Under the Radar Chinese Cuisine SGV

Hello everyone! Having been to most of the places on the “must go” lists, I am looking for awesome regional Chinese restaurants that have slipped through the cracks or in your opinion/experience are underrated. I try to head to SGV from Culver City at least once a week either on Saturday or Sunday. Thank you for your recommendations!

Hello and welcome. What places have you been to and what have you enjoyed? Might help so that people don’t make recs to places you’ve already been.

1 Like
1 Like

Welcome to FTC!!!

2 Likes

it would also help us discern your palate and knowledge of chinese cuisine. FWIW, when i see a general question along the lines of “what is the best chinese restaurant in the SGV?”, part of me wonders if the person asking actually knows chinese food, as those familiar with it would be aware of the regional differences. it would also help to get clarification on what ‘under the radar’ means.

Welcome to FTC Erling!
20 goals in 14 appearances is amazing and not “under the radar” at all.

If I were you, I would reward myself with a meal at these SGV destinations:

Ruby BBQ Food
https://www.yelp.com/biz/ruby-bbq-food-el-monte

You Kitchen
https://www.yelp.com/biz/you-kitchen-alhambra

Dx-LAB

Northern Cafe on Garfield (not the ones on the Westside)
https://www.yelp.com/biz/northern-cafe-monterey-park

Wangjia
https://www.yelp.com/biz/wangjia-restaurant-san-gabriel-2

13 Likes

That would be some other thread. This one is someone who schleps from Culver City to the SGV most every week and is looking for places they’ve missed so far.

4 Likes

Seconding You Kitchen, Northern Cafe MP, and WangJia!

Also really liked Wen Hui Noodle Hours last time I was there, which I think is a rec i picked up elsewhere on this site.

2 Likes

Thank you guys so much for the warm welcome and replies!

Lately these have been the places I’ve been enjoying:
Ho Kee Cafe
Tams Noodle House
Shanghailander
Chengdu Impression
Elite
Sea Harbor
Lunasia
Dolans
Chong Qing Special Noodles

Looking to push my palate and try new things. Not afraid of spice or nose to tail eating. Haven’t really tried a true banquet style meal as well, wish I knew that many people haha.

4 Likes

FTC should do a Chinese New Year Banquet meetup worthy of our palates LOL. CNY 2023 is right around the corner on the calendar. #PrivateRoomTakeover #LazySusanAt33RPM

6 Likes

I’m in 100%. Let us feast.

2 Likes

I have been really enjoying Noodology lately, which may or may not be under the radar. Definitely a well balanced bowl of noodles with a nice amount of mala. I wish the noodles had a bit more QQ but overall, pleasantly surprised by how good it is.

4 Likes

Underrated spot is Meet Qin Noodle on Main St in Alhambra. It’s close to Yang’s Kitchen

3 Likes

I support this idea!

1 Like

We did a Dim Sum picnic recently with some friends at their house in Alhambra. It was AWESOME.

4 Likes

Yes!

Was at DX-Lab Saturday and noted I the line at Noodology across the street - never seen, or read about, the place before.

DX was EX-cellent: Spicy Crunchy Beef Noodles and (surprising, perhaps) Chinese pickles, were especially great. Wontons were fine too
Didn’t take any pics.

3 Likes

Is this a dry prep? Never heard of such a thing (but sounds quite tasty).

Spicy Crunch Beef Noodles: 生椒牛肉脆臊麵 [Shēng jiāo niúròu cuì sāo miàn] “Crispy Beef Noodles with Raw Pepper”

Sao noodles are a famous traditional snack in Zhangye, Gansu. It is different from the saozi noodles in other places in terms of taste and method. The traditional breakfast of the citizens of Zhangye, Gansu Province is deeply loved by the local people. The taste is mellow and spicy, and the aftertaste is endless after eating. It is often paired with steamed buns stuffed with leeks. Local famous food.

Zhangye Xun noodles pay attention to “thin, bright, and fine”, that is, the noodles should be thin, bright in color, and fine in taste. The traditional Sao noodle, the reconciled noodles are thinly rolled and finely cut by hand, shaped like leek leaves, and boiled in boiling water. Chicken soup is the best soup. Beef and pork rib soup are also available. After adding pepper and ginger powder to adjust the seasoning, add the appropriate amount of water starch to make the soup reach a certain color and concentration. The appearance of the soup after hooking is crystal clear. Bright and transparent, attractive color and fragrance. Add tofu slices at the end, and use chicken broth for authentic noodle soup. Lo mein soup, served with sliced meat, chopped green onion, coriander, and dried tofu. Local people usually go to noodle shops to buy spinach noodles or gray alkali noodles to make noodles. If there is no place to buy noodles and make them yourself, you should add alkali to the noodles to ensure their firmness and color of the noodles. When making soup, you should add starch to the soup to ensure the concentration of the soup. After dipping in the soup, the chopsticks are covered with about 1 mm of soup. Add pepper to make the soup slightly spicy. The time to cook the noodles should not be too long. After the noodles are cooked, take them out in time and put them in cold water for a while. How cold the noodles are is determined according to your eating habits. If you are not used to eating cold noodles, you can also put them in warm water.
The characteristic of Zhangye noodles is that they are rolled with double rolling pins. The noodles are shaped like leek leaves, thin like paper, and long like ribbons. They are chewy and have bones and tendons. After eating, they are full of fragrance. The saozi soup mixed with diced meat is full of fragrance, which will double your appetite, and you will never get tired of eating it.
More authentic noodle restaurants include: Cai Genxiang, a century-old restaurant, Liangmao Restaurant, Huanghong Restaurant in Shangqin Town

5 Likes

I took a few during my last visit to DX-LAB in September 2022 (which I enjoyed). Here’s a photo:

3 Likes