Sushi Pick Up or Delivery

Great

1 Like

In Sherman Oaks and want sushi. Where am I going?

I have never been personally but a lot of people always mention Shin Sushi as a favorite.

2 Likes

Cool, I haven’t been either but wanting to go. Thanks!

1 Like

order through tock

4 Likes

I’m waiting for it right now! :blush:

1 Like

Since I know very little about sushi, what is the mackerel a "duh’ for being one of the best bites? Is it mackerel season?

The “duh” was purely based on personal preference—I just love mackerel :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks for the report. I was really wanting to try Sushi Tama but it’s bit inconvenient for me, and based on your report, I’m not sure I will bother. I too love saba!

1 Like

Shin Sushi - Encino

I was kinda’ sorta’ close to the vicinity and always have the thought of What food have I read about on FTC that can be incorporated into this jaunt? Sushi was on my mind. I’ve read in regular times Shin has a strict reservation-only policy, but with the alternate world of Covid I figured things were more lax. I phoned from the parking lot and was informed “no rolls“ (I get that forewarning a lot :slightly_smiling_face:) and only 3 sets to choose from. I said all is fine and they said come on in! It is just the friendly, owner-chef, Taketoshi Azumi, and a sweet helpmate.

Nanbu Bijin Tokubetsu Junmai “Southern Beauty

This award winning sake is semi-dry, soft, clean, but lush w/a slightly sweet-rice, marshmallow flavor and a fruity creaminess which always reminds me of banana in sake, I got a dash of pepper too. Delicious! :blush:

Miso Soup

Looks plain but is packed with long-cooked seafood, briney, salty, bonito flavors! :hearts:

Omakase Sushi Box

No carmakase or close-ups. I needed to get it back over the hill and on the table within an hour as instructed. Of course, dine-in nigiri is optimum and I look forward to sitting at Take-san’s counter, but Shin’s neta & shari are so enjoyable nonetheless. I didn’t get a chance to savor as usual but iirc the highlights for me - tunas, ikura, marinated salmon, scallop, kanpachi (loved) & sea eel (a little soft but flavorful), the uni got melty but was sweet, creamy & delicious, ebi nigiri was nice, compact & fresh.

Regular Chirashi

Nothing regular about this! :blush: Everything is baby-bite-sized, lol, but melt in your mouth delicious, and the shari is spot-on and flavored really well (maybe on the sweet side for some but I’m no expert). Travelled perfectly. :hearts:

Beverage Selection

Thanks Food Talkers! :sake: :sushi:

14 Likes

Brought home the deluxe chirashi from Sushi ii. I don’t have a lot to say, aside from every bite being phenomenal.

13 Likes

How was the shari?

The shari is very good, with a subtle vinegar profile and ideal temperature. I would describe it as ‘delicate,’ compared to other examples that are heartier. It also doesn’t clump together as easily as some chirashi tends to do, which may also be due to the layer of rice being thinner than I’m used to.

3 Likes

Gorgeous

1 Like

Wow they’ve upgraded their setup since the last time I was there…

4 Likes

Echigo is now doing delivery. I wasn’t a huge fan of the place as an omakase spot (being a fan of neither the hot rice style, nor of the fairly cookie-cutter 8-piece “omakase” you’re forced to go through before asking for more), but as an entrant to the delivery game their early efforts are solid.

I stuck with the basic chirashi, which arrived in a wide, rectangular container, contra the pictures on their website (not that it mattered overmuch). Fish was unpretentious but good; rice was also decent (to my preference, it may actually be better post-delivery, once it’s had the chance to cool down a bit from “hot” to “correctly-warm”). At $25 (Postmates, pick-up) it feels comparable (or maybe even slightly better) than Tsujita’s kaseindon ($31) in terms of QPR. If nothing else there’s at least more rice, so you don’t go hungry from the paltry amounts of fish all these chirashi come with :wink: At $28.80 (Grubhub) it’s less clear, but having options is good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just wanna say thanks…it’s been a month and our Kamebishi is definitely bringing the takeout sushi up a notch!

2 Likes

Love our crew here - Willing to plop down >$50 for a bottle of superior condiment when a lesser version is usually dispensed for free. #I’mGonnaAskSantaForAnEarlyGift

1 Like

Nice to see you posting @T3t. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Heads up - James slanging seikogani next weekend

1 Like