" _________________ to become the LA Times main restaurant critic."

Any thoughts?
I’m going to speculate that it will not be an already known critic but it will be some who is widely known.
Perhaps a restaurateur…
#bigshoestofill

I think they should hire Chowseeker and send him/her to some NYC standards.

2 Likes

Are newspaper food critics even relevant anymore?

2 Likes

Pretty sure that question was definitively answered when @kevin got the job.

4 Likes

Gold was in a class by himself both as a food writer and as an expert on the Los Angeles food scene.

Just sent them my Curriculum Vitae… Wish me luck.

3 Likes

Are you suggesting Dr. Soon-Shiong for the position?

Actually I kinda work with Patrick from time to time. Now that you mention it, I just might whisper in his ear… (evil smirk)

1 Like

Unlike most newspaper owners today, seems like he’s ready to pay for quality as defined by his advisors.

1 Like

Some of these people are surely on the short list:

What do you suppose a job like that would pay? I just can’t imagine that it’s an enormous number.

I thought you liked @kevin

Taking that job is like replacing Chick Hearn for the Lakers or Vin Scully for the Dodgers when it comes to LA food reviews.

4 Likes

It’s got to be for the love. I haven’t worked in a year . Gotta call ,want to work . Hell yea. Love showing up at 8 am with my lunch packed . I don’t even know what I am being paid . Lol

1 Like

You’re funny, Em. You’re retired, right? Love it!

It feels good to get back in the pool.

Of course I do - we are close friends. There’s nothing in that statement to the contrary and I am quite sure he’d heartily agree, the subversive fuck.

2 Likes

Good for you for speaking up for a friend.

1 Like

Ugh, not a New Yorker who I think, no matter how open-minded, will inevitably see our city through tainted East Coast lenses. Besides, any out-of-towner taking on this mantle without having actually lived here for a spell would need to undertake the herculean task of just catching up to speed with the living, complex beast that our local food scene has become in even just the past 5 years.

5 Likes

I like what Peter Meehan does, but I don’t feel like his strengths are in restaurant reviews and I don’t think he can make his writing about the food and the people that prepare it without making it about himself in a way.

He seems to be at his best when he’s writing about his own path of discovery. I’d like to see someone at least try to take of the mantle that Jonathan Gold created.

Also, and I hesitate to go down this road, but maybe such a diverse city does need someone who isn’t writing about the best food the city has to offer as an outsider. Maybe we would do well having a Chicano Angeleno or a Korean Angeleno or a Chinese Angeleno or . . . someone who has a deep cultural vocabulary with at least one of the traditional foodways that is well represented in LA.

I love me some Jonathan Gold, but maybe it’s time to hear a voice from a different background.

10 Likes