Summer / Fall / Winter / Spring fruit

Do you have favorites at the two places? I always get stuff from both.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the FM strawberries? I see so many of them at the Brentwood FM, and I donā€™t ā€œget itā€ in the sense that I canā€™t imagine theyā€™re any good.

Weā€™ve been getting mandarins in our CSA box. This week we got the first navel oranges of the season.

I buy from both as well, if iā€™m getting tangerines iā€™ll get from Mud Creek often, specialty citrus as well itā€™s fun to see what they have iā€™ve seen kalamansi, moroccan lemons, sudachi, yuzu ect. The Avocadoā€™s they have usually in spring are very good as well.

Garcia I bought kumquats last Wednesday and I really think they bring consistently excellent citrus to the market -never worried about the flavor when I buy there. They tend to have less of the exotic stuff which is fine there is plenty of market for both IMO

1 Like

Seen at West Covina Tokyo Central

5 Likes

Only Elon Musk can afford these. #DontFlagMeForTalkinPrices

5 Likes

theyā€™re also at the marukai in sawtelle and little tokyo

1 Like

Does anyone have extensive experience with these expensive japanese boxed fruit? I only had a melon once at a family friends house and I donā€™t recall it being ultra spectacular.

Are there brands or types of fruit that are better than others? If the boxed fruit tasted like harryā€™s berries I would definitely be willing to purchase one.

1 Like

The boxed fruit for gifting in Japan are usually quite a step up in quality and provenance. Iā€™ve never regretted plunking down good money for Japanese fruit.

1 Like

FYI I think they also had the strawberries discussed in this old thread for about $30something currently

Expensive Japanese Strawberries - Tokyo Central

1 Like

Maybe if I can find a relatively reasonable priced one Iā€™ll buy it. Donā€™t want to pay 100 bucks for something that I might be able to get at our local FM.

Thereā€™s no local source for Crown melons. Theyā€™re sort of the wagyu of fruit.

I strongly doubt that any imported strawberries would be better than local Mara de Bois, especially the ones from Chino Farm.

The expensive berries at Tokyo Central were not worth the price. No where in the same class as Harryā€™s or the strawberries we get at Las Posas in Camarillo. It was fun to try.

Somebody buy the $120 melon and report back.

2 Likes

Iā€™d rather put the $120 toward a trip to Rome when cantaloupes are in season.

1 Like

Anyone ever try these pink strawberries? Seen at Gelsons for a low low price of only $53

3 Likes

Last week, Kogane posted a photo on Instagram of the ā€œPearl Whiteā€ strawberries they got (from Japan, according to what I found online). Pure white with red seeds, really stunning. A similar variety apparently fetches ~$10/berry. Theyā€™re reportedly very delicious; has anyone tried them?

1 Like

Our cousin received some white strawberries from their Girl and Dig box last week. She said they were great but we did not get any in our box last month.

Gelsons also had the white strawberries. Same price as the pink ones I believe. Theyā€™re both from Japan. Really curious how they taste.

I got the sense from my reading that the Japanese white strawberries and our domestic ones are different from each other, but Iā€™m not sure. The Japanese ones are the product of careful breeding and growing conditions, like blanchingā€“the same level of care given to those melons, Iā€™d say. A comparison would be interesting.

FTC meet up at the parking lot. Split the box with 10 people. $6 per strawberry after tax. Iā€™m too far away otherwise Iā€™d be down.

6 Likes