Saffy's - East Hollywood

Unless the laffa station’s backed up.

8 Likes

That shawarma was incredible. Infused with the taste of lamb fat without being greasy. I think it was re-crisped after shredding to render out the fat and impart a very thin delicious micro crust. Amazing.

Saffy’s is the restaurant I thought Bavel was going to be. Still a little pricey but the ingredients are top notch and there’s quite a bit of hands-on cheffing happening here.

Don’t love the location.

7 Likes

How did you like the kebabs?

Had one of the lamb kebabs and the mixed beef cuts shishlik - both superb with lovely appointments, just not quite as memorable as the shawarma.

And the laffa is a highlight.

5 Likes

We had mixed feelings with ours. The only standout was the chicken.

1 Like

Inconsistencies during the first week or two of business? Maybe we got lucky?

Or maybe it’s just my lowered standards after the soul-crushing drive from the west side.

5 Likes

do they still assemble the shawarma for you or is it diy?

how’s the laffa sitch?

DIY for us.

DIY plate with Laffa split in two

— c

1 Like

a couple new to me dishes with @chrishei out on his secret cheat meal :shushing_face:

turmeric mussels - carrot, habanero, lime, coconut cream, scallions, toasted flatbread

the mussels were a little scrawny but the flavor and the crispy-chewy flat bread were delicious. pro-tip, order a side of piping hot coconut rice to sop up all the sauce.

yellowfin crudo - smoked trout roe, mushroom tzatziki, pickled shallots, seeds, dill, fried laffa

solid and even better with the fried laffa.

hummus ful - slow cooked fava beans, cumin, lemon, fermented serrano, soft egg, challah

the piping hot challah may have passed bavel’s piping hot pita for me.

tomatoes - smoked eggplant purée, feta, cinnamon, sesame, savory, cilantro

wood-fire shawarma plate - sumac onion herb salad, tomato, tahini, ajika, laffa

for some reason I liked this better when it was assembled it in the kitchen for you. but I can see why they went with the plate.

chicken shishlik - garlic, cumin, cinnamon, green fenugreek, sumac

pork kebab - garlic, shallots, black pepper, urfa, cumin, parsley, cilantro

get the chicken. eat more chiken.

bergamot chocolate cake with rose ganache

soft serve cherry & pineapple swirl

17 Likes

How was the pork? @PorkyBelly @chrishei

“Bergamot chocolate cake” - that’s sounds worth a little trouble.

2 Likes

Is everyone on FTC enabling @chrishei’s cheat meal(s)? @Hungrydrunk

Who’s next ? :joy:

9 Likes

Lol, hey man, I think he’s got 3 cheat meals a day. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

9 Likes

Menashe’s shawarma is a revelation. He stacks alternating layers of thin slices of Wanderer beef from Australia with slices of California lamb and patties made from ground versions of both meats. “The patties both lock in the juices and help get the right texture,” he said during a recent meal at the restaurant.

8 Likes

I take issue with the headline! Pineapple is one of the best toppings on pizza! I welcome all the @'s from ppl disagreeing.

11 Likes

Probably the rare miss of the bunch. Fatty and grainy but not juicy.

:pig: :pig:

1 Like

If I die FTC has blood on its hands. :drop_of_blood: :drop_of_blood: :drop_of_blood: :drop_of_blood: :drop_of_blood:

13 Likes

You all need to have @chrishei sign a release form before enabling his cheat meals @PorkyBelly @Hungrydrunk :rofl:

6 Likes