Sushi Tsujita

Anyone been lately?

Went a few months back… it was competent and service was friendly, but wasn’t super memorable, which was in contrast to the couple meals we had there under the original chef. Both of us wished we had just stuck to Mori.

Sushi Tsujita has outstanding sushi-meshi.

And, no, that’s not a back-handed compliment.

3 Likes

Sushi Tsujita has outstanding sushi-meshi.

right on. and rice is the main ingredient of sushi. (also no back handed comment).

those who enjoys the 2nd ingredient more can go to eat sashimi at Kiriko. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the FTC board! Always great to have fellow sushi fans here. What are your favorite places for great shari in L.A.?

1 Like

People also ask…

4 Likes

did the omakase lunch last week, thought it was quite good. Fish texture was sublime and rice was great.

1 Like

Who is the itamae of choice at Tsujita?

Welcome to the FTC board! Always great to have fellow sushi fans here. What are your favorite places for great shari in L.A.?

thank you~ Sushi Tsujita is best i’ve found so far, in terms of rice. have eaten recently at Shiki but not at Mori-san’s station… probably i should?

1 Like

Who is the itamae of choice at Tsujita?

i enjoyed my meals with Hide-san

2 Likes

Definitely Hide-san.

Glad his rice is getting more attention. The ika I had last month was magical with his rice. The akami is still my favorite though. Love how his is a tad warmer than most places.

1 Like

Yes - At Shiki, Mori-san prepares his own shari at his station, I believe.

Hide-san is such a nice shokunin whenever I visit Sushi Tsujita. Usually I order the Platinum Bara Chirashi for lunch there.

By the way, do you know Kenta-san at Tsujita (ramenya on Sawtelle)?

Yes - At Shiki, Mori-san prepares his own shari at his station, I believe.

!!! i must check it out

By the way, do you know Kenta-san at Tsujita (ramenya on Sawtelle)?

i wish i do~ i might have met him at one of Shunji’s anniversary parties before but am not sure

1 Like

Also try the sushi with Maru-san at Mori Sushi. The skillful use of akasu and pleasing hagotai of the shari at Mori Sushi are quite excellent.

2 Likes

Also try the sushi with Maru-san at Mori Sushi. The skillful use of akasu and pleasing hagotai of the shari at Mori Sushi are quite excellent.

thanks for the headsup. i tried a while back… but it must have been years. probably about time :slight_smile:

1 Like

those who enjoys the 2nd ingredient more can go to eat sashimi at Kiriko. :slight_smile:

btw i should say last night i ate at Kiriko and the shari was very good too. didn’t mean to say you can only eat sashimi there. but when i just want a quick meal with a few high quality dishes, i do think Kiriko is the place to go (especially now that Morinoya is no more).

1 Like

Ken-san is awesome at Kiriko. He truly cares about the food and the customers.
I, too, miss Mori-san at Morinoya. Hope he is enjoying his retirement!

Just a friendly heads-up (apologies for the thread drift). Kiriko has a pretty fantastic cherry blossom ice cream. It might be worth it to stop in just for that.

4 Likes

What are your favorite places for great shari in L.A.?

@J_L, i thought about your question again today when i casually walked into (the newish) Asuka near westwood. suprisingly well seasoned rice, amazingly ‘toothy’. i have to go back for more visits to check for consistency, but so far this may be the best valued sushi i’ve found in the city. (used to be Wadatsumi before they moved to Torrance. never been to the new location yet.)

1 Like

We went to Sushi Tsujita for an omakase dinner, and I gotta say, the omakase dinner is pretty underrated. We regularly go hit them up for the bara-chirashi lunch, which is a great value, and i usually order pieces of nigiri to go with the lunch. But I was reminded recently (and shouldn’t be surprised) that dinner is at a completely different level - the shari is much much better. It’s a nice al dente where you feel all the very discreet pops of rice - there’s a pungent but not overpowering flavor from the akazu. Also, the omakase is by no means cheap, but it comes in at 25-40% cheaper than the last few meals we have had at Mori (which is still our favorite). I think Sushi Tsujita might have to come back into our rotation for dinners.

The below is all with Hide-San.

First things first - they serve Akitabare Suirakuten sake by the glass here! This was my go to order at Mori for a while.

Grilled sharkskin flounder over greens and tofu skin - a nice start to the meal

Smoked toro- had this before and it was decent this time but not stunning - in all the nigiri outshone the cooked dishes

Iwashi roll - very nice with the mitsuba green in the middle for just a bit of herbal ness to complement the oily fish flavor

Yari ika- spear squid - good chewiness but still soft thanks to the knife work

Tako with egg and miso sauce - wasn’t a fan of this dish, as it was a bit sweet

Akami

Shima aji

Seared toro with yamaimo (mountain yam) a the mountain yam’s brightness complemented the richness of the toro and served as a nice palate cleanser at this point in the meal

Katsuo with garlic and kombu - we loved this piece

Nodoguro - always our favorite; Hide-San told us he had given us the rare belly pieces

Botan ebi

Smoked sawara

Toro

Mirugai

Bafun uni from Hokkaido with ikura

Ordered this ALC - aji

Shrimp head broth - I assume from our botan ebi heads though we neglected to ask. Delicious.

Also ALC - iwashi; the hikari mono was on fire tonight

ALC - told the chef to pick a roll for us, and he made futo maki. It was a really lovely combination with the mitsuba and kanpyo mixed in with anago and shrimp; we loved this

Tamago to finish the meal

The OG Toto

11 Likes