'The New York Times' Shared A Carbonara Recipe So Offensive Even Italian TV

https://www.comicsands.com/nyt-carbonara-recipe-italian-backlash-2659372818.html?fbclid=IwAR1jQknXINB3pj9dlNJmjs_PFqjgdEytu_IeQtMQOxuYBv4QwR_5MNQkO1Q

Are you kidding me??? The NYT!!!

Holy cow. One does wonder what they (the NYT) was thinking…

I subscribe to the NYT but the food is a separate subscription which I don’t get. Glad I don’t.

nytimes actually first posted that in 2021, and it caused an uproar then as well

After sharing I wondered if it was for real.

I wonder why this is getting attention now, since the recipe was originally posted in April of 2021.

@burritoking Sorry, didn’t see your post before I made mine!

Probably got restarted by some clickbait site.

FWIW I use bacon cause I always have it on hand. It’s a go-to as I usually have ALL the ingredients on hand. But tomatoes - in any form - NFW!

Pasta with bacon, eggs, Reggiano, and tomato sounds tasty, it’s just not carbonara. Adding a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste seems less of a deviation from tradition than the common American thing of adding cream.

Traditionally it would be made with 100% Pecorino Romano, though even in Rome these days people often use half Reggiano.

1 Like

I make Hazan’s onion/butter tomato sauce and freeze in a mini-muffin pan. Maybe next time I’ll pop one in.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I love the parm-Romano blend from trader joes