Sushi Kaneyoshi - Little Tokyo

It was four of us! Yes I believe you are correct on shima aji call.

@Sgee Well I’m just along for the ride, it wasn’t my house and my friend owed me for dinner! So I got lucky!

@J_L when I grow up I want to be you, you’ve had way more fine dining experiences than me!

3 Likes

I even brought a digital thermometer per your recommendation. All the bottles started around 41 degrees and warmed to the 50ish degree mark.

We really enjoyed the alpha 3 and the taka on the cold end. Alpha 3 was a favorite of everyone’s but I definitely think it was much better cold. In terms of pairing I think alpha 3 would go much better with lighter dishes and everyone enjoyed the uniqueness of the bubbles within the sake. We drank this bottle very quickly.

The taka paired really well with the nodoguro. I think there was more range as the taka got warmer.

The honjozo was much better when it got warmer. Really good with the heavier bites such as toro. Kind of like steak and whiskey. I think there was maybe too much raw alcohol flavor at colder temp and it needed to breathe or maybe that was me getting a little buzzed :shushing_face:

Yoshi san and Anthony San enjoyed all three bottles. Yoshi-San mentioned that I had good taste and I gave you all the credit as I have zero knowledge of sake. They seemed to enjoy the uniqueness of all 3 as they were all very different. He took pictures of each bottle and asked me where he could get them, so I assume he at least liked them a bit.

4 Likes

Mmmm Alpha 3 has been on my hit list for a bit and this is encouraging. I have the Noguchi in my fridge and your post makes me excited for it!

Speaking of excited… This makes me SO excited for when dine in reopens. I haven’t had a real counter experience omakase… maybe all year??? Whenever we reopen (fingers crossed for spring!?) I think Kaneyoshi will be top of my list regardless of where I’m at in life lol.

1 Like

I guess this thread is where the real ballers hang out.

6 Likes

I’m a huge newb when it comes to sake but the alpha 3 was a favorite for everyone in the groups including the itamaes. Available at Ototo.

The Noguchi was definitely more spirit-forward which made it very different for me, pretty much all sake I’ve had prior to this tasted like…sake but noguchi doesn’t, enjoy!

Let me know what you think when you try it.

2 Likes

Great!

Not too shabby then considering 1) I have never tasted the Alpha 3, but sensed its greatness and potential and 2) never ever had the food of Kaneyoshi, but I have some idea of his profile based on looking at pictures of what you all have posted so far, and from my own personal eating and drinking experiences of this style of sushi, so it’s a best instinct approach towards pairing, and the rest is up to you guys to decide whether you can appreciate and if it truly works. Very happy to hear you all did!

Are you also happy with the order/progression of when to try the sake per my recommendation and do you know why and how that makes sense? For a beginner drinking and for you to appreciate and get all of these sake in their own way, is a huge step forward already. Thanks for supporting and enjoying sake! :+1:

1 Like

dang that looked pretty amazing, would you be willing to share what it costs to hire him?

1 Like

Yeah very prescient on the Alpha 3. Yes the order and progression were fantastic as the sake definitely went from light to heavy. Which is generally how I progress on alcoholic beverages throughout a dinner. Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge!

Not sure of final tally as I was lucky enough not to pay for the meal, but minimum I believe is $1500 for a private event.

4 Likes

Daaaaamn! AND YOU GUYS DID 4 PEOPLE?
I’m leaving this room and never coming back, too baller for me. (j/k, i’ll stay just to look at the pictures)

6 Likes

Talk a friend into it who is willing to pay! jk but seriously that is the best option!

It’s like the old saying “The best boat is the one that your friend owns”!

5 Likes

is your friend looking for a friend? asking for a friend.

8 Likes

lemme ask, I’ll put in a good word for your friend!

3 Likes

How fabulous @hungryhungryhippos!!! :sake: :sushi: :two_hearts:

2 Likes

…and is born under the lucky friend star too! Fabulous!

2 Likes

…and is an excellent student too! Ok I’ll stop.

3 Likes

I’m so inspired by your sake experience! I may need to roll over to K&L for a trip myself.

3 Likes

Yeah try it out! I’ve never had a selected sake experience only what an itamae recommends. This was much more exploratory in nature as I got to pour the bottles for different portions of our meal and at different temperatures which definitely brought out new aspects of each sake. Then I got to immediately compare and contrast it with the other sakes. Whereas in a regular dining experience I always drank one sake through a progression of dishes and onto the next sake, being able to revisit is definitely a huge plus.

Just remember at K&L in Hollywood you have to order a couple of days in advance which is crazy. I want to support small businesses but it blows my mind that I can’t order and pick up same day.

@attran99 I’m not sure what will be on your menu, but @beefnoguy even helped me pick out some sakes at K&L, here was beef’s recommended list:

1. Taka “Noble Arrow” Tokubetsu Junmai Sake 720ml;
  2. Dewazakura Yukimanman “Snow Country” Daiginjo Sake 720ml;
  3. Premium Stella Junmai Daiginjo Muroka Genshu; or
  4. Born Muroka Nama Genshu Junmai Daiginjo
5 Likes

@hungryhungryhippos just the sake for me, thanks! I’ll make sure to call ahead and order for pick up. I’m not rollin’ in the dough baller-style like your friend.
Is your friend looking to adopt? I’d much rather be taken in.

3 Likes

Yah, I thought K&L would do curbside but not. I ordered their sake delivered once and it was relatively simple but not being able to get it same or next day is a deterrent - it’s more planning. I can’t remember the exact situation but I think they send all orders to a warehouse then a truck picks them up and delivers to customers or something like that.

1 Like