Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

I have resisted joining the Venmo revolution, but you may have convinced me.

2 Likes

We are mostly eating at home with getting take out at local places. Twice we have ordered from Honeybird USC for lunch since we can ride our bikes there and order straight from them via phone. Yesterday, they noticed our standing order. Ala carte dark meat pieces and their Chinese Chicken Salad and offered if we wanted to try their heat and eat Hainan chicken.

WhUT?! They are making Hainan Chicken! It turned out that since there are still many students living at USC’s foreign student housing, just on the other side of the complex (And yes, the Chinese food trucks still park there), they wanted to offer them something familiar and homey that they could microwave for later. The cook was really proud of it. “It’s like Savoy’s!” he said! It looked really nice!

So because I had already gotten lunch and had dinner planned out, I put it away in the fridge and headed it up for lunch today. I took out the sauces and pickles… I do how I do with my next day rice dishes and dizzle some water over it and put it under a microwave cap and headed it up for about a minute and half…

It came out perfect! The chicken was juicy and plump, especially for white meat! The Rice was soft and delicious. I haven’t had Hainan Chicken Rice this good since Grainavore (RIP!). Not even Flock and Fowl has Chicken Rice this perfect an flavorful. They pickles were great. A little on the spicy side. The dipping sauces were okay (This is where Flock and Fowl has everyone beat). The kecap manis was oddly unbalanced. Like they tried to thin it with additional soy sauce or something… The Scallions were a bit too oil and kinda flavorless (Could have used some garlic or chili flake or something). But the Sriracha spicy sauce was excellent. Between that and the pickles, I was all set.

It was a hefty portion for $12! There was a second layer of chicken under that first one you see. So I can see how this is popular given the trucks mostly deal in greasy fare and will buy again.

18 Likes

It was pretty good but to me a step below the pie. It did make for a good dinner for two overall; if each had their own pie it would have been way too much.

1 Like

I have done his sashimi platter and chirashi box - both outstanding.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_DkFXADJlO/

6 Likes

SOAG MENU

All the ice creams are great but that Bourbon Crunch is insanity!!

The Spicy Chicken Sandwich is something new.

Lol! @PorkyBelly the masked uni! :rofl:

2 Likes

What was James’ role at Hayato and currently at Raku (Aburiya Raku right?)

Great news. I’m sure the opening date is not a coincidence.

2 Likes

I don’t know what his official role at Hayato was, but I saw him help with prepping the food. Not sure what his current role at Raku is - I just know he works there, and I picked up the sashimi platter from Raku. Perhaps others can chime in.

4 Likes

Wow, Maude is offering quiche, one of my favorite foods. Never been to Maude, but I’m assuming with their pedigree, it would be good quiche. And whole roasted cauliflower. I’m tempted! They also have matzo ball soup, but I’m gun shy about that one after the horrible matzo ball soup from Birdie G.

2 Likes

where do you see what they have?

Kind of a dumb system, but you have to go on Tock and start the reservation process before the menu will open. Once you request a time, the a la carte menu will pop up. Lots of enticing choices – much more so than from other restaurants which seem to be mostly peddling extremely unhealthy gobs of white carbs. Also some restaurants are only offering “family meal” – again chock full of unhealthy stuff – so it’s nice that Maude is doing both family meal plus a la carte options.

I see, thanks!

I would imagine so. Please report back if you do get it.

Okay, I just ordered for next Wednesday. Got one of each kind of quiche because I figured it would freeze well. Despite my dismal experience with Birdie G’s matzo ball soup, I risked an order of that. Also went with the cauliflower.

If I weren’t back to forgoing sugar, I would have ordered the carrot cake since I love carrot cake. Also the whole chicken was tempting but I’m not big on leftover chicken and a whole chicken is too much for one so I skipped.

Kiriko Sushi combo for lunch today $20+tax. This was quite tasty and came w a side salad and miso. Unfortunately not nearly as good as the Shunji bento I got a few weeks ago. For the price it’s great qpr considering Shunji’s is $50… but Kiriko’s Shari is so much below Shunji it’s crazy.

Dinner take out from spicy bbq - pork bbq dinner combo with fried rice, khao soi and veggie pad see ew ($5 pick up covid special)

First time going here and unfortunately had to be take out. The Khao soi was really good, I think better than Pailin @Nemroz. The bbq pork was my favorite that was awesome… for $20 you get the pork plus a huge plate of shrimp fries rice… easily enough to feed to people. Support them!!

13 Likes

Mendocino Farms is doing a “Mendo Meal” option (4 sandwiches/salads [can mix and match], 2 deli sides for $40). Pretty good QRP, IMHO

7 Likes

carmakase part III #covid15

izakaya tonchinkan

shime saba bo-zushi
@JeetKuneBao

sushi omakase

Ruby B.B.Q.

macau pork

20 Likes

Nice SGV Bang Bang!!!

2 Likes