight face? The former are actively killing people in the general population with their “personal choices” ie selfishness and spreading misinformation, while the latter were oppressed, killed, and enslaved for their race, appearance, and/or religion.

This post isn’t meant to “de-humanize” you but rather to point out how terrible/reprehensible /illogical/false your point of view is. You’re clearly human you just don’t seem to be a very good one…

7 Likes

Incorrect I compared the people who would wish death on those people to the people who inflicted pain and suffering on people they viewed as lesser-than in the past.

You turned my argument into what you wish it was so you could oh-so-righteously spew the hatred you’ve been stoving up for who knows how long.

And I became a target for casting aspersions at those harboring such hatred, and warning it’s the same hate that’s caused much greater suffering in the past, and could cause that level of suffering again if we’re not careful.

Hate is never good, but the most dangerous hate is the kind where a majority of groupthinkers begin to characterize their hate as righteousness. THAT and THAT ALONE is where the comparisons to the worst hate events become relevant.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’d like to get back to the pastrami thread, please.

Why can’t you write something without lying.

You really are clueless about any part of history

So, why do you hate all people who disagree with you and also show no empathy for those who suffered loss during the pandemic

5 Likes