Sushi Kaneyoshi - Little Tokyo

The sakes that you had (KNM, Taka, Noguchi) were most definitely more advanced (and exciting!) sakes. These are the cool kid sakes. The makers are either of extreme pedigree (Noguchi) or extremely modern in their approach (KNM, Taka).

You put together three amazing sakes. I would almost encourage you to also have one centered, “normie” sake like Nanbu Bijin Tokubetsu Junmai or Koshi no Kanbai Sai so that you and your friends can fully embrace how wild and exciting the stars are.

Also, let me know if your friend needs a sake somm for any private dinners. Trying to save up for my Epicurus Gourmet trip!

5 Likes

i thought they do curbside

https://www.klwines.com/Shipping/InStorePickup

2 Likes

Okay, so I’m not cuckoo… I mean maybe I am but not about this. I remembered seeing that they do curbside, but when I called they only gave me the delivery option. It was earlier during the initial shelter-at-home order and that could be the reason. I’m going to get to the bottom this! TBC…

1 Like

I called. They need 1-day advanced notice.

3 Likes

Yes curbside but like 1-2 days advance. The guy over the phone last week said they were so busy you had to order 48 hrs before. Which translates into really slow ass curbside pickup.

@Starchtrade Thanks for the props all the credit goes to @beefnoguy.

We actually ended up with a Gangi Sekirei Junmai Daiginjo during our dinner too; however we thought it was very standard compared to the other 3.

3 Likes

8 Likes

it’s sanma season.

sanma bozushi
slightly sujime’d topped with kombu and torched topped with sudachi. there was also shiso underneath and the rice had bits of shittake. the sanma was clean and rich, loved both preps.

inari
salty and sweet.

anakyu
love yoshi-san’s anago

torotaku
sweet, fatty, and crunchy

negitoro
rich with a burst of freshness from the negi.

21 Likes

Damn dude.

So who’s going to offer up their house (outdoors) for min 10 person omakase?

8 Likes

You might as well build one of those old bank tubes and have it shuttle your kaneyoshi pickups back and forth.

5 Likes

those pics look familiar. ^_^. (it was my bday dinner). We had a great time - everyone enjoyed it and they did a bang up job. Highly recommend.

1 Like

how was the shari compared to your first time?

better but still pretty mild but it seemed to balance a bit better with the rest of the piece.

Thanks for this rec. Best meal since the lockdown started. Sushi and kaiseki are by far my favorite foods and I miss them.

holiday box

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIpCJV-hYiW/

13 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI-AHG0jUtM/

6 Likes

seiko gani chirashi
damn this was so good, perfectly cooked and seasoned rice sprinkled with shiitake and topped with female snow crab and its miso, uchiko (ovaries), and sotoko (eggs). all the different textures and flavors were delicious.

roe v me

me wins

futomaki - tamago, anago, toro, akami, masu, kyuri (cucumber), new caledonia blue shrimp, shima aji

inspired by @TheCookie I had to finish it off with Yoshi-san’s excellent futomaki.

fin

21 Likes

Ate the shell too :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Calcium supplement. #mottainai

1 Like

Sushi Kaneyoshi!

Anthony-san putting the final touches on our box while Yoshi-san prepares for the evening customers.

It was such a quick, easy ride there so we decided we could make it home without damage… and we were right.

Kaisen Futomaki & Nama Chirashi

Thanks @PorkyBelly! Your Futomaki was inspired by my Futomaki which was inspired by your Futomaki. Still with me? Good. Can I get a badge for most uses of the word Futomaki in one report?

Kaisen Futomaki - Tamago, Chutoro (med-fatty bluefin tuna), Caledonia Blue Crystal Shrimp, Anago (sea eel), Akamizuke (marinated bluefin tuna), Masu (ocean trout), Kinmedai (snapper), Cucumber

I haven’t had a lot of Futomaki, as cut rolls aren’t typically my go-to. But I’m still thinking about these! :drooling_face: They were certainly the best I’ve ever had. Each little piece is considerately chosen and prepared with different but complimentary textures and flavor profiles - firm, buttery, raw, cooked, savory, sweet, smokey and the nori travelled well and ate perfectly. :hearts: We wants more!

Nama Chirashi - Caledonia Blue Crystal Shrimp, Madai (sea bream), Chutoro, Sawara (king mackerel), Kamatoro (fatty collar bluefin), Santa Barbara Uni, Fuekidai (grouper), Kinmedai, Akamizuke, Hotate (scallop), Ikura, Kamasu (barracuda), Castella Tamago (egg cake), Masu, Saba (Japanese Mackerel), Anago

The neta changes day-by-day, as they are constantly aging, curing, and marinating seasonal ingredients. It’s hard to pick a favorite as it was all perfection, but if I’m forced to :wink:… I’d say the Uni, Masu, Chutoro, Kamatoro, Saba, Sawara, Anago & I’m probably forgetting something were the pieces that made us go ohhh! :hearts:

Of course the briny goodness of Ikura… But look at that Shari! Very vinegar forward, imo, but oh those glossy little pearls! and it had a sweet starchiness (in a good way) that I really enjoyed. :hearts:

Taiheizan “Great Peaceful Mountain” Kimoto Junmai

We decided to get the sake from DomaineLA on Melrose. They put focus on their sake stock in the last couple of years and we wanted to give them some action. The part I found out is not all the sake is on their website and it’s only curbside pickup right now, no browsing. I went with the clerks suggestion of this inexpensive kimoto junmai she’s been enjoying. I would agree with the tasting notes on the bottle, but due to the yeasty, slight acidity it might not be the best compliment to this meal, but it didn’t detract. We tried it with bulgogi, fermented & pickled stuff the next day and that was just not right. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Too much competing sharpness. The company (Kodama jozo) suggests oysters or even Chinese food - that sounds interesting. I’d also like to try it warm.

Antico Mango Ice Cream

The perfect dessert. More on that later…

In conclusion… We :hearts: Sushi Kaneyoshi!

15 Likes