Tired Of Terrible French Fries

Lomo saltado, rotisserie chicken and plantains are excellent. It’s the best Peruvian we’ve had outside of LA. Our go to when we were younger was Balcones for reference.

4 Likes

how is that possible? are these mutant fries?

3 Likes

Mutant potatoes. I’m probably exaggerating a bit but 7-8 inches. They were the longest fries. First thing everybody at the table said when the plate was dropped.

2 Likes

Curry Fries at The Rose Venice

Fried perfectly and lightly dusted w/a tasty spice blend. No heat in the spice blend, but still a very tasty fry.

2 Likes

I’ve always hated Langer’s fries

wonder if I can get those great fries on a Delfina pizza?

1 Like

Now that would be something. They are right next to each other but different kitchens. Forgot about the wonderful Delfina fries.

Ah, I thought the pizzeria was offering fries topping…ha,ha!

1 Like

Two entries for the crispy potatoey goodness list.

Son of a Gun (Beverly-Grove) - Kennebec French Fries w/Malt Vinegar Aïoli

Hatchet Hall (Culver City) - Old Bay Fries, Spicy Ketchup & Jalapeño Aïoli

15 Likes

Apple Pan?! Best French fries? No. They suck. Had them last night. McDonald’s is much better by a long shot. To give these nasty boring fries spuds makes this whole list useless. That said, Hungry Cat had very good fries, but they’re gone. Petit Trois are passable as are Father’s Office. But not great. (yet don’t compare to better fries you get in many joints in Paris). Best used to be Hal’s in Venice, but they’re gone too.

2 Likes

McD’s fries are Terri-bad they may have been good at one time but that age is long gone. If they are not already limp by the time you get them they are on their way. Commonly under cooked and no flavor. At least at Apple pan they reliably have clean oil and the fries stay crispy for your entire meal.

Thicker fries are better in every way to thinner. Sorry McD’s and F.O… But you are right burgers and fries are not bad in Paris and Coffee is better than it used to be as well

1 Like

Last week I got some and… mind blown. They were hot as hell, perfectly cooked and they were nicely salted. They didn’t survive long enough to see how long to turn limp. Good dose of bonus fries at the bottom of the bag…With all my might… I had to resist making a u-turn to go back for more.

fuck, I want some now.

6 Likes

I wish I had your luck at McD’s but even growing up in the early 80’s I preferred the Carl’s jr fries to McD’s they were like mash potatoes on the inside and super crispy on the outside -the best.

1 Like

You take that back!!! Thinner (and shoestring) fries are ALWAYS the correct choice. :slight_smile:

I don’t have McD’s very often, but like @Gr8pimpin, I inhale the fries very quickly (as in, usually half done by the tie b/f I get to my destination).

I thankfully have never had a single batch that was mainly bad, but the few soggy fries I’ve had at McD were truly gross.

Are the Carl Jr’s regular fries like their crisscut? I love the seasoning on the crisscut, but they really do need to be crispy on the outside (and they are not consistently). Otherwise, it’s too much soft-on-soft mush. And, when I tried the crisscut most recently (which would’ve been a few yrs ago), not enough flavor on the inside for me.

2 Likes

The fries or frites at wurstkuche are some of my favorite in the city. I haven’t been in so long :frowning:

8 Likes

I too loved the fries at Wurstkuche, with all those sauces, (and the sausages are very good as well!) High on the list for when we visit L.A. next.

2 Likes

Happens most of the time at my local McD and they charge $4.xx+ for the honor. On the plus side an air fryer really brings them back to life.

4 Likes

Apparently they would get potato pellets in and had a machine that extruded them straight into the frier!

Edit, found a pic of them on Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/80sfastfood/comments/wdqjns/anyone_else_remember_carls_jr_used_to_have/

7 Likes

I was starting to feel the same way about McD fries and proclaimed on the confession thread that imo Jack in the Box fries are now better. :astonished: I still don’t think McD fries are as good now that they’re not fried in tallow, but I must alter my opinion. I think it depends on the location. The fries at the McD a couple blocks from our home are terrible - no problem with limp fries as they’re stiff, dry and taste like cardboard. But! I had some at the McD on Whittier Blvd in Whittier recently and they were pretty perfect. Crispy, but with that signature squidgy, potatoey, little bend in the middle. :yum: My DIL who lives near that McD doesn’t agree. She says “Wendy’s fries rule.” So I guess it’s subjective.

4 Likes

The fries at Violet Bistro is Westwood are insanely good (as is the chicken and the burger).

4 Likes