Shibumi's David Schlosser: threat or menace?

:laughing: I thought izakaya too. With nicer antiques.
And for what it’s worth, the house made dorayaki I had in the before times probably had the best anko in town. I wouldn’t be surprised if their sakura mochi is equally delicious.

2 Likes

at first they claimed to be kappo

sakura mochi was delicious

1 Like

guy’s a moron

4 Likes

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/So-you-re-white-and-own-an-Asian-restaurant-16244853.php

https://www.la.us.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/2021_GASchlosser.html

https://medium.com/@trent_86143/notes-from-dave-changs-episode-w-david-schlosser-f2893905c1f5

1 Like

Jesus. Will this never die? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I personally think he should be ridiculed for quite some time.

For me it goes something like this, he appropriates a culture albeit respectfully. Becomes famous and probably wealthyish as the gaijin doing Japanese food. Then turns around and ridicules hard working LA Japanese restaurant owners for not doing his narrow interpretation of what is “respectful” to the culture that he appropriated. While also simultaneously misinterpreting/not understanding the cultural nuances of the practice he is criticizing. Further, when given the chance to apologize he doesn’t. When given the opportunity he gladly showed his whole ass.

That to me is one tone deaf idiot at best or an egocentric intolerant asshole at worst. So yeah I think he should be ridiculed and I’m not gonna go to his restaurants.

9 Likes

I hope it never dies. The absurdity of his IG post amuses me. Putting aside the idea of a white guy criticizing Japanese people for not appreciating Japanese food, his post was simply untrue. Fugestu-Do sells sakura mochi. I wonder where it is that he was expecting to get sakura mochi but didn’t find it?

1 Like

So…you aren’t boycotting him, then?

are you asking me? i didn’t say i was boycotting.

No. You didn’t. But there are a number of people on the board who feel like the proper response to Schlosser’s cultural tone-deafness or outright assholishness is to boycott the restaurant. And the fact that you posted the latest menu while simultaneously poking at this issue the way you did makes me wonder if you were one of them. You know, putting money where your mouth is.

1 Like

Anyone who boycotts Shibumi because of one clueless remark the chef quickly apologized for is giving themselves the punishment they deserve.

In an attempt to defend culinary tradition in Japan my intense feelings overtook my words.
For the past 20 years I’ve dedicated my life to Japan and Japanese culture but have a lot of listening and learning to do in AAPI awareness in America. I’m so grateful to the community for letting me share my passion and knowledge in Japanese cuisine. I hope to educate in a positive and inspiring way moving forward. I truly apologize for my presumptuous remarks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNx803JB5yj/?hl=en

Copyright violation and we don’t need to rewind and restart the whole thing from the beginning.

Copyright infringement :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lol I know that you don’t know the first thing about copyrights, but sure it’s your board feel free to post your thoughts and not allow others to do so. Seems that you and schlosser have a lot in common.

Note to mod please split thread to further obfuscate and create thread called “Copyright infringement”

1 Like

I actually know a lot about copyrights. Kind of essential in my line of work.

Ha that’s rich, if you did you would know that what was posted isn’t copyright infringement. But what do I know I’m just a lawyer that deals with copyright issues all the time…

You’re clearly just deleting posts and removing conversation points based on views that you don’t agree with, always wanting to get the last word in without room for dissent, and refusing to acknowledge anything that doesn’t fit into your view of a specific situation.

Claiming that you don’t want to rehash but then posting a quote to support your views and removing any rebuttal is just indicative of this behavior.

You’ve done it in the past so that’s not surprising. Dinner conversations with you must be super enjoyable!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyhow I’m done responding so feel free to delete or flag under some other frivolous flag!

1 Like

Goes beyond fair use by my estimate.

The content on the Services (the “Content”), including without limitation, video, text, photos, and graphics, is protected under United States and international copyright laws, is subject to other intellectual property and proprietary rights and laws, and is owned by us or our licensors. Other than with respect to your own User Submissions: (a) the Content may not be copied, modified, reproduced, republished, posted, transmitted, sold, offered for sale, or redistributed in any way without our prior written permission and that of our applicable licensors; and (b) you must abide by all copyright notices, information, or restrictions contained in or attached to any Content.

Do you think fair use is based on how many characters or words that are transposed lol? If that’s the case, why wasn’t your copying of schlosser’s quote copyright infringement? Did you happen to not exceed some magical number of words… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Also, you’re talking about fair use but posting Vox’s terms of use and specifically citing their reservation of rights?

You clearly do not understand how a fair use defense would work. Fair use is a defense against infringement, it doesn’t matter what someone’s restriction of rights or license terms state. Fair use promotes freedom of expression by permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected material.

If you were to actually advance a non-fair use argument you would be citing some sort of case law or maybe Section 107 of the copyright act which provides the framework for fair use. But you already knew all of that!

Let me explain to you how fair use is determined, fair use is determined through a balancing of numerous factors which include (1) Purpose and character of the use, including whether the use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purpose, (2) Nature of the copyrighted work, (3) Amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and (4) Effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. Different federal court circuits have interpreted this balancing differently but I doubt any would come to the conclusion that you did. However, since you play a judge all the time, you’re a mod/owner of a message board and a technical writer, you must be right!

But I assumed you knew all that because …

Please feel free to remove this post for infringement of your copyrighted quote! Judge robert finds no fair use!

3 Likes

Yeah, Campbell vs. Acuff-Rose. SCOTUS kind of punted, so your guess is as good as mine what counts as fair use.

But I’m the moderator so it’s my call on this site. Post short quotes and people can follow the link if they want more.

I don’t think there’s anything to add to the discussion two years ago, but go ahead and beat a dead horse if you want.

Fair use has always been and likely will always be a fact specific determination taking those four factors into account, they’re not going to set down criteria because that would make the copyright law highly inflexible. But you already knew that…

Sure whatever you say, that’s what you should’ve said the first time instead of copping some shitty fair use argument.

That’s actually not true (one of us actually does this for a living) but again sure whatever you say!

6 Likes