Snacks on a Plane

Such a sweet post!

1 Like

Sugarfish makes these swell to go boxes…

2 Likes

sandwiches from SACK are tiny and travel well…

4 Likes

My mother used to make me onigiri for school lunch and trips. A trick to keep nori dry is to use a plastic wrap. Cut a plastic wrap at least double the size of nori. Place nori on the wrap and hold in half. Now you have a nori enclosed plastic wrap to wrap your onigiri. You can put whatever you like inside of onigiri. Since it is such a small quantity, tuna inside of onigiri will not bother other passengers. My favorite is grilled salmon. Hope this helps.

6 Likes

From the mind of M. Night Shyamalan: “I smell airplane food.”

1 Like

I’m very low-class. Even when flying Business or First, I take either a homemade ham & cheese, or peanut butter and jelly. I am amused at all the suggestions for airplane food.

I am amazed at the number of people hell-bent on bringing fish onto a crowded, often hot, usually packed airplane because “it doesn’t smell.” Yeesh. It starts smelling on the jetbridge.

5 Likes

If you’re a high end motherfucker go to Le French Butcher and get some pate, some terrine, some cheese and a baguette… If you’re not, then i’d just fuck with a big ass filling burrito

2 Likes

Some follow-up thoughts and replies:

First, count me among the people who’s sensitive about smelly food on the airplane. As @boogiebaby pointed out, everything smells more intense in the enclosed space of a plane cabin. Imo, cold cuts like salami are right on the edge of what’s acceptable. Fish of any kind, even tuna fish, is over the line. Again, just imo.

Regarding @Bookwich’s suggestion of ramen: Hot liquid on a plane is a recipe for disaster, especially if we’re talking instant noodles. There are many, many people who go to emergency rooms every year with serious burns from noodle cups. And they weren’t riding in a metal tube hurtling at hundreds of miles per hour through turbulent skies.

A few people mentioned Howlin’ Ray’s. This might work if you get the Country style. Unfortunately, the spice coating on the hot chicken takes on an unpleasantly pasty quality when eaten at room temperature.

As for @Nemroz’s suggestion of burritos, I’ve done this a few times. It sounds great in theory, but there’s something unsatisfying about a cold burrito. (This is partly why Chipotle always disappoints imo.) If you do go this route, be sure to take your burrito out of the foil before going through TSA.

1 Like

Ok, you’re eating airplane food then.

yes i always microwave chipoodles

There was a recent incident involving a mainland Chinese woman insisting on hot water for her cup of noodles. The attendant initially refused because the plane was still boarding, but finally acquiesced just to shut her up. The pax ended throwing the hot water on the attendant, to show her displeasure about the poor service.

That said, I’ve been served cup of noodles on most transpacs (with hot water). United even has their logo on theirs.

1 Like

[quote=“Nemroz, post:50, topic:5764, full:true”]
Ok, you’re eating airplane food then. [/quote]
Nah, I can’t remember the last time I ate airplane food. I think you had the right idea with some terrine, cheese, and a baguette. Picnic food.

They’re asking for trouble. It’s not just the hot water. The noodles apparently stick to the skin, resulting in much more severe burns than liquid alone.

It was a joke, silly. Personally, I think people needing to eat on airplanes is odd. Unless it’s a 6 hour + flight, or for medical reasons, or you’re a child. Hang in there, you’re not going to die flying LAX to MSP without food.

1 Like

Simple test: Place a sample of whatever food you are considering taking on an airplane on the front seat of your car. Park in a sunny spot. Come back in two hours and see if you can smell anything.

6 Likes

Oops, gotcha. I just wanted to spread the word about the insidious peril that is instant noodles. :wink:

Nothing odd about wanting to eat lunch at lunchtime! Besides, flying is already unpleasant enough without adding hanger to the mix.

1 Like

Bon appetit.

4 Likes

Yep, not much better than a public toilet seat. That’s why you build a little nest of napkins!

1 Like

Yes it always puzzles me when people make judgments like that. First off, my standard eating habits involve lots of small meals, so I rarely go more than four hours without eating except when I’m asleep. Second, a 2-3 hour flight can easily mean 6 or more hours where one is not in a position to sit down for a proper meal, between driving to the airport, getting through check-in and security lines, collecting luggage on arrival, driving to one’s final destination … Having said that, flying is one time when I go into eat to live (and not annoy anyone else) mode, so my packed at home plane food tends to be very basic items like mild cheese on sturdy bread, baby carrots, non-messy fruit, nuts, protein bars.

2 Likes

Toe juice with tuna salad? GAG!

you snowflakes are outta control.
call me crazy, call me irresponsible, but those
look perfectly delicious to me.