Sushi Sho - Bara Chirashi

On the second floor of a dean & deluca I had the best fucking chirashi bowl of my life. Not too surprising considering it’s made by the team from one of the best sushi-ya’s in the country, sushi sho. I had more wow bites in this one bowl than at many omakase places that are 8 times the price.

Each piece was individually prepared either by marinating in vinegar or soy sauce, curing in kombu or salt, or steaming in sake.

Only ten bowls are available a day starting at 10am and includes some of the best pickles I’ve ever had, a bowl of crustacean soup, and a kettle of hawaiian mulberry tea. All of this is a steal at $35 considering the quality and labor involved. How there’s not a line out the door when they open is beyond me.

If you can’t experience sushi sho this is probably the next best thing at a fraction of the price. Must order. @Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @NYCtoLA, @Sgee, @BradFord, @beefnoguy, @foodshutterbug, @Hungrydrunk, @JeetKuneBao, @attran99

hawaiian mulberry tea

pickles - hearts of palm, nori, tomato, daikon with cheese, cucumbers
The pickled nori was incredible, never had anything like it. It had a soft and slightly chewy texture and was filled with umami. And the tomato was an explosion of flavor when you bit into it.

crustacean soup
Made from crabs and shrimp. Delicious.

bara chirashi - tuna, onaga, santa barbara uni, big island abalone, herring eggs, squid tentacles, mackerel, boiled squid, salmon roe, oboro (shrimp powder), cherry stone clam, copper river salmon, ono, moi, halfbeak, scallop, minced button shrimp cured in kelp, black cod, salmon skin, geoduck
cucumber, japanese radish sprouts, salted seaweed, taro potato omelette, fish cake, shredded crepe egg, shiitake, green papaya kampyo, warabi, pickled ginger

fin

So good I had to come back. Apparently I was lucky the other day when I was the first to put my name in for the chirashi bowl at 930am and by the time I finished at 11 only two other bowls were ordered.

This time all 10 bowls were accounted for in under an hour after they opened at 7am. They’re pretty strict on only serving 10 bowls a day so we were extremely surprised and grateful when the host informed us she put in a special request with the chef to make us one more bowl.

So if you’re really set on trying this I would get there as early as you can. It seems pretty random at what time they sell out.

sukeroku box - futomaki, sushi sho-style inari, local hearts of palm, pickled local cherry tomato and tomato with molokai shrimp and grated taro
Pro-tip order a sushi sho sukeroku box for the ride home. Tastes great at 30k feet.

Dean & DeLuca
383 Kalaimoku St
Waikiki Beach, HI 96815

14 Likes

Superb looking.

1 Like

Holllleeeeyyy :star_struck: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Nice, i was planning a trip to Oahu this summer.

2 Likes

Thanks @PorkyBelly! :slight_smile:

That looks amazing! Bookmarking. :slight_smile: But more importantly, how did you not order 3 more bowls for a trademark @PorkyBelly Lunch? :wink: :smile:

2 Likes

Great pics @PorkyBelly.

I was wondering that same thing. The ingredients in that bowl! :hearts: I’d like to get me some of that magic tea too. An “Efficacy Instruction Card”! Talk about the little touches.

2 Likes

At 10 bowls they probably only allow one per person. :wink:

2 Likes

Ultimate side by side bang bang: Sushi Sho’s bara chirashi with Hayato’s bento box. Made in the USA!

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure that tea can cure the coronavirus.

1 Like

I may have if not for the pre-lunch loco moco bang I had earlier.

2 Likes

So good I had to come back. Apparently I was lucky the other day when I was the first to put my name in for the chirashi bowl at 930am and by the time I finished at 11 only two other bowls were ordered.

This time all 10 bowls were accounted for in under an hour after they opened at 7am. They’re pretty strict on only serving 10 bowls a day so we were extremely surprised and grateful when the host informed us she put in a special request with the chef to make us one more bowl.

So if you’re really set on trying this I would get there as early as you can. It seems pretty random at what time they sell out.

sukeroku bento - futomaki, sushi sho-style inari, local hearts of palm, pickled local cherry tomato and tomago with molokai shrimp and grated taro
Pro-tip order a sushi sho sukeroku box for the ride home. Tastes great at 30k feet. @Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @Sgee, @NYCtoLA, @Hungrydrunk, @A5KOBE

12 Likes

I :hearts: this post!

1 Like

damn that is beautiful.

1 Like

fooooooooootooooohhhhhhmahkeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy :heart_eyes: :yum:

2 Likes

First Class all the way, even on Southwest.

1 Like

That rice in the last picture is such a sight to see.

2 Likes

Pro tip: spring for an extra oz or 20 to your bowl.

3 Likes

That Chirashi and Bento, might be the greatest Japanese lunch combo in the world.

Lol at eating that ballin ass lunch on Southwest. What a sight!

3 Likes

Yep we counted about 20 ingredients in the bara chirashi. Enjoyed the mirugai and various cuts of zuke fish in particular.

$40 each box (prepaid via Tock) no longer at Dean & Deluca but rather pickup at the restaurant at 4:30.

Excellent value. The futomaki is so filling. Do not attempt to eat these after downing a loco moco for lunch.

7 Likes

looks like it’s worth a journey…

1 Like