SF Bay Area miscellaneous reports

Warm sandwiches at Molinari’s? That would be a change.

I got delivery from Chai Thai Noodles in Berkeley. The stir-fried noodles #58 chan pad poo (spicy crab, $18) and #59 Chai Thai ($15) were huge portions and hit the spot. #57 gai koor wide noodles was okay and not as big. Fresh rolls were really good. I’d have ordered the curry roti but that didn’t seem like it would hold up so well for delivery, I’ll try it there sometime.

It was not warm. I had no idea. Palm City looks pretty good!

Golden Gate Bakery is open but only for moon cakes lol

1 Like

hours?!

I just saw it on a ig page

No idea what hours. At this point I am glad to have eaten GGB egg tarts but have little hope they will truly come back. I am sure they have their reasons.

I hear Mr Bread in the Sunset is pretty good. I also like Yummy Bakery on Jackson.

1 Like

End of summer tomatoes at The Village Pub (Woodside)

Dim sum at Tai Pan (Palo Alto). Great go-to for dinner. Dim sum is not quite as good imo, but still one of the better options for the area.

Is Village Pub worth the money - it is on our list and we don’t live that far away but I am never sure about them when I look on their menu and have heard quite mixed feedback

Worth it is kind of subjective. I return with friends and family most times I’m in the Bay Area - it checks a lot of boxes for us. I think it fits the bill when you’re with a party and want something nice but with a broad enough menu for everyone. Good service and some good picks on the wine list. The added truffle pasta or risotto has been very fairly priced at about $16 per person for our party of 4 (split two $32 orders as an additional course for 4 people). They also have a Friday lunch and weekend brunch if you want to give it a try during the day. It’s not a standout restaurant with anything groundbreaking, but a lot of times we just want something very solid, consistent, and comfortable all things considered.

Have you been to Spruce in SF? Village Pub is their sister restaurant with a warmer and more quaint interior. But the food is at a similar level.

1 Like

have you been to the meyhouse location in PA yet? it’s great! the ‘tasting menu’ for the amount of food was very generous. probably my go to place in PA now. ethel’s fancy and birddog are just both hit or miss.

It’s on our list - did you also visit their Sunnyvale location ? And if yes, which one did you prefer ?

I haven’t but my coworkers have. They like the Sunnyvale location better for the food but the PA one had better vibes.

here’s some of the pics of a “seafood” tasting at the PA location

1 Like

That looks really good - where this all dishes of the seafood tasting menu ?

yeah, we said we wanted to do the “tasting menu” and the server said we could do “meat” or “seafood” - and it was the chef/kitchen’s choice. It was a bunch of small plates, then two medium plates (the octopus and the anchovies), then a giant plate (whole bronzino and pink grouper kebabs)

1 Like
1 Like

The best I ever had

I wish I lived in the city

1.5hr wait today…

finally got to try Golden Gate Bakery egg custard tarts - can see immense nostalgia factor for GGB, but objectively the egg tarts at Year Of The Snake are significantly better…

1 Like

How’s the wait at YOTS?

0-5 minute wait at YOTS on average - max i’ve ever seen was maybe 10 minutes, and she hasn’t run out of egg tarts in recent times

but GGB wait today was 10 minutes (compared to a peak of 3hrs on sunday)

as a general point, reheating egg tarts improves quality significantly if they’re not still warm (250F for ~10 minutes from room temp, or from refrigerator: microwave a bit first and then 250F for 5-10min)

Any recommendations for egg custard tarts on the peninsula? (Not expecting same level of quality but something above average)