Tell me of some of your favorite places to eat in the general vicinity of Cerritos, Norwalk, & Artesia

Thanks, @TonyC…ask and ye shall receive. I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

1 Like

Ended up going to Amor y Tacos since I saw it mentioned a couple times by a couple different people. Holy smokes. It was great. Everything we had was packed to the brim with bright and rich flavors.

Sitting down, it had the familiar atmosphere to some of the Mexican restaurants you’ll see smattered across suburbia in the western US. The large tortilla chips that you break apart were light and not too greasy, and the salsa was refreshing without being too boring. The horchata was a fine enough horchata, but $3.50 and no refills feels a bit steep.

But those mole tots! These tots fight the power. The mole is super rich without being too dense, and the whole dish is addictive as all get out. I would drive back for these.

Having passed the sweet lady making tortillas at the station right next to the front door, I couldn’t not get some tacos. As @Dommy mentioned, it’s a bummer that you can’t mix and match (although there is a taco tour for like $5 more). Opted for the short rib after seeing it mentioned in this thread, albeit in regards to the taquitos, and they were great. The tortillas were soft and pillowy and chewy and a perfect vehicle for the taco. Some of the best I can remember having.

The meal also came with a side of rice and beans, which was a damned treat.

I know that I had a very limited selection of the menu, but this was one of the tastiest Mexican meals I’ve had for a while. Maybe since I ate at Anaya in West Adams a bit ago? It feels very comforting and filling without being too much of a bomb. I just skimmed through the Best Mexican Restaurant in LA thread and didn’t see it mentioned, but in my humble opinion, it might deserve to be thrown in the mix. Why not?

Thanks for the recommendations, all!

6 Likes

Fucking yes indeed they fight the power.

When I first discovered them, I was about 20 pounds lighter and about 3 pant sizes smaller. Ok, who am I kidding, about 5 pant sizes smaller.

5 Likes

AMEN. Your post still rings true today. Pretty much exactly described my experience. Bless those tots.

1 Like

From your keyboard to my waistline!

@liq How early should I turn up if I want to have lunch around noon? My office is about 10-15 minutes away.

Plus 1 on Renu Nakorn.

@attran99 Don’t know around noon time. One time I was there at 12:45, wait should have been around 10 minutes or less. The staff are kinda inexperience, so there are empty tables not being filled at times.

Went today for lunch. Showed up a bit before noon, and was seated immediately. The line queued up shortly after we had ordered. The ramen was good, and the shoyu broth was nice. The charsu was very good. I also liked the fried chicken.

Downtown Artesia Pioneer Blvd was packed yesterday. Tables at Akosha and Surati were an hour + wait. We ended up ordering to go from Akosha. I forgot how much spicier more traditional Indian food is vs the steam table stuff you get at a place like Curry Hut. Everything was delicious and spicy even though we ordered medium. My favorite dish was the okra. My wife loved the aloo gobi. There is a place for both types of Indian in our lives. My kids tongues were on fire. They ate a lot of rice and naan.

7 Likes

It’s been a while since I responded/posted cause I forgot my password so I just lurked.

Since this is area I’m familiar with I’d like to do my PSA to hopefully save you from getting speeding tickets when you come to visit. Pioneer Blvd. going south from 183rd St. (this is the area where the road changes from 2 lanes to 1) is now 15mph. Sheriffs have been spotted “hiding” across from Ambala Sweets which is past 184th. I know this site is about food so I’ll bite my tongue and not comment about what the community thinks about the changes there over the years.

Been going to Ashoka the Great for many years and ordered deliveries during the pandemic. Depending on who’s working at the front, sometimes they give me spicy masala sauce, other times, they have no clue what I’m talking about. We discovered India House reopened on Valley View in Buena Park (the father used to own IH by Movieland on Beach but eventually closed). Kamal, the son, now runs the new place and is the nicest, helpful, patient person, always smiling. We are closer to Little India so if we’re not lazy, we drive to IH cause of Kamal. He allows reasonable adjustments to dishes, ie., no butter, cream, low salt, etc. Whether we eat there or pick up, orders are always correct.

Getting on the soapbox—lately I’ve noticed highly salted dishes even though I put “Pls low salt, low oil, thanks…” in the notes section of third party delivery app but I guess they don’t read those notes. Thought I’d try new G Star Grill and Wings and ordered chicken saag, my usual dish at the other Indian restaurants and an item we’ve never had, Chicken do Pyaza. First thought, not too many chicken pieces with the saag and Pyaza was mostly big pieces of onions which I was ok with but noted to self, maybe taste would be worth a return visit. Even though I put my usual low salt, low oil in the notes section, the food was too salty. The same happened when I ordered a protein bowl from Yelpers’ highly rated Appu’s Cafe in LB. Been there many times either ate inside, outside or togo, ordered the same items, got to know the owner and cook who’s been with his family for many years. I called and spoke to Dr VR and mentioned it to him so he can adjust his dishes. To my surprise, he wanted to make me a new bowl, low salt, and deliver it. I said, no cause I felt bad that he was willing to make the drive to make it right. I said I’ve been there many times so I know what his dishes taste like and since he and his wife are doctors I’m sure he’d agree highly salted foods are not good for the blood pressure and kidneys. He said he couldn’t give me credit, which I said I’m ok with cause we’ll order again so he said he would note my info for the next time I order so he could do it right & replace the dish-awesome owner. I never call businesses for free meals & I don’t call whenever there’s something wrong with my orders, unless there’s a big mistake. A few days ago I ordered Chinese and Mexican foods from same, new restos I’ve ordered from before with same notes except these last times, both were too salty (there are other fam members who say the same so it’s not just me). Shame cause they leave not sour taste but salty taste in my mouth. I’ve eaten my fair share of different kinds of food so I’m not that salt sensitive but having Stage 3 kidney disease, it’s even more important for me to preserve my kidneys. Hate to shout but maybe I need to type the notes in ALL CAPS?

