Swadesh - lil Bangladesh

Been going for that crazy roti/paratha and curry action since Bourdain told us about the place. It’s so good. Get that Yani too. And the tandoori.

9 Likes

The Mid-City Eater Strikes Again! Great job.

2 Likes

I’ve been in there to pu up some grocery items but haven’t tried their food—I can’t remember if it’s a buffet (like Bangla Bazaar next door-ish) or if the food is cooked to order. Do they have lamb too?

Eh its ok, I use to live down the block and I tried most of the Bangaldeshi places on 3rd street and honestly much of it was pretty low quality in my opinion.

Goat usually there, not lamb. Warmer trays etc, not buffet but you order from counter same as any indian spice store that has food… BUT they make fresh roti and parathas and have a proper tandoor

Swadesh is high quality in my and Bourdain’s opinion. Your mouth and preferences, not your living proximity matters :stuck_out_tongue: (i’m 2 miles away)

Surprised nobody is talking about the fish egg curry

Maybe I’ve never ordered correctly at these places on this street but I’ve often found the food to be quite oily for my taste.

Also as much as I love and worship Bourdain I never assume amyone’s opinion on taste to be a free pass because we all have different preferences.

1 Like

I see. Have you ordered in Bangladesh? We have to rate things within their own context and culture. We don’t get to say it’s oily and I don’t like that, so it’s just ok.

It’s quite oily I agree and easy to get a stomach ache, but it’s extremely delicious and satisfying to me. I destroyed the biryani (by hand) for dinner

Bourdain’s choices, I can trust blindly. Has never disappointed.

1 Like