The Menu (2022) - Film

I saw the trailer for this upcoming movie in front of Men today, and I am very intrigued. It’s got the tone of a horror/dark comedy mash up and I will be delighted if it can skewer me to death :joy:

It’s produced by Adam McKay, and has some Succession alums behind the camera.

I haven’t been able to find the trailer online, but if it’s playing now in theaters it should pop up soon.

6 Likes

How’d you like Men? I walked in during Nicole’s Welcome so maybe missed The Menu trailer, which I haven’t seen or heard of

Did you see Boiling Point?

Nah haven’t seen Boiling Point but I’ll check it out!

The Menu was the first trailer that played during my showing, so yeah must have missed it. The cast looks stacked.

I liked Men–the whole ending was just one big what the fuck–and the performances were really great. I’ve always like Alex Garland’s films and how he leaves things up to interpretation. That said, I have no desire to see this movie again :sweat_smile: unlike his other movies.

1 Like

That is a great review of Men :joy:

I just started Boiling Point, been wanting to watch it for a while. Not sure how I feel about it so far

1 Like

Give us an update when you finish!

It’s worth a watch. I’m not sure I agree with 99% RT :joy: but I’m pretty judgmental as I used to work in restaurants. Anything done in one take is always impressive though

1 Like

Saw the trailer last night, it looks great

1 Like

Here’s the trailer!

4 Likes

So, they’re eating the rich, right? Given it’s Adam McKay it seemed like a farcical/literal take on the phrase. Plus the Judas goats in the beginning…

3 Likes

Anyone else see it this weekend? I think @Armillaria did?

I LOVED it. Just felt like it was roasting me–absolutely hilarious (especially the first half). My friends and I were cackling all the way to the end.

6 Likes

I enjoyed it very much. Kinda nail on some social profiles for the typical fine dining eaters out there… Wouldn’t mind to see it again. It’s funny in a painfully sadistic way, which is very relatable. Fucking eaters :sweat_smile::hamburger: which side are you @rlw :joy:

Speaking of food related movie, there is a heart warming one called Table for Six that is quite relax to watch, too. Not a master piece of sort but very enjoyable.

4 Likes

Oh I’d definitely be killed :joy: I’m not sure getting the jokes about how much of a blowhard I can be would save me

5 Likes

That Passard Egg for winning hide and seekwas my favorite bit :rofl:

8 Likes

First two acts were great I don’t understand the third act? Am I missing something?

I also got this email from vespertine and it makes me laugh on so many levels :joy::joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

What part of it wasn’t connecting with you? Why they all didn’t just force their way out?

I just read it as he cooked the haters as his final dish.

1 Like

It just kind of falls apart for me. Like he lets her go because she requested a dish that he first cooked at his first job? And then just burns them all I dunno first two acts has me laughing third act I was like this isn’t resolving in a satisfying way.

Also i figured ppl would die the boyfriend dies off screen and the host is killed but otherwise it’s kind of thriller free.

3 Likes

Yeah, I see that. I think he let her go really because he recognized that she was a service worker, and thus by his qualifications wasn’t someone that needed to be “set free”. It would have been just killing an innocent person to him.

I thought the sous chef death was pretty shocking!

And counterpoint–I think it would have been even more unsatisfying if any of them had actually lived :joy: so I’m glad they actually did it in the end

2 Likes

I thought he let her go because she’s unlike any of the entitled and rich guests. She doesn’t care for any of the esoteric offerings he was forced to craft. In cooking these bougie food, he ultimately lost his joy for cooking. But then she was able to remind him what the style of cooking that he enjoyed…simple food like flipping burgers since he was smiling in that particular news clip.

6 Likes

Yeah it just didn’t work as well for me I guess. Third act is always the hardest!

3 Likes