Thank you for reading this, getting off the soapbox now. Please be careful when driving through Pioneer Blvd and enjoy your visits.

10 Likes

Really great info here. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for the PSA about speeding. I can easily see how you’d get a ticket when that area turns into 15mph.

First thing I said when we opened the package from Akosha was they didn’t give us the spicy masala. We probably didn’t need it anyway but funny you mentioned. India House is also much closer to us so we’ll have to give that a try sometime. Any recommendations?

1 Like

I only discovered the spicy masala sauce when the nice gentleman at the front offered to ask the kitchen to make some when I asked for spicier sauce while we were having the buffet, pre-pandemic. I have better luck asking for green chutney sauce but I drool for that masala sauce @ Ashoka.

Nowadays the fam is smaller so we usually get the same 2 items + 1 or 2 I might want to try at India House—1 or 2 orders of tandoori chicken (I request mix of thighs & drumsticks, some restos only give drumsticks), chicken vindaloo for SO, 1 order plain naan with no butter & 1 garlic naan with only bit of butter. We’ve tried butter chicken, chicken tikka masala, chicken saag, eggplant Bhakti (#1 fave veg), saag paneer (#2 fave, the fam doesn’t like lentils, kidney beans or chick peas), samosas, butterfly shrimps & chili chicken. We haven’t tried everything in their menu but we’ve never had a bad meal there. Rice comes with the entrees and Kamal has given us extra at no charge when we need more but we’re always willing to pay for extra. Again, you can request different spice levels, eliminate or reduce certain ingredients. Pre-pandemic he was accepting Bitcoin but since things have opened up, we haven’t been back cause we’ve been busy checking out other places. Shhh, tip…Kamal allows BYOAD (Bring Your Own Alcoholic Drink, no corkage fee—there’s a liquor store to his right & Smart & Final to the left and pls be discreet so he doesn’t get into trouble).
The other places—The Recess Room in Fountain Valley. 1st visit last year we just had to try the pig head (they do different themes so not always served the same way). This 2nd time, celebrated graduation so went back and shared the bone marrow, Brussels sprouts, carpaccio, burger, tartare and the growing young man had the tomahawk. Sorry, my pictures are so embarrassingly awful but I found a decent one to share👍🏽

Still in celebration mode, we tried Gaucho Grill, former El Torito on Orangethorpe in Buena Park. I worked across the street for almost 20 years so sad not to see ET where there were a lot of team building sessions. GG is a great replacement. We shared but young man ate most of the proteins. He ordered the “a la carte” Wagyu Ribeye with side of papas ahumadas for extra charge. SO & I chose Lomo Argentino “Gaucho Style” which comes with 2 sides (purée rustic potatoes and salad which was so/so initially but tasted better after I added the bacon dressing). Also had the chocolate bread pudding-yummy, warm w/ice cream and some fruits.
Uploading: DE0EC0DA-CA16-4306-BBF0-C0E48E37E129.jpeg…
Uploading: 87C4B939-AC14-45AB-B0B1-75F437B6D880.jpeg…
Uploading: 51CD0AA3-5CF0-44F5-A14D-B11293C01192.jpeg…

Uploading: 74AA4EB9-05BD-478B-AD25-EBD4969DF3E3.jpeg…

I think I’ve reached my max picture allowance so these will have to do. Discovered the GG HH so went back last Friday & shared mussels which we liked the first time, fries, burger, spinach and smoked short rib empanadas, calamari (ask for the sauce to be on the side), small filet w/potatoes for the young man and the nice chocolate bread pudding, washed down w/a pitcher of sangria. We were impressed with the service the first time, waitress & runners very attentive but not this 2nd time. Waiter didn’t get 2 orders right, coffee served after most of the dessert eaten, forgot items we requested, etc. but we’re not hard to please and would be happy to return. Sliced baguette w/2 types of chimchurris (spicy one is our fave; the first visit, the runner gave me a big container to take home, not full container but more than a thimble size or usual sauce containers). I noticed attran99 mentioned GG in Downey; Buena Park is closer to those coming from NoOC or these parts of SELA. Soon, to open in Pasadena. Was hoping to try their crispy roasted suckling pig but alas no longer on the menu a/o last Friday—boohoo. Oh well, extra cholesterol wasn’t meant to be.

