Sally Schmitt and (The) French Laundry

… since it was not “The French Laundry” when she owned it. We saw the NYT documentary (maybe 20 mins?) on YouTube yesterday. I didn’t know the story of the first owner (Sally Schmitt), and it was kind of nice learning about the history of the place. Nothing startling or groundbreaking, but well worth a watch, IMHO.

I’m not sure what you’re saying. It was The French Laundry when she owned it. Originally it was an actual French laundry. You mean it wasn’t world-famous until Keller bought it and pioneered passing off a series of canapes as a meal?

Yes, but I think she called it simply “French Laundry” (b/c it was, as you said, an actual french laundry beforehand) w/o the “The.” Or, at least, that’s what it seemed to me from the short (it’s not a big deal and it wasn’t commented on in the film).

Okay. So it was called The French Laundry back when she owned it. In the short, she simply referred to it as “French Laundry.” ::shrug::

Everyone always called it “the French Laundry.” Seems very weird that she would drop the article.

Sweet little film. I wish I could remember my one meal there beyond that it was very good and the atmosphere was charming.

That railroad ice factory footage was something.

She says “the French Laundry” throughout. Once she says “our French Laundry” and another time that someone wanted to create “a French Laundry chain” (what a clueless idea).

The Apple Farm farm store is a must if you’re in Anderson Valley. The lodgings are a bit expensive for me.

Whoops. I could’ve sworn she had left it out once. I watched late last night, so my mind might’ve been a little gone.

I’m almost never in that area but will certainly keep the apple farm in mind!