South Bay Staples

Made a little run to Pedro. Over all wasn’t thoroughly impressed by the offerings at colossus. All the items tasted on the doughier side. The best of the bunch however was the rhubarb and rose danish, light and the tartness of the rhubarb was great with the almond paste.

Chori man was ok. The flavor of the chorizo is great but because they don’t crisp their potatoes or the tortilla it tasted almost like eating a stew or chili since everything is so soft. Would rather have it as chilaquiles or something else

5 Likes

Butter&salt should always be hot… it pales when it’s cooled down unlike their other flavors which are still good- cake, that is. When hot the b&s triumphs even the insanely good huckleberry. Their forte has always been cake; their raised base isn’t as good (yes, passion fruit pavlova included).

2 Likes

Wow, you really are a monster. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Is this a good South Bay staple?

1 Like

The micheladas are awesome! Food is not bad but not like Holbox level.

2 Likes

I see, thanks! it was quite a popular destination during lunch today. Will note for next time.

1 Like

Hard to find a good michelada at lunchtime

A little lunch at da maat great homey dishes made by ajummas. Our favorite Korean place in South Bay.

Anyone have any other good Korean recs?

7 Likes

Big fans. And always with a post meal stop at Okrumong.

1 Like

Gaya
Lee’s Tofu
Wooga Sullungtang
Jin Jja Roo
Honey Dress for KFC

2 Likes

Also add there is a Kim Bap Paradise in Torrance that I just love!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kimbap-paradise-torrance

4 Likes

Sorry, this is very long.

Jiayuan Dumpling House in Redondo Beach

Pork and napa cabbage dumplings & shrimp, chicken, and carrot dumplings:

Shrimp wonton soup:

Poached beef in hot chili oil:

El Amigo in Lawndale

Carne asada nachos:

Jidaiya Ramen in Gardena

Tonkotsu:

Shoyu:

Karaage:

Proudly Serving in Redondo Beach

PS Burger (griddled onions, secret sauce):

The Founder (diced white onions, ketchup, mustard):

Duck fat fries:

Duck fat tots:

Komatsu in Torrance

Potato salad:

Kurobuta katsudon:

El Borrego in Lawndale

Barbacoa de borrego:

Birria de res:

Southern Spice in Lawndale

Chicken 65:

Mutton sukka:

Vijayawada chicken biriyani:

Garlic naan:

Zacatecas Restaurant in Hawthorne

Steak ranchero:

Carne asada:

Wadatsumi in Torrance

Tamagoyaki:

Bara chirashi bowl:

Premium beef curry with hamburg:

Panelas Brazil Cuisine in Redondo Beach

BBQ Plate (picanha, chicken, sausage, rice, farofa, potato salad):

Churrasquinho Plate (picanha skewer, rice, farofa, grilled veggies):

26 Likes

I can’t help it. I love Kansha. Today’s special flavors were maple syrup ice cream with peanut butter swirl or Earl Gray Tea ice cream with chocolate cake. I opted for the latter and WOW!

The ice cream looks too white to have captured the tea flavor but it does. The Earl Gray hits slowly at first and builds with every bite. The chocolate cake mixed in is gluten free (almond flour) and has a texture more akin to a brownie. Dark chocolatey dense goodness while the nuttiness of the almond flour pairs wonderfully with the ice cream base. And every bite is different. Sometimes it’s just the Earl Gray, others it’s a mix and then every once in awhile, you get a chunk of cake to chew on.

If I seem like a fanboy, it’s because I am! This is probably my favorite thing I’ve eaten since moving here last August.

6 Likes

Made a return trip to Full House +. Have become a real fan of the owner, who is a young Korean guy. Had originally wanted to open a fried chicken concept but (thankfully) decided to expand the concept. I was raving about how all his fried items come out light with minimal grease without sacrificing crunch and he was so proud of how often he changes the oil to keep it that way. Across the board, you quickly see how much pride he has in offering high quality product to his customers!

Today, I tried the spicy oyster soup noodle. Was 100% expecting the spicy seafood noodle soup with the red broth and simply oysters rather than assorted seafood. Except the bowl came with a very light, somewhat cloudy broth. Thought they’d messed up and was about to send it back, but then noticed the sliced jalapenos and dried chilies. Took one sip and was hooked. As a kid, my family would buy fresh oysters and simply boil water, add oysters, the oyster liquour and ginger and create this incredible, salty, oceanic broth that was super light and full of oyster flavor. This soup brought me back :slight_smile: Except it was spicy. The bowl came with 8 plump, thumb-sized oysters and of course their delightfully Q noodles.

I’ll be back.

4 Likes

Riera’s. My family and I are always on the hunt for a solid breakfast burrito. With two teens in competitive soccer and golf, we’re always on the run, so for weekday dinner, we often subsist on Kimbap Paradise, rolls from Nijiya, cheesesteaks & hoagies from Philly’s Best and breakfast burritos. We’ve done Hanky’s, Caps & Corks, Phanny’s and they’re all ok - super flavorful but I hate how all the ingredients are jumbled together into this tasty but texture-less mass.

Finally got around to trying Riera’s and this is what we’ve been looking for. Textural delight with layers of egg, bacon or ham, cheese and crispy hashbrowns. And the chile de arbol on the side is surprisingly good. I do wish they’d grill the burrito, but I’ll take this one over anything I’ve tried thus far!

6 Likes

Have you had Hawaiian yet in the South Bay?

Outside of Hawaii the South Bay in LA probably has the best Hawaiian food scene on the mainland.

2 Likes

Yeah, although my wife is not a fan generally of Hawaiian, so don’t get it as much as I would like…

As someone who is obsessed with merguez, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Eclair & Cafe in Torrance has a pretty good merguez sandwich. I wish the baguette was a little better and didn’t scratch up the roof of my mouth, but I still really liked the sandwich.

No photo, but their chicken salad sandwich is also good. I think I detected harissa in it but it’s not listed on the menu so I’m not 100% sure.

15 Likes

Caps and corks makes college style hoagies. Grilled sandwiches with copious deli meats, mustard, Mayo, and melted cheese.

Pretty damn good if you’re in that type of mood. Haven’t tried their breakfast burritos but they look good.

7 Likes

Sugarfish again. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Wadatsumi, Tempura Carlos, Spoon House, Otafuku, Curryfornia, and so much more, were right there!

11 Likes