Tired Of Terrible French Fries

Fries at Augie’s on Main are fantastic. Crispy outside soft inside, just perfect.

1 Like

Only had it once, but agree that the fries were good. Fried chicken burger also quite respectable.

1 Like

Are the regular fries at Violet the same as the ones they serve with the steak frites?

I like:

• the fries at Wurstkuche
  • the (thinner) fries at Daybird
  • the (much thicker) fries at Eszett

At least we can all agree the worst fries are at In N Out.

My favorite fries are at Delfina (off menu), Zuni Cafe, Five Guys and Plan Check.

4 Likes

I love the skin-on garlic fries at Gordon Biersch in Burbank. I can’t imagine better.

2 Likes

Completely agree . In an out the worst . What happened?

In-N-Out’s fries were always bad.

1 Like

Not when they first opened

In 1948?

Fuck whenever. 15 years ago

1 Like

No. I’ve been going to In and Out for well over a decade more than that… and they were awful then too. It’s the process. It was somewhat novel when no one was really doing fresh cut fries… but now that people are… it’s ridiculous…

4 Likes

Also freezing does some science or whatever to fries.

4 Likes

I’ve noted before that we order our In-n-Out fries well done to help get around their wimpy normal state. It usually improves them but sometimes they’re overdone. :woozy_face:

5 Likes

I also ate there 15 years ago. The fries sucked, and they told you half the reason why: they cut fresh potatoes. The other half is that they fry them only once. Overcooking them can’t fix that.

1 Like

daybird French fries are amazing!

1 Like

I haven’t ordered “inside” there since before COVID, but when I used to order fries at InO (always well-done), they would take a basketful out of the fryer, “hang it” to drain, then pour them into a another basket for a second fry. I suppose technically that’s still just one fry, vs two separate frying sessions at different oil temperatures, cooling them to room temp in-between. Still an improvement over their standard single-fry.

1 Like

Well done In N Out fries are better but they still are trash. I’ve ordered burgers at In N Out then gone across the street to McDonalds for fries. Then walked back to pick up the burgers at In N Out. Timing works out well. My wife thinks I’m crazy but did she eat her fair share of fries?

Placentia Blvd and Chapman Ave

13 Likes

I know that area lol. You can also grab a cherry limeade at Sonics lol

5 Likes

Triple bang!

1 Like