Summer / Fall / Winter / Spring fruit

Massive guinea pig-sized keitt mangos on sale at wf. Takes about a week to ripen but they’re sweet and delicious. @TheCookie

uni for scale

7 Likes

Anybody ever have these?

2 Likes

Darn, I was just there. I have mucho fruit and didn’t go thru that dept, but would’ve if I’d seen this post. Looks lovely.

If anyone sees Damson or Italian prune plums, let me know, please. (Westside.)

We were finally able to try the much touted Cosmic Crisp.

It was so very sweet. I cut up one apple for three of us to try. The three of us did not finish the one apple. Too sweet.

3 Likes

Where does one get their hands on a WA 38 (Cosmic Crisp) in L.A.?

Whole Foods, but I think Ralph’s has them too.

1 Like

Trader Joes should have them on Friday or Saturday depending on the store

2 Likes

Runs to get this apple.

3 Likes

Picked up a few Cosmic Crisps at the Santa Monica Whole Foods and they are enormous. I didn’t find them over-the-top sweet.

1 Like

Yes, they’re huge, and have a slightly tough skin. Super crisp flesh though, with a good acid/sweet balance. Not as much apple flavor as a good Opal, IMO.

1 Like

Same experience here. Just tried them the first time this AM. I cut up 5 different Cosmic Crisps to get a large sample size.

My tasting notes: Not too sweet (amazingly tart, actually, for its bold claims).

I’m leaving an apple at room temp in my fruit basket to see how (or if) it decomposes / ages over time.

2 Likes

Cosmic Crisps, $3.99 a pound at Whole Foods, $1.69 per apple at Trader Joe’s.

Cosmic Crisp at Gelsons we’re $4.99/lb.

Now today at Ralphs:

My favorite is Jazz followed by Pacific Rose, then Pink Lady. Even though I bought some of the Cosmic Crisps, I haven’t tried them yet.

3 Likes

Cosmic Crisps are $4.99 per lb at Bristol Farms. Bought one to try. $2.40 for 1 apple. It was absolutely delicious. I’m not sure I’d buy then again. For less than half the price you can buy Fuji, Opal, Granny Smith and other varieties on weekly sale prices at Whole Foods.

1 Like

They’re interesting - the way the sweetness travels is definitely not apple-like. I like them a lot!

2 Likes

Agreed. My first bite I said “wow tastes like a Jazz”

Juicy, sweet, and nice tartness.

1 Like

Recently have seen them for $3.99/lb at Whole Foods and $2.99/lb at Trader Joe’s, with the TJs ones looking smaller. Organic Pink Ladies were on sale at WF for $1.79, so I went with those.

2 Likes

Cosmic Crisps are available at Costco for $12.99 for a dozen.

2 Likes

Cara Cara oranges at the Cal Poly Pomona farmstore are gorgeous pink, super sweet, and $1.29/lb right now. Worth a stop if you’re doing a visit to the ESGV/West IE

4 Likes