Sushi Takeda (Formerly Sushi Hide) - Little Tokyo

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTP1oEGPlAz/

1 Like

The fun continues… I have a source telling that Sushi Sho (on Montana Ave. in SM) is planning to change its name to Sushi Hide Japanese.

#NorthernCafeExceptWithCeaseAndDesistLetters #HideAndGoSeek

2 Likes

:person_facepalming:

How is that place anyway? Drive by there all the time but don’t know much about it -not related to Sushi Sho in Hawaii i take it

New ownership. I haven’t been since the change (it’s been a while for me). Supposedly it’s now more “austere” and less “crazy roll”.

But I’m confident that it’s NOT related to Nakazawa-san’s empire, that is fo’ SHO’…

2 Likes

Wait, so what happened to Hide’s luncheon sashimi special?

Do they have online menu (anymore?) Is pickup available?

doesn’t look like takeout is available anymore

ok thx. far from westside.

this isn’t really good anymore. Price is high(er) than before.Only 1 (korean owner?) employee, no waiter,etc.

Warrior: Tonight’s dinner was very good. I liked everything we ate. The style of the sushi was conventional but balanced and classy. Rice was at an average consistency and temperature, without aggressive vinegar taste. Fish was lightly seasoned, but not austere. Fish-to-rice ratio was normal. Quality was very high across the board. There was a touch of inventiveness, like a unique kelp cracker that accompanied the fried shirako. But mostly, it was just great ingredients and skillful preparations. I liked that they dispersed the non-sushi courses throughout the meal instead of serving them all upfront; it made the meal taste more balanced. I also liked the restaurant’s relaxed feel, the chef‘s attentiveness, and the speedy pace of dishes (which was impressive given that they were also handling several surrounding tables in addition to the sushi bar). All in all, a very good meal and a good value for $250 per person with gratuity included. I liked it more than Sushi Zo, but probably not as much as Q Sushi. I would give it a star if I were a Michelin inspector.

Peony: I think the sushi from this restaurant is good quality. The chef was also creative with some of the dishes. I liked the shiokara sauce for the spear squid, the texture of the clam, and the tempura shirako. The service was very friendly and attentive, and the chef was very excited to share knowledge about the food. Just intuitively, I feel this sushi, although it is high-end, is not as memorable or impressive as other places such as Q Sushi and Sushi Zo.

4 Likes

reservations in for dinner for two on dec 28. the nigiri omakase was the only option available and so that is what i booked/paid for. i’m guessing it will be possible to add some things on. also hoping they will respond positively to the email i just sent asking if it would be possible to substitute other fish/shellfish for any bluefin being served.

made the reservation after seeing that the booking page notes that diners are required to show proof of vaccination before entering.

and in less than an hour a reply to my email: they are happy to accommodate us.

(not to look cynically at their flexibility/grace but i’ve always thought it’s a good deal for restaurants when a customer doesn’t want what is probably among the most expensive pieces in a meal with a set price.)

3 Likes

sorry to be such a tourist but we are going to have a tight drive up from seal beach to little tokyo on tuesday for our 8 pm seating. can anyone recommend optimal parking situations near sushi takeda so we don’t waste time after getting there?

most optimal, not the cheapest.

3 Likes

The parking for Weller court for Sushi Takeda is cash only. Make sure to have cash, I think it was $12

2 Likes

interesting. this goo-gull (is that how you pronounce it?) --is that available on my computational device?

1 Like

If you are using an abacus then no but otherwise, likely yes

2 Likes

Off topic but… I have such happy memories of that parking entrance b/c I loved going to the arcade there back in the 80s…

2 Likes

a very nice dinner here tonight of their nigiri omakase (plus a few add-ons).

some highlights (details to come once i’m back in minnesota).

14 Likes

i always feel a bit melancholy when posting the last restaurant report from a trip to l.a, especially when it features excellent sushi that we have no prayer of eating in minnesota. but here anyway is my report on our nigiri omakase at sushi takeda in late december. thrown in as a bonus are some thoughts on the limitations of identifying l.a’s sushi scene only/largely with the increasingly super-expensive high-end.

9 Likes