SF Bay Area miscellaneous reports

Well, considering it’s generally classified as a breakfast food, maybe that’s why.

Tried United Dumplings on College on the glowing recommendation of my foodie hairdresser.

Nice. Not the usual spicy version I expected from some of the other dishes on the menu.

I’m not sure why the dan dan noodles were toss-it-yourself. Pretty good though I won’t order it again.

Singapore chicken curry fried rice. Mild, pretty good, not my order.

Grandma’s pork pot stickers were very good. Fried tofu was very light but still crunchy.

Beef celery dumplings were excellent, very juicy, beef falling apart like ropa vieja. I’ll definitely order these again. We’d taken a few before I took the photo, there are 8 to an order.

Nice addition to the Chinese offerings near Berkeley. Looking forward to going back to try more.

New Malaysian place in the Tenderloin, sadly underrepresented cuisine around here.

Had an errand in Pleasant Hill so tried Montesacro in Walnut Creek. I was curious about their Roman dishes (when I went to the one in SF they had no pasta or secondi).

Eggplant fritters ($15) were quite nice, delicate.

Porchetta ($16) was tasty but it was disappointing that the skin wasn’t crisp. Surprisingly large portion for the price.

Cacio e pepe ($23) was really, really cheesy. Not what I was expecting but tasty and I polished it off.

Carbonara ($26) had a lot of sauce. I would have liked more guanciale in bigger pieces and crisped up. Tasty but not really what I want in carbonara.

Also had agnello scottadito ($36), very nice fried potatoes ($9), bread ($5), ciambelline ($6), and a bunch of wine. It was a fun meal but for the price I’d rather go to Perbacco, Cotogna, or Belotti.

If I wanted somewhere to eat in Walnut Creek I might go back and get appetizers and pinsa like the Italians at a nearby table. One of them had the focaccia del muratore (plain pinsa stuffed with mortadella), which also looked great. They also have some wines you don’t see very often, like a Bellone.

I may have posted this before, but contrary to marketing nonsense pinsa is not a traditional Roman dish. It was invented around the early 90s (various people including Corrado Di Marco and Angelo Iezzi take credit), inspired by the ancient Roman practice of combining whatever grains were available.

Tried the Oakland branch of Pixiu Mala Hongtang last night. It’s a Korean twist on Sichuan. This is the fourth US branch, the manager said there are a hundred in Korea. They’re also in LA, Portland, and Dallas.

It works like a salad bar, you get a big metal bowl and a pair of tongs and load it with whatever ingredients you want. A few more expensive ingredients like shrimp and bacon are on skewers and charged by the each. I liked the squid and quail eggs as much or more than the more expensive skewered proteins so didn’t need to spend so much. Then you choose soup (Mala Hong Tang) or stir-fry (Mala Xiang Guo) and your desired spice level. I got the latter with spice level 3, which was just about right for me. End result was pretty good though I should have piled on more noodles, looked like a lot but they cook down.

They bring you rice and condiments. No kimchi. They’ve also got a few a la carte dishes, beer, soju, makegeolli, and a big selection of Korean soft drinks.

Bar Sardine prosciutto plate

burrata with Jimmy Nardellos, shisitos?, and corn

One of my favorite places!

Get the duck deboned! The combination of duck, skin, plum sauce, and duck au jus……:heart::heart_eyes:

Omigosh, that place/food sounds incredible! So on Stockton just before Broadway. A million thanks for this. We’re hoping to get down to The City before long and will certainly check it out.

1 Like

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Brothers-reinvent-their-father-s-meat-shop-in-12375005.php

Yep. That’s the article I read. Google is MY best friend :slight_smile: Incredible, isn’t it?

Especially when you’re looking for something you’ve read before.

Oh, sorry. What I googled was the name of the place and there was the article. That’s how I knew how great it sounds. Can’t wait to go there and get some pig :slight_smile:

Lots of options….

Char Siu
Char Siu Jowl (pictured)
Roast Pork
Roast Duck
Soy Sauce Chicken

Im not sure if they have the offal parts. I’ll have to ask the next time I am in the city.

Their “About the business” on Yelp is pretty funny.

i think the roast duck and roast pork are where hing lung really shines - ming kee for char siu and chickens. the trifecta is hing lung meats, some egg tarts (e.g. at yummy bakery), and coffee movement. coffee and egg tart is an outstanding combo - similar fat interaction as with donuts

gotta disagree with you on the deboning! i think the duck with bone is categorically the better option - it somehow feels very incomplete without the bones…

1 Like

I like eating the duck with all the sauces, rice, skin, and meat in one bite! The Uncle chopping up my duck also threw in a duck leg that I enjoyed. I agree with Ming Kee’s strong points but Hing Lung Co ain’t bad at all for char siu and chickens.

Hing Lung Co x Yummy Bakery x Coffee Movement.

That’s a great trifecta!

I think I last reported that Golden Gate Bakery was boarded up and look like it was close down.
But I also read they open up for Mid-Autumn Festival?!?! Still the best egg tart I ever had.

1 Like

the las time i went by golden gate, it seemed pretty resolutely boarded up… if you still around tomorrow, and willing to cross the bridge, year of the snake currently holds the egg tart crown (https://www.instagram.com/yearofthesnakefoods/).

1 Like

Molinari’s Special on Dutch crunch.

Should have asked for extra vinegar and oil this was pretty dry. Maybe next time I’ll just ask for Molinari’s salame with mozz and lots of vinegar and oil.

The best Italian sandwiches imo are in South Philly! No other place quite hits the same for me

They’re the first place I bought Ortiz Spanish tuna. And they even told me a way to serve it. Mix with a little chopped red onion, capers, cilantro, a little Champagne vinegar. Every body loves it :slight_smile:

1 Like

was that dutch crunch warm? warm dutch crunch is a whole different ballgame!

for when outsidelands is gone, theres a sandwich spot out thataway Palm City (https://www.instagram.com/palmcitywines/) that might be more competitive with philly…

1 Like