The Menu (2022) - Film

the burger looked great, but man, I thought the ending was boring

2 Likes

I agree that the ending was probably the weakest bit. While the concept of the human s’more is amusing, and shots of it were beautiful (esp that overhead shot) the diners’ easy acceptance of their fate rang a little false for me. I could think of ways to handwave away my objections, but the rest of the film was so much fun I can forgive the misstep.

5 Likes

I think by the end of the film, the diners were resigned for to their fate. The chef even mentions that they could have tried harder… but being acolytes…. They could not help but be part of what next… to see how the chef played things out. They were willing to go because they understood their part in the grand menu. Plus…. Their death would always be associated with Hawthorne. That’s like a foodie badge of honor if there ever was one

3 Likes

Good catch.

Agreed started off strong ended in a whimper

2 Likes

So, in the end, does anyone know who was guiding that boat leading off the island with our ‘heroin’, burger in hand? Apparently talented, she knew how to operate this craft…

4 Likes

Tesla technology.

3 Likes

Now on Hulu. Not a great film but worth watching, especially for the fair number of big laughs. Reportedly the director often gave the cast an extra take in which they could improvise, which was the source of “taco Tuesday.” Production values were excellent, continuity not so much. The wines were as real as the Tehachapi Grain Project.

The ending was silly but then so was the fundamental concept, crossing “trapped in an isolated place with a killer” horror with a parody of Chef’s Table, plus a dash of Agatha Christie in the cast of stereotypes. It was obvious to me from very early on that Margot was the designated sole survivor as required by the genre.

Learning afterward that Dominique Crenn designed the food was pretty funny.

I once owned a PacoJet. The patent has expired so you can now get a knockoff for under $200.

1 Like