Sergio’s home: 106 seafood underground

Happy birthday!

If you are there tonight, can you get some updated hours? Previously he was closing at 19:00. Happy birthday!

11 - 7

Happy birthday! Report back

Photos to come soon.

Called early afternoon to make sure they’d be open in the evening, and they were. After parking on the street, walked into the open gate to the back of the house, where Sergio was hanging out. He welcomed us and pointed us to the seating area, which is a pretty setup, with a soft covering (roof and walls), dangling lights, and, of course, the kitchen setup. Unfortunately it was pretty cold, so we sat by the space heater and couldn’t see him working; next time I’m definitely sitting somewhere where I can do that.

A pleasant family member/friend/coworker was the waitress, and she brought us chips and a spicy and cilantro-y green salsa, took our drink orders, then asked if we knew what we wanted. We didn’t, so we walked over to the chalkboard on the wall of the kitchen setup, immediately ordered the pescado zarandeado, then asked Sergio and the waitress for recs. We ended up going with the green apple ceviche, aguachile, camarones borrachos, and chili shrimp to go along with the pescado.

It was incredible, all of it. The green apple ceviche came first. I’ve often talked crap about mexican ceviche in the past, saying it was basically cat food compared to peruvian versions. This version was spectacular; spicy, citrusy, and tart, with a ton of fresh, high-quality seafood. Not long after that, the aguachile showed up, with ten large, beautiful shrimp arrayed in a green liquid. It tasted absolutely perfectly balanced, with the again unimpeachably quality shrimp’s taste really shining within the liquid.

Soon after, the two cooked shrimp dishes arrived, the borrachos and the chili. The borrachos were great, with a bit of spice and a lot of umami. The rice that got soaked in their sauce was maybe the best-tasting rice I’ve ever head. The red chili shrimp weren’t spicy, but they may have been the single most delicious thing we had–was that fleeting flavor dancing on the back of my tongue cinnamon? I dunno, but I can eat that dish (and, of course, the flavor-soaked rice) every day forever.

We finished with the snook. It was my first time with Sergio’s snook. It is everything that everybody says it is–even after the huge amount of food we had already eaten, we demolished it.

All told, two raw dishes, two cooked shrimp dishes, one massive fish, one beer, and two bottled waters came out to $108 before tip. Just a crazy value given the quality of the fish and the fact that it’s really freaking Sergio cooking for you in his backyard

We had the place to ourselves the whole time. The place should be absolutely packed, and if you’re looking for a great first place to take a visitor after picking them up from LAX, skip in-n-out and take them to what, to my mind, is the best possible intro to what LA food is about right now.

Damn I wanna go back tonight too :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Fantastic. I’ve been wanting to go back. Next time have a lot more booze and it’s even more fun. a 1 beer birthday is inspiring.

3 Likes

That’s what happens when your eating partners are a pregnant woman and a pilot :slight_smile:

1 Like

we call those designated drivers! anyway, happy birthday

3 Likes

The line is going to be longer than Howlin Rays before long . Jealous . Sergio is cooking . In his backyard nonetheless.

1 Like

Not in Inglewood. Becky and Chad ain’t going regularly

6 Likes

Maybe it’s the traffic .

1 Like

So it’s the traffic

You said Becky and Chad!

1 Like

Well…106 Seafood Underground is definitely not underground anymore.

4 Likes

Happy for Sergio, but the game might now elevate to n/naka-level for rezzies.

5 Likes

I know. I better start working on it now. We have a good friend whose family is from Sinaloa. I showed him the photos. He instantly named the cooked dishes, yelled for his wife and charged me with putting together a group thing! :grin: Wish me luck.

6 Likes

you know what time it is

Nice line today

17 Likes

Way to rock it, comrade.

What a mistakea to makea

Boracho sauce blessed.

Sergio’s kid (I think) is wearing the one you gave him

9 Likes

Long wait to sit today.

Just going to share interesting things new to me. This time. Tho we got 8 things in total.

This fried fish over a dank sticky lime sauce called chicharon was crazy!

Cucarachas Is the perfect beer snack . Crunch crunch nom nom

Langostinos going over well with my protege

20 Likes