The FTC47 (2019 Edition)

Glorious! No snow, 45-60, 1 rainy day. Are you not following my adventures on IG?

3 Likes

I absolutely appreciate Gustavo Arellano but implying Escarcega is purely a diversity hire is incredibly condescending if not worse. Moreover, even though she recently comes from Arizona she was born in southern California and has talked about her family experiences there and elsewhere.

I get respect and mourning for Jonathan Gold but food criticism isn’t a zero sum game. Escarcega, Addison, Arellano and others all have their own qualities and it’s not necessary to hate some individuals because we like others.

10 Likes

If your intention wasn’t to cast aspersion on Escarcega’s qualifications I genuinely apologize. Also, we all have our preferences for food and food criticism couched in earned experiences so I respect that you don’t like Addison and Escarcega as LA Times food critics.

However, saying “I don’t think she’s a diversity hire, I think the people that hired her think she’s a diversity hire” is more than just cynical- it’s throwing accusations at the LA Times and diminishing the accomplishments of the individual in question.

If you find my comment reflexive then good: we should all pay attention to how our words can possibly hurt others. I’ve been corrected on my language in the past and I’m sure will be again in the future. I hope (as with the patient people schooling me in my life) it’s clear I’m not trying to shame you but rather learn something together and make our community a minutely more compassionate place.

3 Likes

@robert, can we move @DeepFryer’s threaddrift to the appropriate LA Times 101 thread?

Likewise, thank you for responding courteously! I also believe in the push and pull of an open forum and I’m sorry if I read anything you wrote out of context. I appreciate FTC and its community members for exactly these discussions.

2 Likes

Hi @Starchtrade

Yep, I get that. You’re literal kinda’ guys. Fair enough. Robert asked and J_L answered. Robert tallied and posted a factually interesting fact sheet. :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you. Then. He used my posting appreciation of J_L’s efforts as a straw man for an argument. “You took my brand.”

…You’re damn skippy.

I agree about HO @Bookwich. But I really don’t see much of a difference here. There’s awesomeness and aggravation on both boards. What I am learning is it’s more fun just to stick with posting Restaurant experiences and Cooking efforts. Anything else is usually a minefield.

Happy 2020 Eating!

4 Likes

You should get a badge for keenest & funniest one-liners.

3 Likes

who’s doing next year’s list?

7 Likes

3 Likes

You get a car!