Sushi Kaneyoshi - Little Tokyo

Thanks for the tip! I’m gonna order it this weekend, that chirashi looks insane and the prep on the saba looks so perfect.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Am I missing something? Gizzard shad (kohada) is mackerel? I thought they were closer to sardine.

Garrett is being silly.

1 Like

I was the last order to pick up at Sushi Kaneyoshi the other night and was treated to watching the finishing touches put on my order. The space is beautiful–absolutely a place I’m looking forward to spending some more time in when dine-in reopens.

Nama Chirashi

This was only my second time having the Nama Chirashi and it was every bit as good as the first. My favorites though were the anago, aji, and toro. Eating this was a reminder of how dangerous being walking distance is from Sushi Kaneyoshi.

Saba Bo-zushi

I have a give a special shout out to @PorkyBelly not only for the find, but being able to polish this off with the Premium Nama Chirashi because it’s a lot of food :sweat_smile: The pieces are lookers, and were equally thicc, delicious, and something I’m eager to get again.

16 Likes

nice knife work on that ika

1 Like

I grabbed a premium nama chirashi and a saba bozushi.

The premium nama chirashi was fantastic, not a single miss and many standouts. The crab brains and crab were super flavorful. Other notables off the top of my head were the nodoguro, anago and kimedai. No kohada sightings. The rice was perfection. And the presentation was pristine. Definitely one of the top takeout options I have had since March!

Yoshi with the finesse, flicking the accompanying gold leaf!

It appears my saba bozushi slightly differs from others or maybe I’m just exhausted, but mine came with sushimeshi that included toasted sesame and kanpyo and in between the saba and sushimeshi, a layer of oba leaf. This was amazing! And the prep on the saba was damn near perfection in terms of flavor and texture.

Thank you Yoshi-san and Anthony-san!

14 Likes

My pursuit of bozushi continues…they were apologetic when they let me know that the product wouldn’t be ideal for service Sunday. I picked up futomaki and honmaguromaki (akami, chutoro, otoro) today instead. It was spectacular.

The counter and restaurant is beautiful. I cannot wait to come back and dine in when we ever get back to normal times. Anthony-San and Yoshi-san were so gracious. We arrived as they were finishing up our order…we got to watch Yoshi-san rolling and slicing. It was a moment so simple, but foreign because it’s been quite some time since we’ve been able to watch any master put together a meal. Yoshi-san was happy to present both boxes to my friend when he heard it was her birthday. They chatted a bit in Japanese, then Anthony-san carefully wrapped it up…and we were on our way.
And they also mentioned that there have been a very high volume of bozushi requests…I wonder why.

15 Likes

Looks great. My birthday is in March. Hahaha.

3 Likes

I’ve been told half-birthdays could be a thing. March is a bit away.

5 Likes

I love everyone getting aboard the saba bozushi express! But yes, mine was just saba and plain sushimeshi–no oba leaf, toasted sesame, or kanpyo.

2 Likes

looks like the ftc bang migrated to kaneyoshi this weekend, @J_L, @rlw, @A5KOBE, @attran99, anybody else?
@attran99 so glad you and your friend got to try the futomaki, I’m going to have to try that honmaguromaki. bummer they ran out of saba, I hope I didn’t get the last one :grimacing:

aburi nama chirashi
loved every piece in this box, but I think I prefer the other chirashi boxes, only because there’s more variety.

toro

kinmedai

tachiuo (beltfish)

kamasu (barracuda)

masu (ocean trout)

hokkaido scallop

4kolwa

saba bo-zushi
as @A5KOBE noticed, this was slightly different than last week. Yoshi-san marinated the saba a bit more and added seame seeds and shiitake mushrooms to the shari and shiso under the saba.

fin

17 Likes

haha, no idea.

2 Likes

Had an amazing in home dining experience with Yoshi-san and his assistant Anthony-san. We dined outdoors on my friends patio. I had never dined with Yoshi-san in the past but all of FTC’s heavy sushi hitters recommended him and all the glowing reviews of Yoshi-san’s pre-opening chirashi boxes and bozushi made this a no brainer. Shoutout to @PorkyBelly for the dining recommendation. And an extra extra special shout out to @beefnoguy. Beef took the time to explain what sake’s might pair well with the experience and without his guidance and also recommendations of purchasing locations I would have been totally lost as I am a sake newb and I would have been screwed because KL apparently does not do same day order fulfillment. Onto the food:

Neta

More neta; aside from ocean trout and the tuna I believe all items were sourced from japan.

