Showcasing what's left of old school Cantonese in Hong Kong

I’ve got a sudden craving for some excellent dry fried beef hor fun with yellow chives and crisp fat bean sprouts accompanied by a side of chili oil. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a good plate of that greasy goodness.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s one of the trifecta for the perfect chili sauce game changing enhancement!
Or as they say, an excuse just to use chili sauce.

The other two for me are soy sauce supreme stir fried noodles, and my most favorite, pork strips/shiitake/yellow chives/bean sprouts pan fried noodles. Of course we can’t forget cheung fun, ho fun, pan fried daikon cake in dim sum, egg noodles of whatever sort, and other dishes where you need a bit of heat and acidity to cut.

1 Like

:drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face: Oh yeah that starch and soy sauce combo cooked over high heat with the very slight smoky charring is magical. And yes you’re spot on, the right acidity just takes it to the next level.

I really need regular access to some form of transportation besides walking. :confounded:

2 Likes

This thread makes me so, so hungry…

1 Like

Thanks for turning me onto this YouTube channel @beefnoguy. This video has no subs but talks about a family that makes fresh fish balls daily. They work at 130 am to make fresh fish balls to sell for that day. It’s crazy the amount of work and dedication that takes.

Fish ball makers

4 Likes

Here’s a very interesting series featuring big name chefs in Hong Kong. It’s a bit of a cross between Chef’s Table & The Mind of a Chef.

This is the restaurant line up featuring their ECs:
Ep 1: Celebrity Cuisine
Ep 2: Mott 32
Ep 3: Tim Ho Wan
Ep 4: Lung King Heen
Ep 5: VEA

6 Likes

Chan Yan-tak is a legend. Lung King Heen is still the best dim sum I’ve ever had.

2 Likes

Loved their dim sum, but he’s not involved in any dim sum making. I wonder who’s the Mak Kwai Pui of Lung King Heen right now though.

Very cool, thanks for sharing guys! Though I am shuddering a bit at the David Gelb influenced intro… but shedding a tear watching them around the 10:20 mark having sweet & sour pork during dim sum.

While I have not had the pleasure of doing any of these fine dining Cantonese Michelin, there is a true master of the arts to pay attention to that’s a touch obscure except with the hard core purists.

https://www.instagram.com/chefleungfaihung/

He’s the executive chef of Hoi King Heen, and I think they lost their star a number of years ago. Also Chef Leung doesn’t cook all the time himself as he is also up there in age, but if you know someone who is friends with him and get him to cook, the meal is indeed one of the absolute best in town.

Also look at the geotagged photos of Hoi King Heen for pictures. Been on my bucket list, but never had the opportunity (plus you need a crew and someone who can get Sergio to cook which may be a challenge).

3 Likes

More of the gang having a late night Chefs’ dinner in Mongkok after knocking off…

4 Likes

Tsang Kok Sang is a legendary figure for me. If you don’t follow the local scene he’s super obscure otherwise for those from overseas. His former restaurant Tak Lung, used to be in Sun Po Kong with proximity to former Kai Tak airport and Tsang was responsible for re-introducing old recipes that almost faded out of existence, and the restaurant’s roasties department is notably strong.

Some of their great banquet dishes include baked fish intestines with orange peel, tea smoked chicken (superb), sweet and sour pork using pork belly and hawthorn berrys, flakes, and sticks, gold coin chicken which is chicken liver with pork fat marinated in sugar for a week served with char siu, and crab over glutinous rice in a steamer to make a few… and that baked sago pudding banquet size was amazing too. The restaurant has shuttered, but so glad I got to go once yeara ago and organize a group dinner there (all done by email, Mr Tsang was super kind , thoughtful, and helpful too).

Good to see Chef Leung Fai Hung in this video who I mentioned earlier in this thread!

3 Likes

Finally caught up with the recent videos

2021 Superbowl Ultimate baller food: BIRD’S NEST STUFFED CHIKIN WINGS! chased with Glenfarclas shots

Does anyone know the english name for that fish? Is that a juvenile yellow croaker?

US seafood supply chain is dismal :sleepy:

Era of cheap/affordable roasties is sun setting as the old guard retires. Amazing how little they charge for something that requires so much effort.

@Hungrydrunk do let us know how the pit barrel cooker roast pork worked out. Trying to rack my brain on how to do this on a smaller scale. Maybe dig a hole in my backyard or build some ghetto above-ground oven.

I need to visit HK again :sob: :sob:. Chinese food has go to be the world’s most underappreciated cuisine as far as the global foodie circles go.

4 Likes

spinyhead croaker (Collichthys lucidus)

2 Likes

Thanks! got 50% of it :laughing:. Shinko equivalent of croaker family…

Btw wasn’t aware wild yellow croakers are a baller fish in China… can anyone confirm this?

1 Like

AFAIK, yellow croakers are were the Rolls Royce of fish in the repertoire. Their scales’ resemblance to gold, and their gentle taste, with flaky flesh made them extremely popular. That is, until they became endangered.

3 Likes

There are quite a lot of amazing yet unfortunately endangered (re: super tasty yet over fished and now ridiculously rare and expensive) species out over there. Also some old timers will tell you the quality of seafood in general has declined over the years due to pollution, climate change, particularly the varietals native to Hong Kong waters, and thus command a premium if you can find them (and are able to identify the OG legit versions and not the knock offs being passed off as the real thing).

The Cantonese saying “fish has fish flavor” sounds trite, but once you’ve had the real deal over there that’s wild, you’ll know what that really means…and then one laments the available sea life lurking in the murky waters of the 99 Ranch tanks for the farmed black bass, tilapia etc.

2 Likes

Yeah… sad state of affairs.

YouTube has been spying on my posting on this FTC thread and recommended me another video to share with y’all

No subtitles unfortunately, but here is a feature where they discuss deep fried Fun Gwor (not Chiu Chow style, it’s actually from Shunde, Southern China), and two kinds of deep fried wontons…the second one is Kam Lo Won Ton which originated as a high end banquet dish…the soul is the sweet and sour sauce that has shrimp, squid, char siu, bell peppers, onions, and a sauce containing quite a few different things. The idea is that the sauce and deep fried wontons encapsulates the five flavor profiles (sweet, sour, savory/salty, bitter, and spicy). Very old school and very non McChelin.

1 Like

Oh, if you’re more into printed media, I recall picking up these two books (one in Vancouver though uh… guess that’s not possible either with good ol’ Corona):

I thought they were fairly interesting and there’s English to boot (though there’s a few glaring typos go figure).

Anywho, random thought, but with the current passage of uh… security bill and anti-sedition law causing turmoil in HK, do you think finance industry will still be around in HK or everyone will start packing up and moving to Singapore with less and less trust in HK’s basic law?

I fear the high end places might pack up without the high rollers or business expensed meals to go away. Then the lower end to mid tier ones will just be gobbled up by large chains.

Well… guess its the same fear I have for SF where the high end restaurants might be gone and Chipotle might roll over the rest of the fast casual places…

3 Likes

That’s the trillion $ question! I think as long as Bejing allows HK to have autonomy in their finance sector, companies aren’t gonna bolt.