Sawa - Little Tokyo

Some new items on the menu

11 Likes

what’s on top of the saba?

I’m pretty sure it was the shiso vinaigrette they put on the smoked chu-toro dish but I’m not 100% sure

2 Likes

Anyone looking for a March 10 (FRIDAY ) at 7:45? I’ve got two seats I can’t use and would be glad to transfer. Figured I’d offer here before I cancel thru the restaurant

that’s Friday

Welp, you’re right. FRIDAY reservation available lolol

1 Like

Anyone snag a seat to the KID sake event or the uni event later this month?

I wish

1 Like

the sake nights are still available.

1 Like

How long is a meal here? Trying to figure out if I should hit the bar at Kato before or after a 7:45p sawa res.

Ate there this weekend. Fun meal—though to be honest, I think they’re basically doing a slightly worse version of what you get at Sushi Bar in Encino. A little less “out there” but still a focus on fatty cuts, a lot of blowtorch, and cocktail pairings. For this kind of thing I think Sushi Bar is more dialed in.

2 Likes

I’m going to respectfully disagree. Sawa is thoughtfully more focused on an Edo-style omakase and the actual restaurant is geared towards a higher end experience. I do wish they would use a binchotan log rather than a torch. The cocktails at Sawa are straightforward classics with a bit of Japanese flair, but are all executed perfectly; every cocktail I’ve tried there is 10/10. I had a good amount of non-fatty fish at Sawa before as well, and their “starter” dishes are thoughtfully prepared.

As for Sushi bar, I think they are relying on fatty, torched dishes to cater to the American palate (i.e. blowtorching bone marrow onto eel). In my opinion, the “out there” nigiri was more in line with having a bunch of ingredients they know people like (toro, caviar, wagyu, yuzu, ponzu, etc.) and throwing darts at a list to pick their combos. Sushi bar was fun don’t get me wrong, but the hipster vibe was felt from the food, to the ambiance, to the waiters the entire time, which is something I don’t want to associate with sushi.

5 Likes

I hear you on that. I think Sushi Bar has evolved to do a lot less focus on just the fatty cuts in the last year, and think that while sometimes the creative bites overwhelm the fish, other times they really accentuate it. I enjoy that they don’t claim to be particularly authentic in any respect, and ultimately think it’s a welcome respite from all the obsession with purity in sushi.

I will agree with you, though, that the cocktails at Sawa were pretty excellent. I had a great Boulevardier.

1 Like

I for sure lean towards purist in the sushi spectrum, different strokes for different folks! That’s why LA has such an incredible sushi scene. I should probably give Sushi Bar another chance, the first time gave me a pirate themed tiki bar meets sushi meets silverlake restaurant vibe :rofl:

3 Likes

Well last night was awesome! Heiwa brewery and their line up of Kid sake and Muryozan sake were in the house along with a brand new menu from Sawa with dishes like
mushroom shrimp tempura (a Kaneyoshi crossover I think?)
Oyster chawanmushi
Torotaku handroll
Katsuo sashimi with garlic, onion, daikon, apple
Tai sashimi with a peanut-goma sauce. This dish was very reminiscent of a Thai chicken satay dish with the sauce and cucumbers, best bite of the night! Lots of good conversation, lots of sake (like, unlimited sake!), and amazing food as usual. I absolutely LOVE this brewery and it was quite the experience to try all of their offerings at once, especially since they were expertly paired by Shota-San of Fifth Taste Distributors. They were offering three bottles for sale at the end of the night including the Muryozan 30 for $3000, only 7 bottles in the U.S.! :exploding_head:

15 Likes

That’s quite the hand roll!

And I’ll bet, with potato chip-like nori.

1 Like
8 Likes

Sawa is still my favorite spot in the city. It’s always a great time. Anthony, Ryo, and Natalia are amazing. Fried scallop with the shibazuke tartar was incredible. Rice was on point as well!

8 Likes

Are they letting people in for more of a bar and a la carte drinking snacks situation yet?

No, but there were a total of 12 people at the second seating last night.

1 Like