…then, out of silliness, we decided to go & patronize Coco’s for their F-Su Prime Rib (all gone by 4:30) so settled for roast beef with creamed spinach (nope, all gone too so just got mixed, limp, freezer burned vegs). Later asked for chocolate ice cream (not available). Broccoli soup was so salty but veg soup was better. All in all, Coco’s, we won’t be seeing each other anytime soon, Norms is a better choice especially the one on Euclid in Anaheim, Lakewood so/so.

Enjoy your new discoveries and continue to be safe. Sad that when daughter moved to the Met Bldg in DTLA, the pandemic happened and never got to try Broken Spanish or watch games at Staples. I so badly wanted to try their oxtail tamales after I saw the window sign. Chef said they were only open to fix meals for first responders. Watch out, Silverlake, here I come with an open mind and willingness to try new dishes. Take care…

7 Likes

Most of the sauces for the dishes are prepared well in advance and salted - so it would be hard for them to adjust the salt levels

Yes, but I’ve had the same dishes a few times from the same restos and they were not as salty and that’s why I re-ordered… Even our young man tells me when the dishes are heavily salted. I realize the amount of seasoning is dependent upon the chefs/cooks’ taste buds but I would think if customers prefer highly salted foods, they can always add more salt, fish sauce, anchovy paste, soy sauce, etc. I don’t mean bland foods, just enough salt for flavoring so food can be enjoyable. The dishes at Ashoka, India House, Ambala Sweets & Snacks are consistently not highly salted so we make return visits. Once in a while, I like to try different restos and patronize the small mom & pop shops to help them. Thanks for your comments @honkman.

One of the reasons why restaurant food (and frozen supermarket dinner etc.) often taste so good is their high salt content. There is little interest for restaurants to lower their salt levels in their dishes as many dishes might not taste as good as before for customers.

Thank you again, @honkman, for your comments and sharing the article. Wow, “The panel’s approved level of 2,300 milligrams per day, however, is still far below the average of 3,400 milligrams of sodium that Americans consume per person per day, much of it from processed foods.” If my daily sodium intake is that much, I’d retain so much fluid I’d look like a blimp, doctor would have to give me mega doses of Lasix & I’d be on dialysis. Guess this old fart is in the minority cause I don’t like salt more than the young people around me. Gout is also my best friend so processed food is not in my regular diet tho I will sometimes try small sample sizes if they might be worth me limping in a few days​:joy:. I’m surrounded by many ethnic restos so I can still enjoy many different dishes with “normal” levels of salt that my body can handle…or I just ask to eliminate drizzled teriyaki sauce on top or don’t use fish dipping sauces. But sometimes when Filipino kare-kare is calling out to me, I need that shrimp paste. Of course, in moderation. RIP Mark Peel​:smiling_face_with_tear::pray:t5:

2 Likes

It’s so nice to see you back, @WeFlipBurgers!
Nice to know the GG has HH. It’s not too far from our house.
I highly recommend Isla across the street. Tuesdays they have $7 Mojito specials and a live band. The food is also good.
I think Ashoka is the spiciest of all the restaurants in Little India. I’ve been my way through and their heat is really heat. I need at least 1 mango lassi to help balance it out.

1 Like

Thanks @attran99. HH patrons @ GG’s bar area weren’t as loud and boisterous as @ Los Compadres in Norwalk. If you’re in Long Beach, east of the 710, we found their 2nd location at Pine/Lily. At GG, we noticed the bartender serving a drink inside a smokey box called Smoked Old Fashioned that you might be interested in. Thanks also for the reminder about Isla which I’ve had on my wish list along with Gram’s Kitchen which unfortunately has closed but fortunately reopened as Monora Asian Street Food Bar with the same menu as the one on South Street. What do you like at Isla? I’m interested in the Masitas de Puerco and noticed they have Pollo ala Plancha and salmon for SO so a visit may only require minimal bribery. Is that the former Togo’s?
I love spicy food and prefer heat over highly salted food. When Renu Nakorn reopened years ago, my cocky younger self asked for koi soy Thai spicy. Wowzee, I met my match and felt defeated from too much heat. If you like pani puri, I found the best ones are from Ambala Sweets; they don’t shatter when you crack holes for the fillings & sauces. At the counter you can buy small containers of the green chutney. Disappointed they haven’t had khandvi the last 2x I’ve been there.
To you, @attran99 and the rest of the FTCers, thank you for allowing me to live vicariously through all of you. Even though the majority of the places are outside my driving range and some require a thicker wallet, I’ve enjoyed reading about your food experiences. Missing FTC friend @Chowseeker1999 & @ipsedixit, of course. Now drooling for some Isla grub but looks like the young man is still celebrating and wants to go to Texas de Brazil cause he and his friends really liked Fogo de Chao in BH. Feeding kids nowadays require a Line of Credit. SO grew up eating bananas, tomatoes or baked beans on toast :scream:

4 Likes