Wild red snapper with shiso leave

Hokkaido uni in its own salt water brine

Akami and Chutoro

Bincho seared ocean trout (favorite!)

Shrimp and scallop tartar yoshi style

Sawara lightly seared (I believe this is some type of mackerel Yoshi-san did not know the english name)

Saba Bo zushi everyone’s favorite and very delicious

Baby barracuda soup with mushroom as a palate cleanser

Kegani aka hairy crab with tomalley in a seafood gelee tasted very oceanic with great clean crab flavor

Action Shot

Pickled baby ginger

Itayori

Shiro ebi (favorite)

Don’t have notes on this one, I think kanpachi?

Spear squid with more uni (favorite) so delicate and light but with just the right amount of chew

akami

Marinated toro so fatty and delicious like butter (favorite)

Kohada

Kinmedai

Nodoguro slightly seared and fatty he told us to break it up and eat it with the rice (favorite)

Kasudai

Yoshi-san’s “Hokkaido special” Kegani, Hokkaido uni, tomalley, ikura, and black caviar with gold leaf

Prepping the nigiri

Anango (favorite)

Yoshi-san’s kaisen don futomaki binoculars

futomaki sliced with more uni!

uni handroll

tamago

tamago

chutoro akami mix nigiri

buri

Chopped spanish mackerel hand roll

chopped akami handroll

I had quite a few portions of “OT” which left me very very full and I think both Yoshi-san and Anthony-san were both proud and also bewildered by how gluttonous I was. Truly an unforgettable meal. This meal was so wonderful and it was amplified by the fact that Yoshi-san and Anthony-san were so fun, interactive, and knowledgeable it made for a great atmosphere we shared quite a few sake pours together. I’m afraid that it has ruined all future sushi dinners for me in LA.

Yoshi-san uses 60% red vinegar and 40% white vinegar but he is trying to buy an even better vinegar for his restaurant but apparently sourcing is difficult at this time. They are also currently experimenting with the different types of nori that they use. He purchases rice from one of his friends in japan who mixes it to a specific specification.

I would say that if you the opportunity to dine privately or otherwise visit Kaneyoshi please do so before the hypebeasts, you’ll definitely have a great time and I am looking forward to Yoshi-san opening his brick and mortar.

With the sushi meal I paired 3 bottles of sake from @beefnoguy’s recommendations (all available at Ototo):

1. Kaze no Mori alpha 3 - light unfiltered and slightly bubbly a great natural refreshing. Loved this sake

2.Taka “Noble Arrow” Tokubetsu Junmai Sake - more forward tasting and stronger very interesting profile flavor

1. Noguchi Naohiko Honjozo Muroka Nama Genshu - Noguchi is apparently a legendary 90 year old brewer that makes very strong and interesting flavors. I’ve never tasted a sake like this and apparently Honjozo is a sake with “added alcohol” definitely much for spirit forward and paired well with stronger/fattier fishes. The taste changed with the temperature I loved this one as it was not the same as other sake’s I’ve had in the past.

Again huge public shoutout to @beefnoguy it definitely took the meal over the top!!!

27 Likes

Spanish mackerel

Is that matsutake? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

wow that looks fantastic, thanks for the report. can’t wait to try his omakase. @NYCtoLA.

looks like shima-aji

how many people did he feed?

5 Likes

Baller time. Nice.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting back @hungryhungryhippos! Very glad to hear you enjoyed the sake recommendations.

Did you have any favorite sushi or appetizer pairings for each sake and can you share what they were? Was there a sweet spot for each sake (approximately what temperature did you think was the most enjoyable)?

The triple layering of the aged buri looks great!

Did Yoshi-san and Anthony have any comments on any of the sake you poured for them or if they had a favorite?

4 Likes

Flees to Hawaii for Covid shelter-in-place, private in-home-omakase.

9 Likes

Yes matsutske soup was so delicious so light but also flavorful.

1 Like