Sushi Kaneyoshi - Little Tokyo

Must be a lot of fat coming out of those little nuggets. I think the oscillation/movement of the basket is probably contributing to it as well

1 Like

he rubs the fat against the grate using the bottom of the basket until the fat is all melted.

PXL_20210220_220238390._exported_stabilized_1614062000878

5 Likes

interesting, i would have just assumed those are flare ups that i try to avoid if i didn’t know better. it is true that fat drippings on charcoal does create that white smoke and create great flavor.

kani bara chirashi - king crab and hairy crab

15 Likes

holy saba batman, this was so good I wanted to slap myself.

the fattiest and oiliest saba I’ve had at kaneyoshi so far. the flavors were rich and clean without too much vinegar. texture was like eating a fatty buri taco. execution and formation was flawless. the soreness, sweetness, saltiness, and umami were all in perfect harmony, ate all of this unadulterated, no soy sauce needed.

@rlw, @js76wisco, @Sgee, @chrishei, @J_L, @attran99, @Bagel, @A5KOBE, @NYCtoLA, @foodshutterbug

22 Likes

:pleading_face: blessed by the saba gods

It seems like this season has been especially great. Did you text in this order? I remember seeing on IG that chef was stoked about one of the fish he got.

2 Likes

Dat saba marble score :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

yep text to order. when I was picking up last week Yoshi-san mentioned he got some really good saba, so I had to try it. I’m pretty sure that’s what he posted on IG too.

3 Likes

Message just popped up in my FB feed that in-person dining will commence on April 14th. Wed-Fri only, reservations required, no walk-ins… Omakase only. Tues/Sat take-out only. Thought maybe one or two of you would be interested…

6 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNVo8xqhy-x/

7 Likes

Beautiful space. Best looking in LA at the moment?

That is probably the nicest looking dining counter in post pandemic world

It’s gorgeous! I pick up from there and I longingly gaze at the empty counter.

1 Like

Omakase will run $250pp. That’s Ginza Onodera territory right?

1 Like

sgo is $400pp

Damn

Tip included at ginza tho. Top omakase is $350. So not too big of a difference

after drooling over their takeout sushi for almost a year, sushi kaneyoshi is finally open for dine-in and it was hands down one of my top meals in over a year and my favorite sushi-ya in la. the entire meal was you’re-going-to-let-the-cat-out-shut-the-front-door stupid good. heart-emoji, blush-emoji, heart-emoji. this meal was like the sushi equivalent of a hayato-like transportation to japan.

@NYCtoLA, @J_L, @Bagel, @foodshutterbug, @Sgee, @TheCookie, @A5KOBE, @hungryhungryhippos, @chrishei

can we give the bat signal for an entire restaurant?

they’re currently doing one 7pm seating a night wednesday - friday, with one menu for $250pp, which (don’t tell anybody) i think is a steal for what you get. the only thing missing is dessert. ftc buyout anybody?

hashioki
handmade by yoshi-san himself

tane starting lineup

buri
first to bat is this ridiculously lush and fatty toro buri with yuzu and wasabi.

yoshi-san

himekodai tempura with astera caviar
perfectly fried, fluffy and moist on the inside.

saba bozushi
yoshi-san makes my favorite saba bozushi to go, but eating this “piping hot”, so to speak, is even better.

kegani chawanmushi, yuzu
this was full of flavor from the sweet crab and kani miso, best chawanmushi i’ve had in a long time.

gotta get jiggy wit it

ezgif-7-c4cfb3c91307

smoked meji maguro (baby tuna), shiso flowers
another wow bite, literally butter with a hint of smoke.

soy marinated ankimo
this may be better than foie gras

smoked masu belly
goodness on a stick, come on.

sushi time
instead of repeating myself I’ll just say upfront, the nigiri is insanely good.

kasugo

sayori

anthony-san binchotan prepping the kinmedai

le sigh

ezgif-2-7fae1d6433b2

kinmedai

masu zuke
on another handmade Yoshi-san plate

yoshi-san uses mostly komezu with a bit of akazu. lovely rice, doesn’t wear on your palate like more heavily akazu seasoned rice.

maguro zuke

chutoro

kama toro
aged four days, ridiculous

ezgif-2-eadc1efa7866

kohada
NSFW

hokkaido bafun uni

murasaki uni (kyushu)
my goodness, incredible.

nodogoro

kuruma ebi

“japanese burrito”
the baby jesus futomaki @JeetKuneBao

hand for scale

anago

shrimp, nori miso

toro taku

toto

fin

28 Likes

Nice!!! Thanks for the report. That Noz smoker presentation seems to be catching on :smile:

Yes!

2 Likes

might be down for FTC pod…

7 Likes