Rustic Canyon - still solid

Once again impressed with the quality and original flavors at RC (though it’s pricy and the room is very loud). Chef moving toward more Middle Eastern flavors

– Monterey squid, green tomato, castelvetrano olives, shatta, aioli
– Hand-rolled couscous w/Coleman’s* pea tendrils, feta, beldi olives, brown butter
– Lamb merguez, red dandelion, freekeh tabbouleh, Peacock raisins, green garlic toum

10 Likes

We were Botanica fans (pretty much the only ones who posted here?) before the chef moved to Rustic Canyon. We like the new Rustic Canyon. We like her cooking. But we prefer the old Rustic Canyon. The new Rustic Canyon is a bit over-salted, over-tangy, and under-nuanced for us to consider it in the same regard as the old Rustic Canyon. It’s a completely different restaurant now, with much bolder flavors. Where did the old chef go?

1 Like

chef Andy Doubrava is at something “nomadic” now called Slow Burn.

1 Like

Thanks. Seems like unless we become food groupies we won’t be eating his food anytime soon.

Zarah is leaving September 1 for a position cooking at a friend’s restaurant in Lisbon. Jeremy Fox will then be stepping back in, at least for the while.

6 Likes

sounds good! I love his food

Went tonight. Stellar meal. Shrimp toast on cornbread, figs and pancetta cotto, farmers cheese dumplings and beef tongue were highlights. Lamb main was great but vv pricy.

Cocktails v solid too!

3 Likes

hmmm might want to try this again. the menu is definitely more to my taste than the previous head chef

Yeah, I liked the previous chef but it was definitely not my fav menu. I preferred Andy’s food (not a knock on the other chef she was mega talented and it was more a preference thing)

Current stuff is just my vibe. Like birdie g’s smorgasbird menu but a la carte

2 Likes

How long is Jeremy supposed to be running the kitchen? Is it temporary while they look for a permanent replacement or a long term thing? I have a $150 gift certificate to use there so I go desert covered.

1 Like

The first one

hahahaha

There’s also an amex 40$ statement credit right now which helped!

1 Like

My kid will graduate college in 3 years instead of 4 years, so that will probably help cover appetizers & service charge (but probably not valet parking).

2 Likes

very solid meal with sergio back fulltime in the kitchen. loving the menu, will be back.

murray’s ‘fuyu’ persimmons, pancetta cotto, flora bella arugula, juniper, & yuzu

outstanding. imma order anything with persimmons.

heirloom tomatoes marinated in their juice with burrata, capers, cantabrian anchovy, & bread crumb

delicious. imma order anything with anchovies.

crispy sweetbreads, weiser farms sprouting broccoli, tamari caesar, & parmigiano

very good. imma order anything with sweetbreads.

warm beef tongue, weiser farms potato, & house-pickled cornichon, & sauce gribiche

good. imma order anything with tongue.

bone-in pork chop, ‘fuji’ apple, fennel pollen, & xo sauce

smart pairing with the pork complementing the ham in the xo sauce. imma order anything with xo.

honeycomb ice cream

as good as antico’s.

18 Likes

Nice.

1 Like

Wow, haven’t been since Andy Dubrava left! Going to have to go back and check it out for sure

2 Likes

Sergio is a wizard and we appreciate him taking the helm again. The gnocchi were ethereal.

The cocktail program is also pretty strong.

Would go back again and again.

5 Likes

Maybe I’ll try to sneak in solo tonight and grab a seat at the small bar

3 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly

The meal looks fantastic. How were the persimmons prepared? Thanks.

1 Like