The Gold 101

My impression was that he hasn’t tried it but once since Maru-san took over, so likely not in the last 3+ years, so he wouldn’t be able to include it. It’s heartening that he’s willing to go back but I believe he’s said he’d do that before and obviously hasn’t gone back yet. Might be waiting a while.

This, don’t get the logic behind that, just cause a restaurant has slightly declined on the one visit you make, it automatically makes it bad. Also Golden Deli has good egg rolls, but the pho itself and rice dishes are terrible. And I don’t even know what to say about Troic Mec being that high.

Respect for their objectives? Yes, I agree.
Enjoys? Unfortunately, an emphatic NO.

Hey look on the bright side - More seats at the bar in front of Maru-san for us!

2 Likes

While Marouch offers fine Lebanese food, it’s greatly outclassed by Carnival Restaurant in Sherman Oaks.

I for one like Q very much. I place it side by side with Mori, Asanebo, Shunji, and Zo as the best nigiri in the city. I think placing it at #11, however, is way too high given that it costs as much as the aforementioned restaurants and seems to provide considerably less food - and thus the overall value is lower.

Kiriko doesn’t belong on the list IMO. For nigiri and composed plates at roughly the same price point, Sushi Tsujita and Sushi Tanaka are both superior.

I would have loved to see a more random Thai place. Luv2Eat. Isaan Station. Come on Gold…

2 Likes

r[quote=“kevin, post:40, topic:1615, full:true”]
But was Susan Lucci a great fucking actor ???
[/quote]

in that case, so is william shatner

1 Like

I think it’s a valuable list. Most of the restaurants I’ve been to on the list are at least worth trying. And aside from Mori and Urasawa, I can’t name any omitted restaurants that obviously should be in the list of top 101 LA restaurants.

i too would have put more Thai restaurants on the list. And more SGV Chinese, even though he does name many already.

Anybody else notice that Gold didn’t include Guisados? I love that.

But he did include border grill. I never have understood why he likes that place. I’d put guisados ahead of border grill.

1 Like

Does it seem like J Gold has stopped eating at the lower-end places, and so has to resort to his old knowledge bank for something like Jitlada or Golden Deli? I feel like his list is getting heavier on the big-ticket and celebrity-driven places every year, and he’s not keeping up with the low-end joints.

1 Like

there are only so many meals you can have in a week even when it’s your job. i try to visit at least one new place a week and as a consequence it may take me months to go back to a place i like just for chinese food in the SGV, and i’ve been doing this for almost 3 years. it’d probably get geometric when you try to cover the southland which he’s done off & on since 1986 for every possible ethnic cuiinse that can be found here. i’d 'think it’d be realistic for him to have not kept up with the majority of the lower end places he’s reviewed. and since he’s jonathan gold, he can probably get comped at just about any place he chooses to visit when he’s not reviewing. i’d take that over say, going back to buu dien in chinatown.

He has (had?) scouts though.

Way overrated!

Wasn’t Clarissa one for a time?

that’s a better response than i would have given.

Do the scouts get paid ???

I’d volunteer.

And the reason that Border Grill and Mozza (which got its start way so many years ago from Campanile) and Spago are on the list might be just that Gold’s formative eating years were spent in the mid-to-late 1980s, and BG, Campanile, and the og Spago were all in their original fucking heights in those years.

just a fucking thought.

Me no understand.

If your job is a restaurant critic, then I’d imagine during any given week you’d probably have at least 10-15 times to have a meal at a restaurant (5 weekdays x 3 meals (or 2 meals)). Get off the couch and put in a bit of overtime, and you’re easily at 18 or 19 meals a week.

Heck if it’s your job to review/report on restaurants, what are doing besides eating at restaurants? During the work week, that is.