The Jonathan Gold oldies channel

the wayback machine is so awesome! I was able to look through and find some old recipes from the Lucky Peach website I remembered.

1 Like

Rad! I got to re-read one of the threads which grabbed my initial interest in Chowhound, waaay back in 1998, by some young upstart named ‘jonathan gold’… #reminiscing

7 Likes

And more of JGold, the OG L.A. Chowhound

4 Likes

thank you for this! these are so awesome!

3 Likes

The man is pure gold, au pied de la lettre

1 Like

i think someone should start a thread on all his old chowhound discussions. hint, hint…

5 Likes

Indeed… This thread is certainly drifting towards a split. @robert, if you would be so kind?

2 Likes

it’s bringing me great joy to read his stuff again.

It’s the wholesale Europeanization of
non-European cuisines that bugs me, the idea
that to succeed–i.e., draw Range Rovers,
charge high prices, and earn the respect of the
Beard House guys–it is necessary to tone down
spices, eliminate stinky ingredients like shrimp
paste and asafoetida, cut the fat in half and
adjust joyous, communal dining styles to fit
date-night appetizer-entree-dessert
expectations. Something is gained, yes, but
too much is lost.-JGold

i love his writing so much, (even when its casual like in a forum) i used to bother him on twitter and ask him to send me links of past writings that weren’t about food. and sometimes, he would oblige.

12 Likes

Any chance you might be able and willing to share those links here (or on the new JGold thread, when it happens)?

1 Like

i’ll try to look through my twitter account.

1 Like

Unfortunately the links do not work anymore
Here is a photo I took off my computer because I don’t believe the advanced search option is available on the Twitter app.

3 Likes

One of Mr Gold’s first reviews of @JLee’s food. Back in the days of Spirit House in Monterey Park.

Taco Wednesday: Chashu tacos at Spirit House in Monterey Park

5 Likes

Good gawd, Lincoln Plaza! I remember when that place was BUILT, and now it’s a relic (I imagine). Not sure what makes me… ::sigh::

Those tako fries sound delish. Does @JLee ever do a limited run of them at PRD???

1 Like

Such a treasure

Could you please flag the post where you think the split should go?

1 Like

Done. I think when the Way Back Machine was mentioned…

9. Third-wave coffee: Do we applaud fair-trade, sustainable farmed, shade-grown joe? Sure. Why not? But when we sit down to a cup of coffee in the morning, we are not particularly interested in the blueberry, caramel, or tomato soup nuances a dedicated roaster can coax out of a bean, nor in the intricate ballet of the four-minute pour-over or the Eva Solo flagon. We want coffee that tastes like coffee, and we want it now.

4 Likes

I love JGold. I have a book with his reviews and I love the doc. We love the same restaurants and same neighborhoods. But I disagree with that.

I think 3rd wave coffee is one of the best trends these past what 10 years?

That’s how coffee suppose to taste like! I want to taste the different berry notes or citrus notes or chocolate notes.

How could most people drink coffee their whole life and not realize the world of coffee from different regions, cultures, preparation, etc.

What change for me was having a natural Ethiopian, the fact that it smelled and tastes like blueberries blew my f’ing mind!!! I can’t believe I been drinking crappy coffee my whole life until then.

3 Likes

I thought this was insane 60 dishes to try in Koreatown

2 Likes

I also appreciate well made espresso based drinks.

You mean to tell me that it’s not suppose to be dumped with cream and and 10 pumps of syrup.

Having a Cortado blew my mind too. Having a Caffe Borgia also blew my mind.

With that said I’ll probably go to Dunkies for some coffee tomorrow morning lol