Sergio’s home: 106 seafood underground

There has been a few posts on FTC that Sergio’s gone underground, cooking at his home. Anyone following him on Instagram @checochef has seen Him post remodeling of his yard for his backyard restaurant.

A quick search for Sergio on this board yields not 1 or 2 but 9! Posts one Sergio’s whereabouts.

This is the first blog “review” of his backyard underground restaurant that I’ve seen—but theres not much useful information—no Hours, days of service, phone…or why he’s no longer part of the Casio family operation. His IG doesn’t have that Information either but thought I’ll share this because of our love for Sergio’s where abouts.

106 seafood underground

8 Likes

Peñuelas operates 106 Seafood Underground from his home in Lennox. As of January 2019, California allows home cooks to prepare and sell meals out of their home. California became the first state to legalize home cooking but that similar laws in other states are already in the works. The new law builds on the 2012 California Homemade Food Act, which allows people to sell prepared low-risk foods created at home.

TIL. Anyone know what the actual name of the law is so I can look it up?

AB626. It’s a complicated issue/law–technically the blog post is incorrect about that state law legalizing him to cook at home…it requires local county and state to buy in and enforce the law–for now only riverside is only county to have bought in.

1 Like

Thanks for this!! I am definitely going to go

1 Like

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/eh/misc/CAHomemadeFood.htm

ab 1616 is not the same as ab 626, though both are mentioned on the blog.

you guys think if i started a pop of up proper armenian lamb and pork kabobs armed with social media skills it would work? of course i’d have to get fired from my work work first but still. seems like a no brainer in a decent area.

also my middle name is Sergey… aka Sergio

11 Likes

yes. it actually would work. Instagram hordes will be like lemmings and if you’re half way decent, it’ll be the best ever.

You can start doing it over the weekend just to test the water.

2 Likes

Much apologies for the thread drift and thank you for the updated deets regarding Sergio as well as the informative article.

This bill would, among other things, include a microenterprise home kitchen operation within the definition of a food facility, and would define a microenterprise home kitchen operation to mean a food facility that is operated by a resident in a private home where food is stored, handled, and prepared for, and may be served to, consumers, and that meets specified requirements, including, among others, that the operation has no more than one full-time equivalent food employee and has no more than $50,000 in verifiable gross annual sales

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB626

1 Like

Add a 3% surcharge and wait for the free internet publicity.

5 Likes

hmmmm… this is a good idea… i dont know where i’d want to post up though. what’s a heavy concentration of bars where nobody is going to mind a lot of good smoke? :slight_smile:

i’m going to institute -3% undercharge if you bring your own biodegradable plate just for the fun of it.

1 Like

we’ve seen your grilling skillz…and there’s nothing like that in LA (streetfood wise). Mideast taco’s by the minikabob crew is the closest can think of.

3 Likes

i need to hit some hipsters up for a clever mash-up pop-up name …

the closest thing I could think of is Dollar Hits (I guess they’re no longer a stand?)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/dollar-hits-los-angeles-2

1 Like

Behind Tabula Rasa, where La Morra sets up on Wednesdays?

http://www.tabularasabar.com/calendar?view=calendar&month=08-2019

1 Like

whoa… that’s a cool idea thanks… something closer to home would be better… but i kind of want to try gray my cousin’s mangal and try a few fridays :slight_smile:

i want to do a test this weekend. have to do my own meat blend.

Home is where?