Sushi Kaneyoshi - Little Tokyo

hi @TheCookie,

so good right!? that rice looks perfect and that kamatoro looks insane.

per league sources, yoshi-san is starting to include ankimo in the nama chirashi :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly! Right!? :blush:

Goodie! I’ve only had Ankimo few times! :hearts: me some liver.

2 Likes

sushi kaneyoshi just keeps on getting better and better. this holiday box was pretty close to flawless. i think the theme of this box was fatty and delicious, just look at the marbling on the saba, it’s the best i’ve had in a long time.

sake boiled awabi (abalone)
extremely tender with the flavor coming from its liver

seikogani (female snow crab)
combine this with a bowl of rice, soy sauce, wasabi and go to town.

smoked masu (ocean trout)
perfect amount of smokiness.

grilled mehikari (greeneye)
i’ve only had this as tempura, the flesh was sweet and fatty, with the head providing some bitterness.

hotate aburi (scallop) w/nori
sweet and meaty

kamasu (barracuda) bozushi

vinegar marinated saba
a5 marbling

sawara (king mackerel)

shirako

soy braised ankimo
up there with sgo’s ankimo

misozuke pacific oysters
creamy and briny

20 Likes

that scallop looks insane.

i want more

1 Like

Wow! It all looks so good.

Wasn’t Antico’s Mango Ice Cream great?! Thanks for reminding me I need to report. They did a whole other thing with this. :yum:

2 Likes

Whoa. Fat and aging usually don’t end well, which is why itamae usually won’t attempt it. Yoshi-san must have some serious full metal alchemy goin’ on! :smiley:

1 Like

not sure if it was aged but it was marinated in soy.

1 Like

as soon as I finished that delicious fatty saba from the holiday omakase box, I immediately ordered it again, but in bo-zushi form. and it was even better than the previous times I’ve had it. so fatty and buttery soft. yoshi-san’s nori is also a standout, it’s like biting into a thin lay’s potato chip, and goes great with the saba. @attran99, @Sgee, @NYCtoLA, @Bagel, @A5KOBE, @JeetKuneBao, @rlw

saba bo-zushi

hokkaido ankimo
had to get some ankimo too because it’s so damn delicious.

16 Likes

that’s a fine specimen indeed. nice individual unsquished grains

1 Like

komochi yari-ika (pregnant spear squid) chirashi
tender, sweet squid stuffed with its own creamy, gooey, eggs. kind of like the rolo candy of sushi.

I always wondered how they catch pregnant squid, do they look for the ones craving peanut butter and pickle sandwiches?

saba bo-zushi
still the cat’s pajamas

after-meal bang @ keika tanjiro

PXL_20210220_220605517._exported_stabilized_1613948278405

tender and juicy pieces of dark meat chicken served with yuzu kosho. added bonus, binchotan burps hours later. thanks for the intel @rlw.

14 Likes

Cast large net. Wait. Pull in net. Marvel at all the squids in net. SORT out the girl squids from the boy squids, and put them in separate fishmonger trays. You’re welcome.

2 Likes

You ate a pregnant squid. :expressionless:

1 Like

Wow. That squid looks interesting. Timely post–just yesterday we saw friends who are renting a place in Redondo Beach, and they described a stuffed squid they ate at the fish market on the pier. She said they seemed to be stuffed with their own eggs (a bit too out there for her); he disagreed, couldn’t see how that could be true. Well, I just gave her reason to feel vindicated!

3 Likes

hi @TheCookie,

too bad we’re not doing dish of the month anymore.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :joy:

I enjoyed it when I had it a couple weekends ago. It’s a novel flavor to my palete and not something I’d say is irresistible, but I was taken with how juicy it was.

I’m also someone that has always like a really heavy char on meat though–the kind that my mom would say would give me cancer–so maybe that’s why I found it so interesting.

3 Likes

Is it even bincho? I’ve never seen bincho create flames like that.

I think it’s the chicken fat or juices that causes the flames? Not sure tho

1 Like

i didn’t mind the smoky flavor and thought it was pretty juicy. the flavor wasn’t that much different from yakitori with shio imo.

it is binchotan, chef puts chicken fat between the grate and basket to create the flames.

3 Likes